[raevenclaw] Color Me Surprised

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[raevenclaw] Color Me Surprised

Postby raevenclaw » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:16 am

You find yourself in a room. Proceed.

i started running this once before, but left the forum because of school, so if it feels familiar that's probably why. basically, this is a new type of latventure i’m trying out. fortunately, we did not actually reach a point where the 'new type' bit came into play. as such, it’s probably going to be fairly short, and more of a proof-of-concept. also, it being short will reduce the chance that i get overwhelmed and abandon it again. am i stealing the title from my past self? absolutely, it was a good title, i'm not letting it go to waste.
raevenclaw

Re: [raevenclaw] Color Me Surprised

Postby Earnest » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:18 am

Hi ravenclaw! Welcome back.

So, please can you turn the light on if some? Is there a door? Is it opened? Can we explore the room? What's inside?

Can we exit the room? Are we free in our movements? Do we wear something relevant? Please, check inside your pockets. Do you find something relevant? Are there relevant windows? Holes in the floor? Is there someone else in the room? Is the room part of an house? Can you hear someone? Neighbours?
Earnest

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:42 pm

These types of puzzles are very entertaining, I have designed and hosted several of them.
CoffeeBean

Postby raevenclaw » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:27 am

Hi ravenclaw! Welcome back. thanks!

So, please can you turn the light on if some? Is there a door? Is it opened? Can we explore the room? What's inside? No need to turn a light on, the room is already well-lit. The room is fairly small, and while there are no doors, there do seem to be two door-sized silver frames on the wall opposite you. However, they're just framing more wall.

Can we exit the room? No obvious way presents itself. Are we free in our movements? Within the room, yes. Do we wear something relevant? Please, check inside your pockets. Do you find something relevant? You are wearing simple clothing, consisting of a loose shirt and pants, both a light blue. No pockets, but you are holding a Basket O' Holding (note: originally coined by kaylee, a basket with infinite space inside it, meant to make toting various puzzle-solving items around easier). Inside, you see a device that looks like an iPad Are there relevant windows? Holes in the floor? You don't see any.. Is there someone else in the room? You do not currently see anyone else in the room. Is the room part of an house? Can you hear someone? Neighbours? If it is part of a house, it's an extremely strange one. You can't hear any neighbors or anything like that.

These types of puzzles are very entertaining, I have designed and hosted several of them. latventures are by far my favorite type of puzzle. i've always loved interactive fiction, and the fact that latventures have an actual human running them means they can get so much more creative! i love it! if you run another, i'll be sure to participate
raevenclaw

Postby Earnest » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:09 am

Is the device an iPad? If So can the iPad been used? Is it turned on? Has it got a battery? Is there an internet connection? Can we make a call? Can ee check our actual location?

You are wearing simple clothing, consisting of a loose shirt and pants, both a light blue --> do I remember if these clothes belong to me? Were they been given to me? Have I seen them wore by other people in the past? Maybe workers? Prisoners? Blue collars? Someone belonging to a specific category?

Is there something else in the Basket O' Holding?

Can we assume that we do not hear anything? Waves of the sea? Rain? Animals? Can we see what is the weather like? Is it hot? Cold? Do we want to escape the room? What is the material of the walls/floors? Are we tired? Do we feel good/healthy/as always? Do we have any scarf/symbol/tattoo? Something we did not have before entering the room? Relevant how we entered the room? Do we know who brought us there and how since there are no doors apparently? Are there eindows? Have all the exits been transformed into wall? Been closed? Are we on a height? (I am assuming there is gravity and all basic physic laws are respected)

No pockets...do we remember to have something with us that we do not have anymore? Are there mirrors? Is the rrom empty a part from the Basket? Can you please make pressure in any part of the walls? Is something moving? Any secret passage? Are the walls uniform? Can you knock on the walls to check if any echo is present/ if any relevant change in the sound happens? Mayve walls are void in some points or we can spot if they have been added later...
Earnest

Postby raevenclaw » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Is the device an iPad? No, although it looks similar enough that the operation of said device should be roughly the same. If So can the iPad been used? Is it turned on? It is not turned on, but you are able to turn it on. The screen displays the message 'Insufficient user values'. Has it got a battery? Presumably, yes, given that you were able to turn it on. Is there an internet connection? Can we make a call? Can ee check our actual location? You're not sure, given that the only thing the tablet seems to currently be able to do is display that message.

You are wearing simple clothing, consisting of a loose shirt and pants, both a light blue --> do I remember if these clothes belong to me? Were they been given to me? Have I seen them wore by other people in the past? Maybe workers? Prisoners? Blue collars? Someone belonging to a specific category? You're fairly certain they belong to you. And no, you don't remember seeing them, or a similar kind of clothing, being worn by others in the past.

Is there something else in the Basket O' Holding? Nope, just the tablet.

Can we assume that we do not hear anything? You can, and you would be correct. Waves of the sea? Rain? Animals? Can we see what is the weather like? Is it hot? Cold? While you cannot tell what the weather is like outside the room, it is perfectly comfortable within. Do we want to escape the room? While it is true that there are no apparent threats to your safety, you feel like staying in the same room forever would be pretty boring. What is the material of the walls/floors? The floor is tile, the walls are...whatever walls are usually made of. Are we tired? Do we feel good/healthy/as always? You do indeed. Do we have any scarf/symbol/tattoo? You do not. Something we did not have before entering the room? You're not sure because... Relevant how we entered the room? ...you have no idea how you got into the room. Do we know who brought us there and how since there are no doors apparently? You do not know. Are there eindows? Have all the exits been transformed into wall? Been closed? No windows, you assume either all exits were transformed into wall or you were teleported in here, given the complete lack of said exits. Are we on a height? (I am assuming there is gravity and all basic physic laws are respected) No, the floor is level (and yes, all basic physical laws are being respected).

No pockets...do we remember to have something with us that we do not have anymore? Well, aside from a general lack of freedom to move about the world at large as you please, you aren't missing anything. Are there mirrors? Nope. Is the rrom empty a part from the Basket? It is indeed. Can you please make pressure in any part of the walls? Is something moving? Any secret passage? Are the walls uniform? Can you knock on the walls to check if any echo is present/ if any relevant change in the sound happens? Mayve walls are void in some points or we can spot if they have been added later... You move about the room, pressing and knocking at various points. As far as you can tell, no secret passageways or weak points.
raevenclaw

Postby CoffeeBean » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:20 pm

See if the device has any way to enter information. Are there any controls along the edge of it? Any icons on the screen? Does the device respond in any way when you touch the screen?
So an examination of the room reveals no other objects, no windows, no markings of any kind? Just two framed sections of wall on one side of the room?
CoffeeBean

Postby Earnest » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:53 am

The screen displays the message 'Insufficient user values'. --> is it the only thing displayed? Are there relevant buttons? Green/red buttons? Confirm button? What if we press on the message? Fingerprints relevant?

Insufficient user values --> is it a meaningful complete sentence per se? Are the words displayed as in a sentence? As three different sentences? Had the device been used previously?(e.g. the screen been touched before?) Would the message have appeared anyway as soon as the device would have been turned on? Is it a sort of password? Enigma? Joke? Puzzle/riddle?

Is the writing written in a relevant font? As a code? With different colors/types/fonts? Is the rest of the screen black? Can we see the sentence clearly? Are the values referred to the user? Do any users have different "values"? Are there writings on the wall? Paintings?
Earnest

Postby raevenclaw » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:37 am

See if the device has any way to enter information. Are there any controls along the edge of it? Any icons on the screen? Does the device respond in any way when you touch the screen? You pull the tablet out of your Basket O' Holding. On the back is a light blue square, and the screen of the tablet is blank.
So an examination of the room reveals no other objects, no windows, no markings of any kind? Just two framed sections of wall on one side of the room? You examine the room. You see another person standing a few feet away from you. On the wall, there are two frames with a shimmering blue substance inside them.

The screen displays the message 'Insufficient user values'. --> is it the only thing displayed? Are there relevant buttons? Green/red buttons? Confirm button? What if we press on the message? Fingerprints relevant? Actually, the message has disappeared now, leaving the screen blank. You examine the tablet closer, and see that it now has a brown square on the back.

Insufficient user values --> is it a meaningful complete sentence per se? Are the words displayed as in a sentence? As three different sentences? Had the device been used previously?(e.g. the screen been touched before?) Would the message have appeared anyway as soon as the device would have been turned on? You get the feeling that had circumstances been different, the message would not have appeared. You also get the feeling that now that it is gone, it is no longer relevant. Is it a sort of password? Enigma? Joke? It was mainly a bit of a joke/reference to the first latventure I ever ran, in which there was a stereo with 'insufficient use values'. Puzzle/riddle?

Is the writing written in a relevant font? As a code? With different colors/types/fonts? Is the rest of the screen black? Can we see the sentence clearly? Are the values referred to the user? Do any users have different "values"? As mentioned, the screen is now blank. Are there writings on the wall? Paintings? Looking at the walls, you see that the two frames now contain a blue, shimmering substance.
raevenclaw

Postby Earnest » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:22 am

So it's me and CoffeeBean in the room right? So I am assuming HAM...

I guess I see a man too...so...has the man good intentions? Has he got something relevant? Any object/relevant clothing? Please ask info to the man. Is the man in our same situation? Can we consider each other friends? Competitors? Accomplices? Is the man free to move?

Brown square on the back: is it a hole? A key? A button? Is it in the middle of the device? On one of the corners? Is there written something? Is the brown square big (e.g. large enough to put a cable in it? Larger than a finger when you put on it?) Is it relevantly brown? Does it refer to the other man? Am I associated with blue and him to brown (I am basing on the color of the answers you are giving)? Are there other frames with brown substances? Can I reasonably infer that blue substance and blue square on the back are compatible and brown substance and brown square are too? Do we need to exchange tablets? For the moment however take the two frames and put them in your basket (assuming there are two one for each man). Examine the substance. Is it poisonous? Can you recognize the substance? Is it colored?

Is the substance solid? Liquid? Are the frames one next to the other? On opposite walls? Relevant? (E.g. one is nearer to the other man and one next to you) Do you recognize the substance? Can you take the frames? Examine the substance closer...are the frames relevantly 2?

Insufficient user values would not have appeared had i been alone in the room right?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:10 pm

Let's try tapping, double-tapping, and then pressing and holding the button on the back. Does anything happen to the device corresponding with those actions? Do those actions change anything within the room? Is the blue button the power button we hit the first time? If not, can we perform the same actions with it, checking for changes on the device and in the room, please?

Let's examine that shimmering substance. As you move closer to it, does the other person move as well? Is the substance a mirror? Some other reflective surface? Is it water? A portal? Can you stick your hand through it?

Assuming the other person is not just a reflected you, can you describe what they're wearing? What happens if you say hello to them?
trebor

Postby raevenclaw » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:21 am

ok so first off: apologies for the huge delay. i could have sworn i replied to these, but i guess i didn't? hopefully i should be a lot more consistent with replies in the future!
So it's me and CoffeeBean in the room right? So I am assuming HAM... Assuming that CoffeeBean is HAM, then yes.

I guess I see a man too...so...has the man good intentions? You assume so, given that he has not made any sort of aggressive move towards you. Has he got something relevant? Any object/relevant clothing? Please ask info to the man. He does not respond. You do note that he is wearing similar clothing to you, but brown. He is also holding a tablet similar to yours, but the square on the back is blue. Is the man in our same situation? You assume so. Can we consider each other friends? Competitors? Accomplices? Friends or this seems to be most accurate. Is the man free to move? Given that there are no obvious restraints on him, and that he moved earlier to pull the tablet out of his basket, you believe so.

Brown square on the back: is it a hole? A key? A button? This. Is it in the middle of the device? On one of the corners? Here. Is there written something? Is the brown square big (e.g. large enough to put a cable in it? Larger than a finger when you put on it?) Nothing is written on it, but it is large enough to comfortably push with your finger. Is it relevantly brown? Does it refer to the other man? Am I associated with blue and him to brown (I am basing on the color of the answers you are giving)? This would be correct. Are there other frames with brown substances? No, there are not. Can I reasonably infer that blue substance and blue square on the back are compatible and brown substance and brown square are too? Given that the blue substance in the frame is a very different shade (more of a blue-silver, really), as well as the lack of a brown substance, you assume they have nothing to do with each other. Do we need to exchange tablets? You feel this would be unhelpful. For the moment however take the two frames and put them in your basket (assuming there are two one for each man). You attempt to remove the frames, but they're attached very firmly. Examine the substance. Is it poisonous? Can you recognize the substance? Is it colored? You take a closer look. You don't recognize it, but it doesn't seem to be giving off a smell or vapor that might indicate that it's poisonous. As mentioned, it's a silvery-blue color.

Is the substance solid? Liquid? Are the frames one next to the other? On opposite walls? Relevant? (E.g. one is nearer to the other man and one next to you) Do you recognize the substance? Can you take the frames? Examine the substance closer...are the frames relevantly 2? The substance looks like a liquid, albeit a gravity-defying one given that it is staying in a vertical frame with no glass in front of it. They are both on the same wall. As mentioned, you don't recognize the substance, nor can you take the frames off the wall. You're pretty sure that the fact that there are two frames and currently two people in the room have no particular connection.

Insufficient user values would not have appeared had i been alone in the room right? other way 'round, actually: it appeared because you were alone in the room, and vanished once CoffeeBean appeared. in other words, when you were alone, there were insufficient users. also, as i said, mainly a reference to my first latventure.

Let's try tapping, double-tapping, and then pressing and holding the button on the back. Does anything happen to the device corresponding with those actions? You pull the tablet out of your basket. You turn it over and note two buttons: one blue and one brown. You tap the first button, and when you flip the device open, you see a chat messaging app has opened. Currently, no messages have been sent, although you could type one. You flip it back over and double-tap the blue button. When you look at the tablet's screen again, you see it is a first-person view of the room you are in. However, the two people in the room are wearing brown and green clothing. The person wearing green clothing is looking intently at their tablet screen. You try pressing and holding the blue button, but it has no effect. Doing the same to the brown button does the same things, although this time the view is a close-up of the portal frames.Do those actions change anything within the room? You look around, but nothing else in the room seems to have changed. Is the blue button the power button we hit the first time? If not, can we perform the same actions with it, checking for changes on the device and in the room, please? It is not. You try tapping, double-tapping, and tap-and-holding the power button, but it doesn't seem to affect anything on the device or in the room.

Let's examine that shimmering substance. As you move closer to it, does the other person move as well? The other two people remain stationary as you move. Is the substance a mirror? Some other reflective surface? No, you can't see anything in it. Is it water? A portal? Can you stick your hand through it? You stick your hand in the substance. Indeed, it passes right through the substance, and goes beyond where the wall should be. Probably a portal.

Assuming the other person is not just a reflected you, can you describe what they're wearing? What happens if you say hello to them? There are two others in the room. One is wearing brown clothing, the other blue. The one in brown is examining the substance in the portals. The one in blue seems to just be standing. You greet both of them, but get no response.
raevenclaw

Postby biograd » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Ok, so examine the tablet now. I assume it now has blue, brown, and green buttons on the back? I also assume there are three people in the room next to me dressed in blue, brown, and green, and there are still two portals on the wall with a blue substance?

Assuming all is correct, single-tap the blue button. Assuming that a message app pops up, write "Hello. Could you wave to me and write 'hello' back?". Then send. Watch the blue man to see if he responds, and of course also watch the screen.
biograd

Postby biograd » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:00 pm

By the way, I just had a guess as to what the "new bit" might be... though if I'm correct, once it's in effect then it might be *really* hard for a new player to jump in after that point. If I'm wrong with my guess, it would still be an interesting idea for a future latventure, provided that problem of how new players get in could be solved somehow.
biograd

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:46 am

I remember this from last time... it was very intriguing, and I want to be in this too!

I get my tablet and see if there's a way to send a message to all other people in the room. If not, I just press each button and send this message to each: "Hi all, I'm going to try to see what's beyond those frames. I'll begin with the left one".
Then I try to push my head through the left frame: what do I see?
Acridian9

Postby Earnest » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:22 am

So please press the button behing my tablet. Do I see me and Coffee on the tablets? Are we able to chat together? Are there cameras inside the room? On walls? On the tablet? Front and back cameras relevant? Can we find them? Does the tablet have other functionalities ?

Can we talk to each other? Please copy the acrion of coffee and put the hand inside the substance? Is rhere a portal as well? Is there a way to access it? Breaking the glass maybe? Is there a lever? If so maybe we should take it down all together?...Can I access the other liquids?
Earnest

Postby raevenclaw » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:07 am

[headdesk] i typed out most of the reply, had to leave for work, came back, finished it up, went to post it, and my login had timed out so the entire. thing. got. erased. which is why these answers are shorter. it's my second time having to type them. well, live and learn i guess.

Ok, so examine the tablet now. I assume it now has blue, brown, and green buttons on the back? I also assume there are three people in the room next to me dressed in blue, brown, and green, and there are still two portals on the wall with a blue substance? You would be correct!

Assuming all is correct, single-tap the blue button. Assuming that a message app pops up, write "Hello. Could you wave to me and write 'hello' back?". Then send. Watch the blue man to see if he responds, and of course also watch the screen. You do so. No response, but you do hear a 'ping!' noise come from the blue man's tablet.

By the way, I just had a guess as to what the "new bit" might be... though if I'm correct, once it's in effect then it might be *really* hard for a new player to jump in after that point. If I'm wrong with my guess, it would still be an interesting idea for a future latventure, provided that problem of how new players get in could be solved somehow. feel free to pm me with a guess, if you'd like! or you can just post it, i think most people have figured out the whole 'point' of the new kind of latventure i'm running now.

I remember this from last time... it was very intriguing, and I want to be in this too! welcome back! glad to have you!

I get my tablet and see if there's a way to send a message to all other people in the room. If not, I just press each button and send this message to each: "Hi all, I'm going to try to see what's beyond those frames. I'll begin with the left one". You push the rainbow button (that was totally here the whole time and not a new addition I made just now because this reply made me realize that would be a sensible addition) and send the message. You hear a 'ping!' noise come from everyone else's tablets.
Then I try to push my head through the left frame: what do I see? You see a door!

Alert: two new messages from: Biograd, Acridian9.
So please press the button behing my tablet. Do I see me and Coffee on the tablets? Are we able to chat together? Are there cameras inside the room? On walls? On the tablet? Front and back cameras relevant? Can we find them? Does the tablet have other functionalities ? You now have multiple buttons on the back of your tablet: brown, green, orange, and purple. You are indeed able to access the chat and camera functions. You can't see any cameras, but assume that the same technology that allows for gravity-defying liquid also accounts for the camera function. You can't find any other functions on the tablet.

Can we talk to each other? Yep. Please copy the acrion of coffee and put the hand inside the substance? Is rhere a portal as well? Is there a way to access it? Breaking the glass maybe? Is there a lever? If so maybe we should take it down all together?...Can I access the other liquids? So the only liquid in the room is the substance in the two frames on the wall. You stick your hand through the right frame (a person in purple is standing in front of the one on the left), and even after you should have hit the wall, you don't feel anything.
raevenclaw

Postby biograd » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:10 pm

feel free to pm me with a guess, if you'd like! or you can just post it, i think most people have figured out the whole 'point' of the new kind of latventure i'm running now.

My guess was that after a certain point (e.g. when we're not all in the same room anymore, because some of us have passed through portals), in order to use the messaging app on our tablets we would be required to use the PM feature of the LTPF to message each other. And then in order to perform an action that could change the state of the puzzle world, like walking through a portal, picking up an object, etc., we would need to PM you (the host), so you could not only reply to us to say what the result is, but also so you would know to take into account how that affects what others see and what their own actions do.

Otherwise, while we still would need to use the messaging app to ask another player to do us a "favor", like unlock a door from the other side, it would be kind of pointless to ask for any information this way, since we already know exactly as much as anyone else does about what he or she has seen. It would be kind of an annoying formality, like "we all know Earnest has seen the code for the lock on the wall of his room, but we *technically* don't know that, so we can't actually *use* it until he messages one of the people in the room with the lock about it".

The only information that could be "safely" be posted in the open forum would be a list of the people currently playing and their colors. Of course the problem with doing it that way (aside from it being more work to host than a typical puzzle) is precisely what I alluded to. Even though the host could send new players an initial message describing everything currently visible in the room they start in, and a new player would be free to message anyone else at any time to ask what that player already knows, the new player would still be at quite a disadvantage. Most importantly, there would be no way to know where the puzzle stands *before* jumping in, which I see as quite a deterrent for many.

Anyway, back to the puzzle--so now that I know the messages go through I'd like to try walking through the left one of the two portals.
biograd

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 pm

Is the door closed? can I reach it form here? If I can't, then I'd like to see what's beyond the other frame (without entering it).
Acridian9

Postby Earnest » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:04 am

Well to be honest (or earnest I should say,) I cannot see the difference between private chatting to someone and make a unique group chat since the messages send to someone are seen in the LTPF to the others as well. Well maybe the way to circumvent it is to PM someone privately and just share some info...mmmmm...beginning to be suspect. Also there is no point in using the tablets if we can talk to each other without chatting...so I am becoming curious about them...

Please repeat the action done by Acridian on the right frame. Is there a way to connect the tablets? What if we try to exchange them...ok I am becoming evil...
After that, please reply back to Biograd "Hello, I am coming." and go to him.
    1) If a door (opened? Closed? Does it need a key to be accessed? fingerprint? Something digital? Tablets?) appears, then ask Biograd to go on the right frame while asking Acridian if he needs help on his side;
    2) If nothing appears ask Biograd an opinion: what do you thing the right frame is there for? Maybe there is a key? The key to unlock the left door? What if we try to break the frame ?
Earnest

Postby raevenclaw » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:10 am

feel free to pm me with a guess, if you'd like! or you can just post it, i think most people have figured out the whole 'point' of the new kind of latventure i'm running now.

My guess was that after a certain point (e.g. when we're not all in the same room anymore, because some of us have passed through portals), in order to use the messaging app on our tablets we would be required to use the PM feature of the LTPF to message each other. And then in order to perform an action that could change the state of the puzzle world, like walking through a portal, picking up an object, etc., we would need to PM you (the host), so you could not only reply to us to say what the result is, but also so you would know to take into account how that affects what others see and what their own actions do.

Otherwise, while we still would need to use the messaging app to ask another player to do us a "favor", like unlock a door from the other side, it would be kind of pointless to ask for any information this way, since we already know exactly as much as anyone else does about what he or she has seen. It would be kind of an annoying formality, like "we all know Earnest has seen the code for the lock on the wall of his room, but we *technically* don't know that, so we can't actually *use* it until he messages one of the people in the room with the lock about it".

The only information that could be "safely" be posted in the open forum would be a list of the people currently playing and their colors. Of course the problem with doing it that way (aside from it being more work to host than a typical puzzle) is precisely what I alluded to. Even though the host could send new players an initial message describing everything currently visible in the room they start in, and a new player would be free to message anyone else at any time to ask what that player already knows, the new player would still be at quite a disadvantage. Most importantly, there would be no way to know where the puzzle stands *before* jumping in, which I see as quite a deterrent for many. ah, okay! yeah, i had this typed out in the first version of my last response but then, as mentioned, lost it but: yeah, essentially the tablets just function to give an in-universe explanation for why everyone knows stuff that, logically, should only be known to a certain few people, and don't serve a function beyond that. i just put them in because otherwise the fact that everyone knew things was bothering me, haha

Anyway, back to the puzzle--so now that I know the messages go through I'd like to try walking through the left one of the two portals. You walk through-and immediately the floor drops away from under you. You don't seem hurt, but looking up, the portal is now too far above you to reach. You look around and see a door on the wall opposite the portal.

Is the door closed? can I reach it form here? While you stand there looking at the door, a person dressed in orange walks past you and through the portal. Yes, the door is closed, and no, you are unable to reach it from the portal. If I can't, then I'd like to see what's beyond the other frame (without entering it). You look through the portal on the right. You see a lever.

Well to be honest (or earnest I should say,) I cannot see the difference between private chatting to someone and make a unique group chat since the messages send to someone are seen in the LTPF to the others as well. Well maybe the way to circumvent it is to PM someone privately and just share some info...mmmmm...beginning to be suspect. Also there is no point in using the tablets if we can talk to each other without chatting...so I am becoming curious about them... yeah, like i mentioned to biograd, the tablets are really just to explain stuff in-universe, and aren't necessary to message each other.

Please repeat the action done by Acridian on the right frame. Is there a way to connect the tablets? What if we try to exchange them...ok I am becoming evil... You also look through the portal on the right. You see a lever.
After that, please reply back to Biograd "Hello, I am coming." and go to him. You message him. Biograd has gone through the portal on the left, are you sure you want to follow him?
1) If a door (opened? Closed? Does it need a key to be accessed? fingerprint? Something digital? Tablets?) appears, then ask Biograd to go on the right frame while asking Acridian if he needs help on his side; Looks like Biograd has already gone through the portal on the left.
2) If nothing appears ask Biograd an opinion: what do you thing the right frame is there for? Maybe there is a key? The key to unlock the left door? What if we try to break the frame ? You message Biograd asking about the portals, but it looks like you know what's behind the right portal.

Alert: two new messages from: Earnest.

also, let me know if i screw up on genders! the ltpf bios don't have that info so i've been trying to just keep things neutral unless otherwise stated
raevenclaw

Postby Earnest » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:28 am

So quick recap (as if I stop thinking on my own for a second): there are 2 frames with liquid on them; two portals: a right one with a lever; a left one that which biograd walked through falling with a closed door. Biograd did not reach the door. The liquids are in the frames and cover the portals (that are behind the frames). Am I correct? And the liquids is still useless for the moment right? Btw I am a male :)

Did the liquid level drop? Increase? Did the liquid boil/change color/modify its initial status? Can it be measured/monitored (e.g. app on the tablet)? Are the liquids relevant at all or maybe they are needed just to hide the portals/avoid something?

Biograd has gone through the portal on the left, are you sure you want to follow him? --> not yet :?
Did biograd fall in a hole?
Please text biograd "Ehi is everything fine? wWhat do you see a part from the door opposite to the portal? Also, maybe if you try opening that door we could see if there is a connection with the right portal and the lever! (the lever could open that door). Pay attention!
Please turn the light of the tablet on. Could you begin a videochat so that we can monitor if the actions on the surface (e.g. lever pulling) have consequences on where you find yourself and viceversa?"
If the door seen by biograd opens after the lever has been pulled message acidian "Hello! What do you think if I try to reach biograd while you try to reach closed door on the left? Please keep us updated."

Can I reach the lever safely? Can the lever be pulled? Does the lever open a passage? The door (please check if it is possible not to fall)? Create a bridge to reach the door? Free the liquids (I don't want biograd to die...is the hole very deep? Can biograd be helped in case?)?
Earnest

Postby raevenclaw » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:19 am

So quick recap (as if I stop thinking on my own for a second): there are 2 frames with liquid on them; two portals: a right one with a lever; a left one that which biograd walked through falling with a closed door. Biograd did not reach the door. The liquids are in the frames and cover the portals (that are behind the frames). Am I correct? And the liquids is still useless for the moment right? Btw I am a male :) mostly correct, though the liquid isn't covering the portals, the liquid is the substance of the portals (so the empty frames weren't portals, but now that they have the liquid (portal substance), they are).

Did the liquid level drop? Increase? Did the liquid boil/change color/modify its initial status? Can it be measured/monitored (e.g. app on the tablet)? Are the liquids relevant at all or maybe they are needed just to hide the portals/avoid something? As mentioned, the liquids are only relevant in that they are the substance that the portals seem to be made out of.

Biograd has gone through the portal on the left, are you sure you want to follow him? --> not yet :?
Did biograd fall in a hole? Not really? While the room he's in does seem to be on a lower level than the one you're in, he's still on the same level as the door.
Please text biograd "Ehi is everything fine? wWhat do you see a part from the door opposite to the portal? Also, maybe if you try opening that door we could see if there is a connection with the right portal and the lever! (the lever could open that door). Pay attention!
Please turn the light of the tablet on. Could you begin a videochat so that we can monitor if the actions on the surface (e.g. lever pulling) have consequences on where you find yourself and viceversa?" You message him.
If the door seen by biograd opens after the lever has been pulled message acidian "Hello! What do you think if I try to reach biograd while you try to reach closed door on the left? Please keep us updated." just to make sure i'm interpreting this correctly: you don't want to send this now, but if someone pulls the lever, and the lever opens the door, i should act as though the message has been sent?

Can I reach the lever safely? Can the lever be pulled? Does the lever open a passage? The door (please check if it is possible not to fall)? Create a bridge to reach the door? Free the liquids (I don't want biograd to die...is the hole very deep? Can biograd be helped in case?)? You cannot reach the lever without going through the portal, and examining it more closely, it appears as though there's a similar drop-down from this portal. That said, it does look like you could easily reach the lever if you did go through the portal.
raevenclaw

Postby Earnest » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:04 am

So please pull the lever and message biograd :) what does happen on biograd's "level"?
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:57 pm

After Earnest enters the right portal, I take a look at that room searching for other obects or other ways out. Also, I'd try to evaluate the possibility to lift Earnest back up to the original room, without me completely enter the portal. I'd also want to look into the left room in search of objects, like a rope, to use for the above. Is it possible to give/take objects to/from Biograd/Earnest?
Acridian9

Postby biograd » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:26 am

Hmmm... so it seems the tablets in a way serve almost exactly the opposite purpose than what I thought. I thought they were there to allow a puzzle where we are all "non-omniscient", where we each see only a part of what happens and need to reconstruct the rest--whereas actually they are there so we plausibly *remain* omniscient despite doing different things.

That means that the idea of a latventure carried out mostly--or exclusively--through PMs, where each player is only told part of the "picture" by the host, is still untried. Now that that idea is planted in my head, I kind of want to try it! I haven't ever created a latventure on the LTPF despite being here over ten years, maybe this is my chance. If it falls flat for the reasons I mentioned, it could serve to discourage creating another one, but then it's not like I have the patience to create umpteen of them anyway.

Though come to think of it, given how this one is playing out, as long as players can communicate, it would probably end up that people would just immediately tell each other everything they see anyway, and it would become in effect another regular "omniscient" puzzle, albeit still having the downsides that it's more work to host and hard to join, so maybe I'll scratch that idea...

Anyway, enough thinking aloud for now. So, is the other side of (what before was) the *right* portal visible too (I'd gather if it was, it would appear to the *left* of the other portal to me now)? Is a lever visible from where I am? Is the door locked?
biograd

Postby raevenclaw » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:35 pm

So please pull the lever and message biograd :) what does happen on biograd's "level"? You enter the right portal, dropping down into the room, and pull the lever, messaging biograd afterwards.

After Earnest enters the right portal, I take a look at that room searching for other obects or other ways out. Also, I'd try to evaluate the possibility to lift Earnest back up to the original room, without me completely enter the portal. When you look into the right portal, you notice that there is now a ramp leading up to the portal, making it accessible. I'd also want to look into the left room in search of objects, like a rope, to use for the above. Is it possible to give/take objects to/from Biograd/Earnest? When you look into the left room, you see that the door is open, and that there is a ramp leading down from this portal as well. You assume it's possible to exchange objects between yourselves.

Hmmm... so it seems the tablets in a way serve almost exactly the opposite purpose than what I thought. I thought they were there to allow a puzzle where we are all "non-omniscient", where we each see only a part of what happens and need to reconstruct the rest--whereas actually they are there so we plausibly *remain* omniscient despite doing different things. yep!

That means that the idea of a latventure carried out mostly--or exclusively--through PMs, where each player is only told part of the "picture" by the host, is still untried. Now that that idea is planted in my head, I kind of want to try it! I haven't ever created a latventure on the LTPF despite being here over ten years, maybe this is my chance. If it falls flat for the reasons I mentioned, it could serve to discourage creating another one, but then it's not like I have the patience to create umpteen of them anyway.

Though come to think of it, given how this one is playing out, as long as players can communicate, it would probably end up that people would just immediately tell each other everything they see anyway, and it would become in effect another regular "omniscient" puzzle, albeit still having the downsides that it's more work to host and hard to join, so maybe I'll scratch that idea... well, if you do decide to run a puzzle like that, i'll be sure to join in!

Anyway, enough thinking aloud for now. So, is the other side of (what before was) the *right* portal visible too (I'd gather if it was, it would appear to the *left* of the other portal to me now)? Is a lever visible from where I am? Is the door locked? You only see the one portal, which is the one you just walked through. Otherwise, all that's in the room is the door. While you were looking around, a ramp grew up from the ground which leads to the portal, and the door swung open. You do get the feeling it was probably locked before, though.
raevenclaw

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:42 pm

Very good!
Let's open the door and see what's beyond it (without entering it).
Acridian9

Postby Earnest » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:59 pm

Let's do the same as Acridian but on the opposite side please.

BIOGRAD PLEASE REPLY :)
Earnest

Postby biograd » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:18 pm

I would like to try going through the (now unlocked) door.
biograd

Postby raevenclaw » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Very good!
Let's open the door and see what's beyond it (without entering it). You poke your head through the door. The room beyond looks very similar to the room you started in, with the exception that there are three portals, and one actual physical door on the opposite wall.

Let's do the same as Acridian but on the opposite side please. There's just the one door, which is in the room that didn't have the lever. Do you want to go over there?

BIOGRAD PLEASE REPLY :)

I would like to try going through the (now unlocked) door. You walk through the door, and see three portals, along with a physical door, on the opposite wall.

apologies for the late reply, turns out i only had the adventure mapped out until this room here, so i had to take some time to actually, y'know, plot things out. that said, i'm not sure how much longer it'll run? like i said at the beginning, this was always meant to be more of a proof-of-concept sort of think. idk. depends on how much stuff i can think up, i guess.
raevenclaw

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:39 pm

I walk into the room and try to open the door (which I bet is locked).
Then I take a look into the 3 portals.
Acridian9

Postby biograd » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:21 am

I message Earnest saying I have gone through the door on the opposite side of the left room, and there are three more portals and a door in the room on the other side. But I guess he already knows that.

I'm confused about the statement "the room that didn't have the lever" in your last reply to Earnest, who went through the right portal. Obviously the room behind the *left* portal had a door leading to a second room, which I have now passed through. However, all I can find about the view through the *right* portal is the existence of the lever, the fact that the floor, like the floor behind the left portal, was at a lower height relative to the starting room, and that a ramp appeared after the lever was pulled (like in the room on the left side). I find no mention of any portals or doors in the room behind the right portal, by which to infer that there was more than one room accessible behind that portal, as opposed to just the single one with the lever. Though now I'm wondering if by "the room that didn't have the lever" you meant the room behind the left portal, which he *could* enter by first going up the ramp back to the starting room.

Speaking of which, along with my response to Earnest telling him about the new room, I'd like to ask him to describe the room behind the right portal--particularly what (other than the lever) is on the walls?

Are the portals in the room I have just entered blue (referring to the color of the liquid), like the ones in the starting room? Is the newly found door in this room locked (not the one I entered through, the other one)?
biograd

Postby raevenclaw » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:25 pm

I walk into the room and try to open the door (which I bet is locked). You attempt to open the door. It is indeed locked.
Then I take a look into the 3 portals.In the left portal, you see a short hallway, which splits off into two paths, one leading right and the other leading left. In the middle portal, you see a room with a glass floor. Through the glass, you can see part of a maze, though the wall cuts off your view of half of it. Through the right portal is another room with a glass floor, again with part of a maze underneath.

I message Earnest saying I have gone through the door on the opposite side of the left room, and there are three more portals and a door in the room on the other side. But I guess he already knows that. You do so.

I'm confused about the statement "the room that didn't have the lever" in your last reply to Earnest, who went through the right portal. Obviously the room behind the *left* portal had a door leading to a second room, which I have now passed through. However, all I can find about the view through the *right* portal is the existence of the lever, the fact that the floor, like the floor behind the left portal, was at a lower height relative to the starting room, and that a ramp appeared after the lever was pulled (like in the room on the left side). I find no mention of any portals or doors in the room behind the right portal, by which to infer that there was more than one room accessible behind that portal, as opposed to just the single one with the lever. Though now I'm wondering if by "the room that didn't have the lever" you meant the room behind the left portal, which he *could* enter by first going up the ramp back to the starting room. yeah, by 'room that didn't have the lever' i mean the room behind the left portal! sorry if my wording was confusing there, haha

Speaking of which, along with my response to Earnest telling him about the new room, I'd like to ask him to describe the room behind the right portal--particularly what (other than the lever) is on the walls? You do so.

Are the portals in the room I have just entered blue (referring to the color of the liquid), like the ones in the starting room? Is the newly found door in this room locked (not the one I entered through, the other one)? The portals are indeed also blue, and as Acridian9 found out, the door is locked.

Alert: two new messages from: biograd.
raevenclaw

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 pm

For each portal, i'd like to check: if I go through am I able to get back? (I suppose no)

Then I'd like to inform the others of my idea (writing on the tablet?): one of us goes through the left portal and explores the two paths, possibly finding the way to the maze; the other two go through the other portals an look for a way out of the maze: they will give directions to the fist one.
Acridian9

Postby raevenclaw » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:19 pm

me: i definitely posted a reply on the lateral puzzles forum
narrator voice: they definitely had not posted a reply on the lateral puzzles forum

For each portal, i'd like to check: if I go through am I able to get back? (I suppose no) Actually, looks like you should be able to get back through any of the portals; there's no drop-downs like before.

Then I'd like to inform the others of my idea (writing on the tablet?): one of us goes through the left portal and explores the two paths, possibly finding the way to the maze; the other two go through the other portals an look for a way out of the maze: they will give directions to the fist one. Sounds like a solid plan. Do you want to try going through the maze first, or staying in one of the rooms above?
raevenclaw

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:20 am

While waiting for an answer from the others, let's explore: first I go through the left portal and then try to come back here (just to confirm that the portal works from the two sides). Then I'd like to see where the two paths lead.
Acridian9

Postby raevenclaw » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:17 pm

While waiting for an answer from the others, let's explore: first I go through the left portal and then try to come back here (just to confirm that the portal works from the two sides). You do so. The portal does indeed go both ways. Then I'd like to see where the two paths lead. Each hallway quickly leads to more twists and turns. As far as you can tell, it is indeed the maze you were able to see from the other two rooms.
raevenclaw

Postby trebor » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:12 pm

I’d like to rejoin this, schedule permitting. Sorry to have stepped out.

Can I make my way to the middle portal in the new area, and go through it? Is the glass floor sturdy enough to support my weight? If so, can I walk out onto it? As I look around do I see a way down into the maze? Or any creatures in the maze already? Is there anything of note on the walls or ceiling of this “room”? Is it a room? Am I in a hallway?
trebor

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:19 pm

I take a look at the ceiling of both paths: is it glass? If yes, do I see someone in the room above? Do I recognize the room as one of those beyond a portal?
Acridian9

Postby raevenclaw » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:18 pm

I’d like to rejoin this, schedule permitting. Sorry to have stepped out. no worries! glad to have you back!

Can I make my way to the middle portal in the new area, and go through it? You can indeed. Is the glass floor sturdy enough to support my weight? If so, can I walk out onto it? It is, and you can. As I look around do I see a way down into the maze? Or any creatures in the maze already? You don't see a way down into the maze, but you do see a person walking around near the beginning of the maze. Is there anything of note on the walls or ceiling of this “room”? Is it a room? Am I in a hallway? Nothing of note, and it is indeed a room.

I take a look at the ceiling of both paths: is it glass? Yep. If yes, do I see someone in the room above? Do I recognize the room as one of those beyond a portal? You do see someone standing above the left pathway, and it looks like the room from the middle portal.
raevenclaw

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 pm

Ok then. I go to the begining of the maze by the left path, try to get attention from the person above, and message all that I'll try to walk the maze if someone upstairs can direct me.
Acridian9

Postby raevenclaw » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:20 pm

Ok then. I go to the begining of the maze by the left path, try to get attention from the person above, and message all that I'll try to walk the maze if someone upstairs can direct me. Sounds like a plan!
raevenclaw

Postby trebor » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:38 pm

I wave back at Acridian. I'll help them walk the maze as best I can. From the room I'm in can I see the end point of the maze? If so, does it appear that the goal of completing the maze is to get a certain object? To find another doorway/passage/etc.? If I can't see the end point from this room, am I able to see it by going to the other room that has a view of the maze?
trebor

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles