[IrishElk] I walk a lonely road {FOOLED}

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk] I walk a lonely road {FOOLED}

Postby irishelk » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:00 pm

Miles walks the same path he does almost every evening, but tonight he is nervous and jumpy, constantly peering around for danger. Vanessa laughs at him.
Last edited by irishelk on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] I walk a lonely road

Postby Doriana » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:51 pm

Miles = H/A/M?
Vanessa = H/A/F?

Does Miles walk the path as part of his job? On the way to his job? from his job? Is he running errands? Exercising? Walking for leisure?

Is Vanessa walking with him? Does she usually walk with him? Or does she merely see him walk? Is she laughing because she thinks he’s being unreasonable?

Is there an actual danger present? If so, in the form of a human being? An animal? An object? Something more abstract?

Weather relevant? Precise time of day relevant? Is it dark?
Doriana

Postby markobr » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:21 pm

"Miles" - that's just his name, he could as well be named Richard? Or is the unit of measure called "mile" relevant in any way?

Path: Really a path in the sense that it's too small to be used by (most) cars? Could Miles cycle the path if he wanted to? Legally? Could he drive a car there? Legally?

Does Miles carry something he doesn't usually carry when walking the path? Wear something? Not carry/wear something he usually does? Season of year relevant? Holidays? Is he in a condition he usually isn't when walking the path? Maybe drunk? Sick?
markobr

Postby AlbatrossLover » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:16 am

Is Vanessa's presence the reason Miles is nervous? Something she did? If so, intentionally? Is she playing a prank on him?
AlbatrossLover

Postby Balin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:41 am

Is Vanessa present during Miles' walk? (Throughout? At some point?) Is she normally present?
Balin

Postby trebor » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:15 am

Is Miles Vanessa’s pet, out for a walk with her? A dog?

Is Vanessa’s laughter out of maliciousness? Has Miles ingested a substance that has altered his reality? Has Vanessa?

Is Miles usually nervous when he walks this path?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:57 pm

Doriana
Miles = H/A/M?
Vanessa = H/A/F? Yes x6.

Does Miles walk the path as part of his job? Yes. On the way to his job? Yesish. from his job? Possibly, irr. Is he running errands? Exercising? Walking for leisure? No to rest.

Is Vanessa walking with him? No. Does she usually walk with him? Or does she merely see him walk? This. Is she laughing because she thinks he’s being unreasonable? No.

Is there an actual danger present? Yesish, DOYD of danger. If so, in the form of a human being? Yesish. An animal? An object? Something more abstract? I wouldn't say abstract, but maybe not concrete?

Weather relevant? No. Precise time of day relevant? Might help. Is it dark? Yes.

markobr
"Miles" - that's just his name, he could as well be named Richard? Or is the unit of measure called "mile" relevant in any way? No, but good thought..

Path: Really a path in the sense that it's too small to be used by (most) cars? Yes. Could Miles cycle the path if he wanted to? Legally? Yes, but unlikely that he would. Could he drive a car there? Probably not, or it would be difficult. Legally? It probably wouldn't be illegal.

Does Miles carry something he doesn't usually carry when walking the path? Wear something? Not carry/wear something he usually does? No to all.
Season of year relevant? Holidays? Yes! Is he in a condition he usually isn't when walking the path? No. Maybe drunk? Sick?

AlbatrossLover

Is Vanessa's presence the reason Miles is nervous? No. Something she did? No. If so, intentionally? Is she playing a prank on him? She isn't...

Balin

Is Vanessa present during Miles' walk? (Throughout? At some point?)
Yes, throughout. Is she normally present? No.

trebor

Is Miles Vanessa’s pet, out for a walk with her? No. A dog?

Is Vanessa’s laughter out of maliciousness? It could be called that, maybe mild maliciousness. Has Miles ingested a substance that has altered his reality? Has Vanessa? No.

Is Miles usually nervous when he walks this path? No.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:37 pm

Halloween relevant?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:38 am

If not Halloween, is Easter relevant? Is Christmas?
Balin

Postby klondike mary » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Mail delivery relevant?
klondike mary

Postby irishelk » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:04 pm

Doriana

Halloween relevant? No.

Balin

If not Halloween, is Easter relevant? Is Christmas? No.

klondike mary

Mail delivery relevant? No.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:37 pm

Is someone else playing a prank on him? Is Vanessa in on whatever it is? Is there danger? Does Miles think there is? If so: of death? Injury? Crime? Something supernatural?
GalFisk

Postby trebor » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:21 pm

May I create/invoke the LTPF list of months to find out which this occurs in? Is a North American holiday relevant? Labour Day? Thanksgiving? Remembrance Day (or other Nov. 11 day)? New Year’s Eve? New Year’s Day? Valentine’s Day? St. Patrick’s? The Ides of March? Victoria Day? Memorial Day? Canada Day? Independence Day, either of the US or similar holiday of another country? Family Day?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:53 am

GalFisk

Is someone else playing a prank on him? Yes. Is Vanessa in on whatever it is? Yope. Is there danger? Of a sort. Does Miles think there is? Yes. If so: of death? Injury? Crime? Nothing so serious. Something supernatural? No.

trebor

May I create/invoke the LTPF list of months to find out which this occurs in? April. Is a North American holiday relevant? Yes, and I thought it was celebrated in other places but maybe I'm wrong! Labour Day? Thanksgiving? Remembrance Day (or other Nov. 11 day)? New Year’s Eve? New Year’s Day? Valentine’s Day? St. Patrick’s? The Ides of March? Victoria Day? Memorial Day? Canada Day? Independence Day, either of the US or similar holiday of another country? Family Day? No to all!
irishelk

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:18 pm

April Fool's Day?
trebor

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:58 pm

Does he expect to be scared? Surprised? Tricked? Does he think Vanessa is in on it?

Is it his birthday, and he expects a surprise party?
JenBurdoo

Postby Earnest » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:24 am

Maybe everyone is looking at him in a strange way because he got a writing on his back but he does not know?
Does he know what to expect? Is his jumpy status caused by something he sees/perceives? By something he expect to happen but does not know precisely what? By something Vanessa could see?

Does he see Vanessa? Is Vanessa distant?

Is there something different in his usual path? A closed road? Does he feel strange? Its he going to the same destination as the one he has when usually walking the path (e.g. if he walks back home, is he coming back home also that day?) Was it dark? Is any source of light (presence or absence) relevant? Did he read/saw a relevant horror story?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:22 pm

trebor

April Fool's Day? Yes.

JenBurdoo

Does he expect to be scared? Surprised? Tricked? At least one of these, yes.
Does he think Vanessa is in on it? Hard to answer--she's not directly responsible for it and he doesn't think she is, but in a sense she's on the trickster's "side."

Is it his birthday, and he expects a surprise party? No, good guess.

Earnest

Maybe everyone is looking at him in a strange way because he got a writing on his back but he does not know? Haha, no.
Does he know what to expect? Not exactly. Is his jumpy status caused by something he sees/perceives? No. By something he expect to happen but does not know precisely what? Yes. By something Vanessa could see? Could be, but not necessarily.

Does he see Vanessa? Not relevantly, but probably. Is Vanessa distant? No.

Is there something different in his usual path? No. A closed road? No. Does he feel strange? Probably. Its he going to the same destination as the one he has when usually walking the path (e.g. if he walks back home, is he coming back home also that day?) Yes--not home. Was it dark? He might be in a dark-ish spot, but... Is any source of light (presence or absence) relevant? There is definitely lighting nearby. Did he read/saw a relevant horror story? No.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:31 pm

Has he been warned that someone might play a trick on him? Is revenge due for some trick he's played on someone? Is the actual trick that nothing will happen, leaving him jumpy all day?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:23 pm

GalFisk

Has he been warned that someone might play a trick on him? Not warned, but explore. Is revenge due for some trick he's played on someone? No. Is the actual trick that nothing will happen, leaving him jumpy all day? No, but now I know not to get on your bad side :lol:
irishelk

Postby trebor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:39 pm

Has he falsely been given information that someone will play a trick on him? Or jump out at him?
trebor

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:45 pm

Are Miles and Vanessa related? Is Vanessa related to someone else that Miles suspects? Or are clubs, organizations or employers relevant?
JenBurdoo

Postby irishelk » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:46 pm

trebor

Has he falsely been given information that someone will play a trick on him? Or jump out at him? No.

JenBurdoo

Are Miles and Vanessa related? No. Is Vanessa related to someone else that Miles suspects? No. Or are clubs, organizations or employers relevant? Miles' job is relevant.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:22 am

Is Miles a delivery man? (e.g. he received an unusual order) Is his job mainly inside? Outside? Does he mainly work in afternoon? Evening? Relevant? Is he wearing a costume? a uniform? Dressing code relevant?...idk maybe a WAG: he works in an old fashioned pub, like the medieval ones. He was dressed as an ancient knight. People part of the joke, wore ancient clothes as well faking to be in the medieval age. So when he goes out in the street he believed to be in Middle Age.

Did he interact with someone as part of the joke? Is Vanessa laughing once the joke started? Before? After? As part of the joke? Did he hear her? Relevant?
Has he been warned that someone might play a trick on him? Not warned, but explore --> did he read something relevant? Received an email? A text message? Something concerning his job? To be sure, was he concerned to bee victim of a joke or maybe to something else that was part of the joke (e.g. he was asked to immediately go to a place and thought that something rally bad was happened, while in reality friends wanted to attract him there)
Was someone else victim of a trick before him? If so, did he know that it was his turn? Did someone interact relevantly with Miles before the trick was played? If so, someone that made him suspect? Someone that told him about the trick? Someone that he did not expect to meet? Maybe, something else made Miles suspicious? For instance the absence/presence of something? Something unusual?
Or he just expected a joke on April Fool's Day?

There is definitely lighting nearby --> is it relevant? is the light artificial? Made by Mile with a phone?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Earnest

Is Miles a delivery man? (e.g. he received an unusual order) No. Is his job mainly inside? This. Outside? Does he mainly work in afternoon? Evening? This. Relevant? Yes.
Is he wearing a costume? a uniform? Dressing code relevant?...idk maybe a WAG: he works in an old fashioned pub, like the medieval ones. He was dressed as an ancient knight. People part of the joke, wore ancient clothes as well faking to be in the medieval age. So when he goes out in the street he believed to be in Middle Age. No to all.

Did he interact with someone as part of the joke? Not relevantly. Is Vanessa laughing once the joke started? Before? This. After? As part of the joke? No. Did he hear her? Probably. Relevant? Not really.
Has he been warned that someone might play a trick on him? Not warned, but explore --> did he read something relevant? Received an email? A text message? No to these. Something concerning his job? The reason he expects a trick is related to his job. To be sure, was he concerned to bee victim of a joke or maybe to something else that was part of the joke (e.g. he was asked to immediately go to a place and thought that something rally bad was happened, while in reality friends wanted to attract him there) He suspected a joke.
Was someone else victim of a trick before him? No, but close. If so, did he know that it was his turn? Did someone interact relevantly with Miles before the trick was played? Noish. If so, someone that made him suspect? Someone that told him about the trick? Someone that he did not expect to meet?
Maybe, something else made Miles suspicious? Yes. For instance the absence/presence of something? Something unusual? Or he just expected a joke on April Fool's Day? This, and one other circumstance.

There is definitely lighting nearby --> is it relevant? It might help you figure out the situation. is the light artificial? Yes. Made by Mile with a phone? No.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:55 am

Is the fact that it was April Fool's day something that involves his job? I mean, for instance one might expect that non Valentine's Day flower ships work more.

The reason he expects a trick is related to his job --> does he work in a fixed place (i.e. in a single building)? Or does he work in different places (e.g. he goes from house to house)? Is he a stripper? a barman? A baby sitter? Is his work connected with: parties? music? April Fool's day? clowns? sport? hotels? nightlife? jokes? TV shows? food? school? art? mass media? transportation? technology? science? politics? security? speaking (e.g. radio)? animals? explicit contents? 24-hour shops? is he a garbage man?

Does he work: until the next morning? For more than 2 hours? Until late night?

Was someone else victim of a trick before him? No, but close. --> was he himself been victim of a prank before?

Does he know Vanessa? Relevant how Vanessa knew the path that he made from/to work? Is his job evident had someone met him without talking/interacting (i.e. solely seeing Miles walking)?

Did Miles work with a public relevantly?
Would the prank on Miles be seen by many people? If so, due to his job? Does his job make him the perfect victim of a prank in that day? Does the prank involve: paint? physical damages? damages to things (e.g. car)? a laud noise? dog dirt? Dirt? getting wet? losing clothes? being robbed? being scared?

Was someone else victim of a trick before him? No, but close --> did he ear stories by someone else making his job? Is someone else making his job victim of his same prank? Did he see someone masked?

Is any country tradition on April Fool's day relevant? E.g. giving a letter? April fish? ...
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:21 am

Earnest

Is the fact that it was April Fool's day something that involves his job? In a specific way, yes. I mean, for instance one might expect that non Valentine's Day flower ships work more. Not like this.

The reason he expects a trick is related to his job --> does he work in a fixed place (i.e. in a single building)? Yes. Or does he work in different places (e.g. he goes from house to house)? Is he a stripper? a barman? A baby sitter? Is his work connected with: parties? music? Probably. April Fool's day? clowns? sport? hotels? nightlife? Sort of... jokes? Yes... TV shows? YES! food? school? art? mass media? So yes. transportation? technology? science? politics? security? speaking (e.g. radio)? Yes. animals? explicit contents? 24-hour shops? is he a garbage man?

Does he work: until the next morning? No. For more than 2 hours? Probably. Until late night? For simplicity, I'll say yes, though this could also take place in the day.

Was someone else victim of a trick before him? No, but close. --> was he himself been victim of a prank before? YES.

Does he know Vanessa? No. Relevant how Vanessa knew the path that he made from/to work? Yes. Is his job evident had someone met him without talking/interacting (i.e. solely seeing Miles walking)? If they saw him walking this way at this time, they would know his job.

Did Miles work with a public relevantly? Sort of.
Would the prank on Miles be seen by many people? Yes. If so, due to his job? Yes. Does his job make him the perfect victim of a prank in that day? I don't know about perfect, but it's a good idea. Does the prank involve: paint? physical damages? damages to things (e.g. car)? a laud noise? dog dirt? Dirt? getting wet? losing clothes? being robbed? being scared? Yes to the final one, possibly/irr to rest.

Was someone else victim of a trick before him? No, but close --> did he ear stories by someone else making his job? Is someone else making his job victim of his same prank? Did he see someone masked? No to these.

Is any country tradition on April Fool's day relevant? E.g. giving a letter? April fish? ... No, other than general pranking.

Great questions.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:34 pm

Is he expecting a prank that will never come?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:58 pm

Balin

Is he expecting a prank that will never come? No, presumably it will.
irishelk

Postby Doriana » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:02 pm

Is he a comedian? a TV host? a TV journalist? Late-night shows relevant?
Doriana

Postby irishelk » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:53 pm

Doriana

Is he a comedian? Yes. a TV host? Yes. a TV journalist? Late-night shows relevant? Yes!
irishelk

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Is he expecting to be pranked because it is April Fool's Day? Has he been waiting all day to be pranked?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Balin

Is he expecting to be pranked because it is April Fool's Day? Yes. Has he been waiting all day to be pranked? No, if I understand you right--he suspects he will be pranked right now.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:24 pm

Does he expect to be pranked right now because he is alone? Because he is on camera? Because he is not on camera?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:27 pm

Balin

Does he expect to be pranked right now because he is alone? Because he is on camera? This--and, as established, he has been pranked before. Because he is not on camera?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:42 pm

We've established that Vanessa doesn't know him. Is his nervousness being filmed (and shown live)? Is it being aired on TV? Is Vanessa watching the show and laughing?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:15 pm

Balin

We've established that Vanessa doesn't know him. Is his nervousness being filmed (and shown live)? Yes. Is it being aired on TV? Yes. Is Vanessa watching the show and laughing? Yesish--remember she is nearby.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 pm

Is Vanessa in the audience? Is the path Miles is walking from the stage curtains to his spot? Is it all backstage? The full path from his dressing room to his spot? Is Vanessa one of the guests on the show? Was she part of the crew? Did she have other employment related to the show?

Relevant specifically what the prank before was? Is he expecting the same prank now? A specific other prank? Just a prank in general? Does he suspect that there will be no audience when he emerges onstage? That something will fall on him (although surely that would break union regulations)? Be launched at him? Sprayed on him? That the theatre will be dark? That something will be wrong with his desk? Or chair? His mug will have been tampered with?

Relevant which show this is, or which late-night person he is? Like, is a certain bit that he's known for relevant here? is he on SNL? Is it a taped show? Live? Is he the host?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:48 pm

trebor

Is Vanessa in the audience? Is the path Miles is walking from the stage curtains to his spot? Yep!

Nice job Balin and Trebor finishing it off!

***********************SPOILER

Miles is the host of a late-night talk show. On April Fools Day the first year he hosted, as he was walking through the audience to the stage, the crew threw honey on him and covered him with feathers. On the second April Fools Day, they put salt in his coffee, tacks on his chair, and tied his shoelaces together while he was seated. Now it is his third April Fools as the host, and while he knows he is not in mortal peril, he is understandably a bit wary as he walks onstage. He is playing up his jitters for laughs from the live audience, of whom Vanessa is a member.
irishelk

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles