[IrishElk] On My Mind {DELIVERED}

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk] On My Mind {DELIVERED}

Postby irishelk » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:12 am

A perfectly healthy woman nervously walks down a street she has never visited before. Suddenly, she collapses on the sidewalk. What's going on?
Last edited by irishelk on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] On My Mind

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:38 am

Nervous...

For her physical safety? For the safety of someone else? For fear of being lost? Of not finding something? Of losing something tangible? Of losing something intangible (e.g. respect, or a relationship)?

Is the street in a relevant specific geographical location? A city/town? Time of day relevant? (Night? Day?)

Collapses...

Dies? Goes unconscious? Is she physically hurt? Did she collapse from fear? As a reaction to something? Was she physically struck/touched in some way?
Hobbsicle

Postby Earnest » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:08 am

Did she wear something relevant? Something relevantly tight/narrow? Shoes with heels? (She was not able to walk with heels/ she got caught somewhere) did she fall inside an opened gutter?
Collapse = faint? Did she really collapse? Did she fake to collapse?

Relevant that she has never visited the street? Relevant the reason why? Was the street hidden? Newly constructed? On heights? Google maps relevant? Was the street in a city? A city she knew well? Was the street a known street/touristic? Was it large maybe with two sidewalks? Were there relevantly shops? Air conditioning and reflection of sun on glasses relevant? Was the street relevantly full of people? Were there cameras? Did someone looked at her? Was she famous? Relevant her destination (did she have one?)? Parades relevant? Was she walking on the sidewalk?

Relevant why she was walking "nervously"? Was she in a rush? Was she scared to be noticed? Recognized? Was it rainy? Sunny? About to rain? Windy? Relevant? Was it night? Day? Was she scared about the possible presence of someone (e.g. criminals)? Was she going to take a public mean of transportation? Did her car broke? Maybe in the middle of the desert...was the woman immediately rescued?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:46 pm

Hobbsicle

Nervous...

For her physical safety? For the safety of someone else? For fear of being lost? Of not finding something? Possibly. Of losing something tangible? Of losing something intangible (e.g. respect, or a relationship)? Possibly, no to rest.

Is the street in a relevant specific geographical location? No. A city/town? Yes. Time of day relevant? (Night? Day?) Not really, assume day.

Collapses...

Dies? Goes unconscious? Is she physically hurt? Did she collapse from fear? As a reaction to something? Was she physically struck/touched in some way? No to all.

Earnest

Did she wear something relevant? Yes. Something relevantly tight/narrow? No. Shoes with heels? (She was not able to walk with heels/ she got caught somewhere) did she fall inside an opened gutter? No.
Collapse = faint? No. Did she really collapse? She really suddenly fell... Did she fake to collapse? But yes, she is faking.

Relevant that she has never visited the street? Not really. Relevant the reason why? Was the street hidden? Newly constructed? On heights? Google maps relevant? No to all.
Was the street in a city? Yes. A city she knew well? Yes. Was the street a known street/touristic? Irr. Was it large maybe with two sidewalks? Irr. Were there relevantly shops? No. Air conditioning and reflection of sun on glasses relevant? No. Was the street relevantly full of people? No, but there were probably some people around. Were there cameras? No. Did someone looked at her? Yesish. Was she famous? No. Relevant her destination (did she have one?)? Yes. Parades relevant? No. Was she walking on the sidewalk?Yes.

Relevant why she was walking "nervously"? Yes, but it will probably be harder to guess this first. Was she in a rush? Was she scared to be noticed? Recognized? No to these.
Was it rainy? Sunny? About to rain? Windy? Relevant? Was it night? Day? Irr.
Was she scared about the possible presence of someone (e.g. criminals)? No. Was she going to take a public mean of transportation? No. Did her car broke? No. Maybe in the middle of the desert... No. was the woman immediately rescued?Yes.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:05 pm

Ambupance relevant? Was it the fastest way to reach her destination?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Earnest
Ambulance relevant? No. Was it the fastest way to reach her destination? Yope to yesish.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:36 pm

Was she nervous that she might be late? That she might not find her destination? Did she fake fainting? Dying? Being injured? Did she want attention? Help? Directions?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:04 pm

GalFisk

Was she nervous that she might be late? Not relevantly. That she might not find her destination? Not relevantly.
Did she fake fainting? Yes. Dying? No. Being injured? Noish. Did she want attention? Yes. Help? Of a sort, yes. Directions? No.
irishelk

Postby irishelk » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:28 pm

*********************RECAP

She is walking down the sidewalk of a city street during the day, among other pedestrians, with a definite destination. She is not lost; she is in her home city, though she has not relevantly been to this exact spot before. The reason she's nervous is relevant, but somewhat vague/difficult to guess. No one and nothing touches her before she falls; she is wearing something relevant, but it is not overly hot or constrictive. She is pretending to faint.

Someone immediately comes to her rescue, which is what she wants to happen.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:13 am

Relevant who comes to her rescue? Relevant what things are done to rescue her? Does she admit to faking? Is it evident that she was faking?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:41 am

GalFisk

Relevant who comes to her rescue? Yes. Relevant what things are done to rescue her? Yes. Does she admit to faking? Not necessarily. Is it evident that she was faking? To some.
irishelk

Postby irishelk » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:11 pm

A little hint to revivify this one:

The people who come to her aid are the ones who can tell she's faking.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:07 am

Can we consider the people coming to her rescue accomplices? Is some criminal activity going on here? Did she collapse im a relevant part of the sidewalk? Near a relevant building? Near a relevant house? Near a relevant car (e.g. she fainted, accomplices come to rescue her and as an excuse they "borrow" the car which was next to her which was a luxory car. In the emergency the man driving did not notice that they all entered his car. Later on they stole his car thretening him)?

If no criminal activity is involved, did she faint to jump a row? To take precedence? Do people left once rescued her? Go with her to a relevant place?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:22 am

Is she an actor? A stuntperson? A street performer? Is her profession important? Is her clothing related to it?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Earnest

Can we consider the people coming to her rescue accomplices? Yes, for SVV. Is some criminal activity going on here? Technically, yes. Did she collapse in a relevant part of the sidewalk? Yes... Near a relevant building? Near a relevant house? This. Near a relevant car (e.g. she fainted, accomplices come to rescue her and as an excuse they "borrow" the car which was next to her which was a luxory car. In the emergency the man driving did not notice that they all entered his car. Later on they stole his car thretening him)? No to rest, but good idea! (for a puzzle, not to actually do :lol: )

If no criminal activity is involved, did she faint to jump a row? To take precedence? No, except in a very vague way that would mislead. Do people left once rescued her? No. Go with her to a relevant place? YES.

trebor

Is she an actor? A stuntperson? A street performer? Is her profession important? No to all. Is her clothing related to it? She is wearing one relevant thing.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:20 am

Is it safe to say that her fainting is part of a criminal plan, then? Can the rescuers tell she’s faking because they knew beforehand that she would? Are they in on the crime? Does the actual criminal event occur after she faints? Before? Is the place they go to a hospital? Medical facility of another stripe? Someplace for her to rest? Does she relevantly fake any injuries?

Is the relevant thing she’s wearing worn on her feet? Legs? Waist area? Torso? Arms/hands? Neck? Head?
trebor

Postby Earnest » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:02 am

No to rest, but good idea! (for a puzzle, not to actually do :lol: )--> well I know sometimes I have a criminal mind :twisted:

Do other people come with the accomplices to rescue her? If so, did the accomplices hope that? Do some accomplice pretend to be a doctor? That the lady needs water?
Go with her to a relevant place? YES. --> inside the house? Does the house belong to someone relevant?

Did they choose a certain house specifically? An house with some relevant characteristic? Did they pretend that the cause of the fainting was something present inside the house? Outside the house (e.g. a dog; some technology; they pretend that the lady had a pacemaker...)? Fear of the lady?

She is wearing one relevant thing. --> a bag? does the relevant thing she Is wearing allows her to fake a realistic fainting (e.g. bodice)? To enter the house after the fainting (e.g. she wears a sort of uniform which made the owner of the house quite confident and calm); a weapon? Make up (to make her pale)? Does It allow the accomplices to do something relevant? Was the relevant clothing item taken off by accomplices? Taken by accomplices? Used to do something relevant?
Does she wear a badge? a t-shirt with some relevant writing? Something that identifies her as a trusted person? as an important person?

Is the criminal activity = theft? Murder?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:08 pm

trebor

Is it safe to say that her fainting is part of a criminal plan, then? I think this will throw you off track--what they're doing is technically against some laws, but not a typical "crime." Can the rescuers tell she’s faking because they knew beforehand that she would? Yes. Are they in on the crime? Given above disclaimer, yes. Does the actual criminal event occur after she faints? This. Before? Actually, probably this too, but irr to the puzzle. Is the place they go to a hospital? No. Medical facility of another stripe? Noish. Someplace for her to rest? Yes. Does she relevantly fake any injuries? No.

Is the relevant thing she’s wearing worn on her feet? Legs? Waist area? Thisish. Torso? Arms/hands? Neck? Head?

Earnest

well I know sometimes I have a criminal mind :twisted: "You know, Watson, I don't mind confessing to you that I have always had an idea that I would have made a highly efficient criminal." ~The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton

Do other people come with the accomplices to rescue her? No, all rescuers are in on it. If so, did the accomplices hope that? Do some accomplice pretend to be a doctor? No. That the lady needs water? Not relevantly.
Go with her to a relevant place? YES. --> inside the house? Yes. Does the house belong to someone relevant? Yesish.

Did they choose a certain house specifically? No. An house with some relevant characteristic? Did they pretend that the cause of the fainting was something present inside the house? No. Outside the house (e.g. a dog; some technology; they pretend that the lady had a pacemaker...)? Yope. Fear of the lady? No.

She is wearing one relevant thing. --> a bag? Sort of! does the relevant thing she Is wearing allows her to fake a realistic fainting Yesish. (e.g. bodice)? Not this. To enter the house after the fainting (e.g. she wears a sort of uniform which made the owner of the house quite confident and calm); It gives a reason for her to. a weapon? No. Make up (to make her pale)? No. Does It allow the accomplices to do something relevant? Yes. Was the relevant clothing item taken off by accomplices? Eventually, yes (or by her). Taken by accomplices? Irr. Used to do something relevant? Not more than you have already discovered.
Does she wear a badge? a t-shirt with some relevant writing? Something that identifies her as a trusted person? as an important person? No to rest.

Is the criminal activity = theft? Murder? No.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:25 pm

Does the bag contain something relevant? A laptop? Does she wear it on her shoulders? Does it prevent her to be hurt? Does the bag contain a relevant medicine, or better the empty package of a relevant medicine which allows her to claim that she forgot to take her pills? Did she pretend to suffer from some relevant disease?

Crime = against the owner if the house? Did they take something from the house? Energy supplies? Data? Technology relevant? Is the crime a minor crime? Identity theft? False accusation? Did they put something inside the house? To escape? To hide?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:08 pm

Earnest

Does the bag contain something relevant? Not specifically, and though it does contain something, calling it a bag might throw you off. A laptop? No. Does she wear it on her shoulders? No (though there might be shoulder straps). Does it prevent her to be hurt? No. Does the bag contain a relevant medicine, or better the empty package of a relevant medicine which allows her to claim that she forgot to take her pills? No. Did she pretend to suffer from some relevant disease? Yope, maybe for a SVV of "disease."

Crime = against the owner if the house? No. Did they take something from the house? No. Energy supplies? Data? Technology relevant? No to all. Is the crime a minor crime? Yes, even thinking of it as a crime will probably throw you off. Identity theft? False accusation? Did they put something inside the house? To escape? To hide? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Pouch relevant? (Maybe too tight)
Tourist guides relevant?

Incredibly out of track WAG --> Maybe she pretend to be the representative of some charity association...the accomplices took her into the house and fake to give her money for the association. The owner felt obliged to do the same...

So maybe she wanted to be borrowed something? Medicines relevant? Did she pretebd to suffer from stomachache? Indigestion?

Minor crime = against so.eone in particular? street legislation relevant?
When entering inside the house, were they able to avoid someone? Something?
Is "entering inside the house" per se a minor crime? Did they "commit the crime" when entering the house? In that specific moment? Had the house had a yard, would the crime be committed even if they stopped in the yard?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:52 am

Was the relevant item worn under her clothes? Did she pretend to be someone she's not? Or something? Could the "something" in the bag be (almost) anything, is the important thing just that it's filled with something?
Zanreo

Postby irishelk » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:21 pm

Earnest

Pouch relevant? (Maybe too tight) No, except by the same very loose definition as "bag."
Tourist guides relevant? No.

Incredibly out of track WAG --> Maybe she pretend to be the representative of some charity association...the accomplices took her into the house and fake to give her money for the association. The owner felt obliged to do the same... No, FA lurking.

So maybe she wanted to be borrowed something? Medicines relevant? Did she pretebd to suffer from stomachache? Indigestion? No to all.

Minor crime = against someone in particular? No or not relevantly. street legislation relevant? No.
When entering inside the house, were they able to avoid someone? Something? No.
Is "entering inside the house" per se a minor crime? No. Did they "commit the crime" when entering the house? No. In that specific moment? No. Had the house had a yard, would the crime be committed even if they stopped in the yard? No.

Zanreo

Was the relevant item worn under her clothes? YES. Did she pretend to be someone she's not? Noish. Or something? YES. Could the "something" in the bag be (almost) anything, is the important thing just that it's filled with something? More or less. It has certain characteristics, but could be almost any material. It could even be solid rather than filled with something.
irishelk

Postby Zanreo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:23 pm

Did she pretend to be pregnant, wearing a stuffed bag under her clothes?
Zanreo

Postby trebor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:11 pm

I both hate and like it when someone asks the question that’s come to my mind before I do! I knew I should’ve sprung into action on the pregnancy belly front.
trebor

Postby irishelk » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Zanreo

Did she pretend to be pregnant, wearing a stuffed bag under her clothes? Yes!

trebor

I both hate and like it when someone asks the question that’s come to my mind before I do! I knew I should’ve sprung into action on the pregnancy belly front. Ah yes, I know that pain.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 am

Maybe she had some other disease and had not time/insurance/possibility to go to the hospital. The owner of the house was a doctor and in taht way she got a priority first class visit
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:47 pm

Earnest

Maybe she had some other disease and had not time/insurance/possibility to go to the hospital. The owner of the house was a doctor and in taht way she got a priority first class visit Good thought, but no.

FYI, I'll be out of town and probably won't be able to answer questions for about a week.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:50 pm

Is it relevant what she or her accomplices did while inside the house? Is the time period relevant here? Is this during wartime? Does it matter in which country this takes place? While inside they house did they communicate with anyone elsewhere? Did they stay in the house for more than: a few minutes? Hours? Days? Months? Were they searching for anything in the house? Was the house owned by anyone when they entered it? (Thinking of possible wartime situations where homeowners might have fled or something.)
trebor

Postby Earnest » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:12 am

Is her fake fainting related to her fake being pregnant? Did she fake to be pregnant of more than 8 months? To be about to give birth?

Was it important in their plans that the "victim" perceived that she was pregnant? Did they ask help to the victim? If so, for something related to her pregnancy? Or her pregnancy was kind of something for adding help to help, let's say...? (E.g. it was to give urgency/priority to the event) or maybe someone parked in front of the driveway of the man. She faked to be pregnant in order to divert the attention of the man from the car?
Is their main aim to divert the attention of the victim from something else? From something happening in the garden of his house? In front of his house?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:53 pm

trebor

Is it relevant what she or her accomplices did while inside the house? Yes. Is the time period relevant here? Yes, within a large range. Let's say 1930s. Is this during wartime? Not relevantly. Does it matter in which country this takes place? Not really.
While inside they house did they communicate with anyone elsewhere? No. Did they stay in the house for more than: a few minutes? Hours? Days? Months? Probably a few hours. Were they searching for anything in the house? No. Was the house owned by anyone when they entered it? Yes. (Thinking of possible wartime situations where homeowners might have fled or something.)

Earnest

Is her fake fainting related to her fake being pregnant? Yes. Did she fake to be pregnant of more than 8 months? To be about to give birth? Yes.

Was it important in their plans that the "victim" perceived that she was pregnant? No, and I think using the term "victim" is leading you off-track. Did they ask help to the victim? Did they ask the "victim"? No. If so, for something related to her pregnancy? Or her pregnancy was kind of something for adding help to help, let's say...? (E.g. it was to give urgency/priority to the event) Not really. or maybe someone parked in front of the driveway of the man. She faked to be pregnant in order to divert the attention of the man from the car? Not like this.

Is their main aim to divert the attention of the victim from something else? No--her fake fainting is in a sense distracting or deceiving, but not the "victim" of their acts. From something happening in the garden of his house? In front of his house? FA lurking.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:46 pm

Relevant the high mortality rate of children and mothers in 1930's? Did the man (avoiding to calling "victim") help her inside the house? Did the accomplices? Did they follow the instructions of the man? Gave him directions? Did they call a midwife?

Relevant that inside the house they were unseen (were they?)? Did the woman continue to fake to be pregnant? Was it cold outside? Was there a storm? Did they use a telephone inside the house? Look for something? Search an object? A valuable object? A paper? A proof? Something that only the man had? That they knew the man will have? Is religion relevant? Culture?

Did the man and the accomplices took her inside of the man's house? Inside of the man's place of work? Inside of a public place? Inside of someone else's house? Did they use relevant tools to help her? Brought her water?

Did they exit from the house of the man having a relevant benefit that they did not have before entering? If so an object? A need satisfied? Did they want to test the man? To test his abilities in helping/giving first aid? Dkd the man have something they wanted? Something many people wanted? Did the man work with clothing? Orphanages relevant?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:09 pm

Is it relevant who owned the house? Were they a HAM?

Was she trying to gain money through the fake pregnancy? Or fame?

Was she hiding anything in her pregnancy belly? Elsewhere on/in her person? Is it more the actions of her cohorts than her that are the point of the situation? I can’t remember if this has been asked, but does she know her cohorts outside of this event? Are they friends of hers? Relatives? Are their professions relevant?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Earnest

Relevant the high mortality rate of children and mothers in 1930's? Only very indirectly. Did the man (avoiding to calling "victim") help her inside the house? FA. Did the accomplices? Yes. Did they follow the instructions of the man? Gave him directions? FA. Did they call a midwife? No.

Relevant that inside the house they were unseen (were they?)? They were not. Did the woman continue to fake to be pregnant? No. Was it cold outside? Was there a storm? Irrel, assume no. Did they use a telephone inside the house? Not relevantly. Look for something? Search an object? A valuable object? A paper? A proof? No to all. Something that only the man had? That they knew the man will have? FA. Is religion relevant? Culture? Indirectly.

Did the man and the accomplices took her inside of the man's house? FA. The accomplices took her inside a house, yes. Inside of the man's place of work? Inside of a public place? Inside of someone else's house? No to rest. Did they use relevant tools to help her? No. Brought her water? No.

Did they exit from the house of the man having a relevant benefit that they did not have before entering? FA, but... If so an object? There is something taken out of the house that she didn't go in with. A need satisfied? In a sense, yes. Did they want to test the man?To test his abilities in helping/giving first aid? Dkd the man have something they wanted? FA. Something many people wanted? FA, but somewhat on the right track. Did the man work with clothing? FA. Orphanages relevant? YES.

trebor

Is it relevant who owned the house? Yes. Were they a HAM? Multiple people, H/A/genders irrelevant.

Was she trying to gain money through the fake pregnancy? Or fame? No.

Was she hiding anything in her pregnancy belly? No. Elsewhere on/in her person? No. Is it more the actions of her cohorts than her that are the point of the situation? Somewhat--both are important. I can’t remember if this has been asked, but does she know her cohorts outside of this event? They have likely spoken before. Are they friends of hers? No. Relatives? No. Are their professions relevant? Yes.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Was the house the man's house? Did the presence of the man allowed them to enter the house? Was the house the man's house? Did someone relevantly exchange the man for the father? Losing her child relevant? Did they take an orphan?

Relevant what happens if someone gives birth on a street? Did she have already a child?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:09 pm

Earnest

Was the house the man's house? Did the presence of the man allowed them to enter the house? Was the house the man's house? Did someone relevantly exchange the man for the father? Sorry, still an FA in all these questions.

Losing her child relevant? No. Did they take an orphan? Yope.

Relevant what happens if someone gives birth on a street? No. Did she have already a child? No.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:03 am

Was it a particular time in the year? Christmas? Easter? A Sunday (so that no one was working?)? Others? Winter? Summer?

FA: Man = a woman? Profession of accomplices = related to pregnant women? Related to orphans? Were they authorities? Street sellers? Store owners? Actors? Did they work in the nearby? Related to chimneys? To light up streets (so that they had the tools to climb up buildings)?

Was the owner of the house a member of the cohort of people? The woman faking herself? The other one (supposing that the FA was on the gender)? No one particularly? Was the house an orphanage? Was it near an orphanage (e.g. it was the nearest house/it offered a good place to hiddenly go inside the orphanage)? Were there orphans? If so in an orphanage? Was the house private? Is the owner's profession relevant? Is the positioning of the house relevantly strategic? Nuns relevant? Blind people? Old people?

Were they looking for an orphan in particular? One related to the woman? To the cohort of people? More orphans? Jews relevant? Did orphans went outside the orphanage to see what happens? To help?
Did they fake that the orphan taken was the new born child?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:50 pm

Earnest

Was it a particular time in the year? No. Christmas? Easter? A Sunday (so that no one was working?)? Others? Winter? Summer? Irr. to all.

FA: Man = a woman? Depends on what/who you mean when you're saying "the man." There's no particular man relevant.
Profession of accomplices = related to pregnant women? Yesish. Related to orphans? Yes. Were they authorities? As in police/law? No. Street sellers? Store owners? Actors? Did they work in the nearby? Yes! In fact... Related to chimneys? To light up streets (so that they had the tools to climb up buildings)? No to rest.

Was the owner of the house a member of the cohort of people? Yes--I'll give you this. The cohort/accomplices are the owners of the house. FA resolved. =)
The woman faking herself? No. The other one (supposing that the FA was on the gender)? So, there is no separate homeowner. No one particularly? Was the house an orphanage? YES--for SVV. Was it near an orphanage (e.g. it was the nearest house/it offered a good place to hiddenly go inside the orphanage)? Were there orphans? In the house, yes. If so in an orphanage? Was the house private? It is privately owned, but there is a business of a sort going on here. Is the owner's profession relevant? So yes. Is the positioning of the house relevantly strategic? Nuns relevant? Blind people? Old people? No to rest.

Were they looking for an orphan in particular? One related to the woman? To the cohort of people? More orphans? Jews relevant? Did orphans went outside the orphanage to see what happens? To help? No to these.

Did they fake that the orphan taken was the new born child? Yesish!--I think you've got it?
irishelk

Postby trebor » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:21 am

So she pretended to be pregnant and then left the orphanage with one of the babies? To give the baby a better life? To avoid any paperwork that would go with officially adopting?

I was stuck on that FA as well because I thought we’d established it was a random house...
trebor

Postby irishelk » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:55 am

trebor

So she pretended to be pregnant and then left the orphanage with one of the babies? You got it! To give the baby a better life? Yes. To avoid any paperwork that would go with officially adopting? Not exactly, see below.

I was stuck on that FA as well because I thought we’d established it was a random house... Yeah, not sure where that came from--I might have confused things by saying yes it was a crime (although it is!), because that implied a victim...which was thought to be the homeowner...etc.

************************SPOILER

This was a tactic sometimes used by women up through the early 20th century if they wanted to adopt a child, which unfortunately had a large stigma against it for a long time (partly because children who were orphaned or given up were thought to be of lower class or unfit parents...lot of icky eugenicist thinking there). So an upper class woman would pretend to be pregnant--sometimes even to her husband and family!--and then go walking down the street where the slightly shady adoption agency was housed. She would pretend to faint or injure herself in some way that brought on "labor," and the adoption people would help her inside to "deliver." Then she had an explanation where this baby suddenly came from.

Though on its surface it's a clever and harmless scheme, unfortunately some of these orphanages/agencies were extremely shady, to the point of stealing babies from poorer families to sell them to rich women. The babies were also often neglected while they awaited homes, and sometimes died. One of the worst offenders was Georgia Tann; the podcast Criminal did a great episode on her outrageous crimes, which includes this story: https://thisiscriminal.com/episode-110- ... -3-15-2019
irishelk

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles