The Chatroom (Archive 2nd March 2015 - 20th November 2015)

A place for general discussions and social chat but not for posting puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

The Chatroom (Archive 2nd March 2015 - 20th November 2015)

Postby Balin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:11 am

I've locked the old chatroom because 200 posts was getting a bit long. It's the closest thing to archiving I can think of.

Please continue your previous conversations here.
Balin

Re: The Chatroom

Postby yojimbo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:46 am

I like the new, shorter thread; thanks, Balin.
Is it possible to bring the chatroom from the old forum over to this one? If so, rather difficult, I imagine. There's lots of interesting stuff going on in chat threads, and I found that reading through them has been enlightening.
Per the list of achievements, I have edited it, by adding two new ones:

The Lapdog: participate in a puzzle run by Admin [One going on now! This achievement is a limited-time offer, and is not available in stores!]
The Time Traveler: set a puzzle in the past or future

Also, a current puzzle includes awarded achievements, such as The Noob, The Cannonball, and The Fezziwig.
I, and some others, are entitled to The Lapdog, and I'm damned proud of it.
I was inspired to develop the list after Balin's announcement that he'd accumulated over 20,000 posts, but have not been able to come up with a name for such an achievement. My first thought was "The Kittinger" -- ask GalFisk or google it -- "attain more posts than any other user of the LTPF"
Any ideas? Balin, don't be shy.

One last tidbit: I have two puzzles close to $poil, so please feel free to visit them. In fact, I'm going to $poil one of them imminently, as it's devolved to minutiae. But please check out the other: "I couldn't help it"
And go get that Lapdog! Legitimate queries only, please...
yojimbo

Postby peter365 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:32 am

Thanks Balin for archiving the chatroom.

I agree there were some puzzles which were moved into solved too quickly as there was some post spoiler discussion ongoing. When modding I always wait until such discussion has stopped before moving it. Perhaps some of my fellow mods were jumping the gun a teeny bit.

If I moved any to soon please accept my apologies.
peter365

Postby peter365 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:47 am

Yojimbo - Excellent work . Some really funny definitions there.

Are you taking suggestions? If so I've come up with the 'who's ya daddy' - Being the most recent poster in the Active Puzzles, Solved Puzzles and Chatroom all at the same time.

Or how about the Meucci - Being in the act of solving a puzzle and someone beats you to it.
peter365

Postby yojimbo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:39 am

Thank you very much, peter365. I mentioned in the recently-archived chatroom that I have lonely evenings at the LTPF, being the only one at the forum, with no bots or guests as company, out here off the NW coast of america, so the list gave me a way to participate in the forum.
Perhaps that would be:
The Sentinel: being the only visitor at the LTPF
Regarding suggestions, of course they're welcome. This is a community, right?
Per yours, do you mind editorial nudges? Part of what I do for money, don't you know...
How about:
The Hearst: Being the most recent poster in the Active Puzzles, Solved Puzzles and Chatroom at the same time.
I had to look Meucci up; I was aware there was a tardy innovator at the time of the patent for the telephone, but didn't know who it was. I was inclined to suggest something else -- or rather, open it up for suggestions, as I had none to offer, but perhaps it doesn't hurt for puzzlers to expand their knowledge? Happens all the time on the LTPF, right?
So let's go with that as it is, but perhaps re-stated?
The Meucci: post a $poiler, only to find someone has already done so.
I'm going to add these two to the list -- hope you don't mind my edits.
Again, per the list of LTPF Achievements, any and all feedback is welcome.
Could there be a way for users to list theirs in their profiles? Would call for a new database field, I think. We were able to add those at the old forum, as I recall...
and I have a fun puzzle which is going much longer than expected -- when GalFisk posed that the "little room" in the puzzle statement was an elevator, I thought the puzzle would collapse, but it hasn't, yet. Could use visits.
yojimbo

Postby Tiger » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Sigh...

Gah, I wish I weren't so busy all the time. I'm preparing everything so I can graduate university this Spring.
I was able to be much more active in the Winter when I didn't have classes, then I slowly receded into mod activities, and now I hardly have time to visit the forum...

Also, I'm not sure what my post count on the old forum was (definitely not close to you, Balin), though if we're just looking at the current forum, I believe I have the highest and you're about to pass me, Balin!
Tiger

Postby Balin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:43 pm

Not sure if it's the highest, but Redwine has over 600 on the new forum.
Balin

Postby Tiger » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Dang! I suppose the last time I checked was a while ago before she and yojimbo started being active.
Tiger

Postby yojimbo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:42 am

@Tiger: You'd better keep looking over your shoulder, buddy, because one of these days, I'm going to be there!
And another cajole to you all to visit my puzzle, "I couldn't help it"
It has more legs than I would have thought, and you will surely skip with glee at the $poiler. I know I will.
per the Achievements list...
currently, we have
The Pick Me!: urge users to visit your puzzles with a post in the chatroom
what about
The Pick Me, Dammit!: BEG users to visit your puzzles with a post in the chatroom
I think I might be entitled to that one, as well.
You would not want me to earn
The Nixon: vanish from the LTPF
[not an actual listed achievement, yet]
yojimbo

Postby Balin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:20 am

Permit me to go for those "Pick Me" achievements:

Biograd has been working tirelessly at my "Centrifuge!" maze, and has even posted his own map of what has been revealed so far. It would be much appreciated if some of you other wonderful puzzlers with brilliant minds could assist him in his endeavor to make it to the exit....

Hmm. There should be a "Land O'Lakes" achievement for trying to get people to visit your puzzles through flattery - "buttering them up," as it were.
Balin

Postby yojimbo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:50 am

@Balin: I'll drop in your your maze at some point today, now armed with the note about a map; without such an assist, I would literally be lost -- and perhaps also laterally? Thanks for the heads-up.
And per buttering-up users, how about we call it:
The Kerrygold: encourage users to visit your puzzle with a flattering chatroom post
My own "I couldn't help it" could use action -- the lapse of same might entitle me to a "Gasping Fish."
yojimbo

Postby RedWine » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:57 am

Hello everybody!

I'm on a short holiday now, skiing in beautiful Polish mountains. I'll provide all answers to questions in my puzzles on Saturday! See you on Saturday!
RedWine

Postby yojimbo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:45 am

I see that it's RedWine's birthday, and no doubt I join you all in wishing her the best.
I, for one, miss her during her brief absence on the forum, as when she's here and quite active, my puzzles don't end up sitting at the bottom of the page. She always keeps the action going.
And of course, I must follow that comment with another gentle nudge to visit my current two active puzzles: "I couldn't help it" -- which is getting recent action and closing in on $poil -- and "<snicker> [inspired by EmeraldInk]," of which I happen to be quite fond. It's the one of two that is buried at the bottom of the page [with some other worthy puzzles... please visit them as well].
Also, if you haven't glanced at the list of "LTPF Achievements" I whipped up on evenings when I'm the only user on the board, check it out. You might enjoy it. You'll find it as one of five topics in the Chatroom section.
I've tried nudging the mods to consider developing another database field for our user profiles [surely no small task], and am occasionally tempted to preemptively submit a reply in the "Achievements" thread with a list of my own.
Ah, and one more thing:
On the old board, there were suggestions about how to use the forum. When I was new, I found it useful, and surely other new users would find such useful, also. Any chance something could be set up at the spiffy new forum?
Mods, if overwhelmed, I have about an hour or so available in the evenings, when I'm the only registered user at the board [other than the occasional rusty bot], and could develop something to submit for your approval, if you like. I'm interested in seeing healthy growth in the fine community we share.
yojimbo

Postby yojimbo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:13 am

Forgot to include, per the close of my previous comment, can we also have an accessible list of legit LTPF lists? We at least had access to one at the old board.
Some that I recall: occupations, causes of death, centuries [not really necessary to list, but a mention of it might enable it], continents, and the like...
Again, alone-but-avid yojimbo can help with that.
yojimbo

Postby Balin » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Basically, anything with a particularly sizable set of information can be an LTPF list: US states, countries, causes of death, shapes of potato chip, and so on. I'll see if I can find any existing lists.
Balin

Postby Balin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Yojimbo's recent puzzle has spawned a discussion on favorite words and words which irritate those of the pedantic nature when used incorrectly. I've always used "dichotomy" whenever possible.
Balin

Postby RedWine » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:08 pm

I recently encountered a word "hypotaxis". I had to look it up and now cannot wait until I'll be able to use it somewhere. I also over-use "juridical" and "jurisprudence".
And any time I look at yojimbo's puzzle I get reminded of another puzzle, in the old forum, dealing with words and spelling...
RedWine

Postby yojimbo » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:53 am

"Crepuscular" is a favorite, and when you use it, you typically have to tell folks what it means. As a horticulturist/gardener, when I describe Rhododendron augustinii, I like to mention that its beguiling blue flowers have a "crepuscular iridescence," which they do. I also like deploying "morphology," as, for example, again as a gardener, when I explain that understanding the morphology of bramble enables one to better manage it.
"Literally" and "irony" are frequently misused, which makes me mildly cringe.
And I don't like to use "awesome" or "amazing" unless I am literally in awe or amazed.
A fellow writer noted what she calls my "penchant for precision with words," which she found, in our frequent correspondence, to initially intimidate, but now says she enjoys it.
The late Willard Espy, the ultimate logophile [also born/raised in Washington, my home state], reported that a foreign associate thought it disappointing that "diarrhea" referred to something so unfortunate, "...since it's such a lovely word."
Klaus, one of my cousins in Schleswig-Holstein, is fond of "nevertheless."
I recently saw that someone, somewhere, had pluralized "forum" as "fora," and was astonished at their accuracy. Perhaps there is a forum out there for pedants -- not that I want to be one, mind you...
And maybe I'll post a puzzle about what I consider to be the most vulgar word of all... quite tempted, now that I think of it...
and the puzzle in question? It's "for pedants and the like" -- hopefully, the following embedded link will get you there straightaway. It could use some action.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10666
After previewing the post before submitting it, I noted that there are several other little words of which I am enamored sprinkled here and there in it, and felt as if I were a fisherman on cold seas at night, and they were little cats warming me in my bed.
yojimbo

Postby Admin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:02 pm

If you enjoy Mathematics and Lateral Thinking Puzzles then I can recommend my new book. Mathematical Lateral Thinking Puzzles, co-authored with Des MacHale. It contains clever Maths puzzles where a little lateral thinking can yield a very satisfying result. The puzzles are graded from easy to difficult so there is something for everyone.

Paul Sloane

http://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Lateral-Thinking-Puzzles-Sloane/dp/1454911670/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematical-Lateral-Thinking-Puzzles-Sloane/dp/1454911670/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Attachments
Mathlat.jpg
Mathlat.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 88055 times
Admin

Postby WiZ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:09 pm

I tried to find an example of a mathematical lateral thinking puzzle, but came up short.

Does this book contain puzzles in the vein of the guy at the petrol station who has to measure 13 gallons of petrol (how's that for some transatlanticism?) with a set of containers with which it is impossible/excruciatingly difficult to do so while pouring from container to container? This one has a truly lateral solution.

Or is it more like the puzzles at the back of the 1991 book Lateral Thinking Puzzlers in which we're trying to work out the odd-weighted ball while using the scales only three times? This one's answer is purely mathematical.
WiZ

Postby Balin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:37 pm

I've read the new book a couple times already, WiZ, and the puzzles mostly revolve around math equations or lateral proofs. There are some typical puzzle-style math puzzles, but the Measure So Many Gallons one isn't in there, IIRC.
Balin

St. Patrick's Day

Postby yojimbo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:50 am

It's St. Patrick's Day, which is apparently one of the most globally-observed holidays. I learned there is a massive SPD parade in Kansas City [MO? KS? my correspondent didn't say], which surprised me.
My son informed me that there apparently weren't snakes in Ireland, and suggested that Patrick might have been a confidence man.
He'd roll into town, and ask, "Say, have you fellows seen any snakes around?"
"Why, no, Pat, we haven't."
"Well, that's because I got rid of them, didn't I?"
"Isn't that grand -- will you let us buy you a beer?"
yojimbo

inspirational puzzles

Postby yojimbo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:34 am

We've seen that several recent puzzles invoke another inspirational user in the title, which I appreciate: for one, it fosters our community, and for another, it adds another potential layer of complexity to the puzzle, in that perhaps the invoked user's puzzles can inform the nature of the $poil.
However, as the title field of a puzzle post has a limited character length [I didn't count, but it looks to be about sixty characters], I wonder if it might not serve us to find an LTPF means of abbreviating "inspired by," much as we call men "HAMs," to save character space in the title.
"i.b" would be a rather obvious choice, but would seem to me to be a wee bit too obscure.
I'd suggest "x," which would be deployed as follows:
[yojimbo] great idea, buddy! [x yojimbo]
"x" has a precedent in other trades; in building, nominal dimensions of lumber -- in my neighborhood -- use same to refer to specifications, e.g., "2x4" to indicate a "two-by-four," a common lumber size, referring to wood that is milled, nominally, to two inches by four inches. In horticulture, "x" indicates that a plant has been hybridized from two parent plants -- as with rhododendrons, such as "Yakushimanum x Sir Charles Lemon." Perhaps you follow my train of thought on this?
Deploying "x" in that manner would save characters for the rest of the puzzle title, to further enlighten, mislead, obfuscate, enable, or coax other users.
Any feedback on this?
yojimbo

Postby peter365 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:53 am

To be honest Yojimbo I don't think we need to have an abbreviation for something that is so seldom used. I feel we're in danger of overcomplicatings things a touch. Things like this might be offputting to potential new members who might already feel we speak a language all of our own.

While it's nice to acknowledge who you got a puzzle idea from i'd simply mention it in the puzzle statement. I'm worried that the other way might look a bit cliquish.

Only my opinion mind you.

On to St Patrick's day, I've gone on record as saying I'm not a fan of this feast day. Too much green beer, orange wigs and leprechauns for my liking. The fact that St Patrick was Welsh only adds to the absurdity. I'd agree that it's unlikely there were ever any snakes in Ireland. We've elected a few over the years but that's democracy for you.
peter365

Postby Balin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:23 pm

I probably wouldn't worry about "inspired by," as most puzzle titles aren't long enough to have the "inspired by" get cut off by the character limit. That limit is sixty characters, as I accidentally found out when trying to fit "[Balin] Disc inferno: Lateral Adventure (sequel to "We're not gonna pay...")" in the subject line.

I didn't do much for St. Patrick's Day. Wore a green shirt, listened to Irish folk music, reminisced about my month in Ireland, and hoped like mad I can go back someday.
Balin

Postby RedWine » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:52 pm

Yojimbo, although I totally support what you wrote about inspirations, I agree with Peter and Balin. For me, x is not intuitive, and I don't think we need an abbreviation for "inspired by".
RedWine

Postby WiZ » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:15 am

For St. Patrick's day I did exactly what the protagonist in the puzzle I posted last St. Patrick's day did.
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:16 am

Says a lot about my life when i can state without any reference to our old forum that you phoned your Mum or Dad (can't remember which) while wearing a green shirt, and possibly threw in a few subtle REM references.
peter365

Postby WiZ » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:14 pm

You are completely correct about everything except the subtlety. And that warms the cockles of my heart and reminds me why we need to keep the fires of this forum burning.
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:39 pm

I remember traffic jams motor boys and Wiz puzzles from a year ago.
peter365

Postby RedWine » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:23 pm

We currently have two running puzzles that have achieved 100 posts. As I saw in solved section, this has not happened in the new forum so far! So congratulations to the hosts: Yojimbo and GalFisk!

I'd also like to draw your attention to admirable $poiler GalFisk posted to my puzzle "Trashes and Treasures". It's certainly worth coming and seeing.
RedWine

Postby yojimbo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:34 am

@RedWine
Many thanks for your felicitations; I humbly bow to my highly-esteemed puzzling colleague, GalFisk -- who, let me say, is one of the reasons I enjoy the LTPF as much as I do.
Please note his style of query; if I were more clever, I could emulate it, and would.
In the case of my own "Century" [see "LTPF Achievements"] puzzle, I could $poil right away, but feel that if users discover a bit more, it will mean more, and benefit us as a species [I invoke humans a a hubristic species in a recent post; how's that previous comment for some hubris?].
My own personal best was a puzzle that ran over 140 posts. GalFisk, you on for that? Gauntlet gently laid at your feet.
When a puzzle nears/hits 100 posts, $poil must be impending. Users on this forum are the most clever bunch one could find. Either the puzzle is extremely lateral, or the host is obfuscatingly unforthcoming, or the posters are a bunch of blindly wandering yahoos. Or perhaps the host has a pet topic to explore, and wants users to ferret it out to the finest detail, which could be the case with my own, running "Century."
In other news, regarding supplanting "inspired by" with "x," I will happily yield to the consensus of the board, but if I deploy "x" in a puzzle title, you should know at what I'm getting. Just so you know.
yojimbo

Postby GalFisk » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:04 am

I'm having intermittent server issues on the site, do anyone ense experience this?
The contact email int he error message is incorrect, as it says to email "info@localhost.com" or similar when one receives the error.
Edit: root@localhost is the email provided in the error.

I pretend to bow in order to pick up the gauntlet, alternatively pretend to pick up the gauntlet in order to bow, to the great Yojimbo, and accept the challenge. I don't know what my best was on the old forum (I seem to recall a puzzle that started in spring and $poiled in winter or late fall), we'll see what happens here on the new forum.
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:00 am

@GalFisk
I experience server errors too, the message I see seem to be the same as yours.
EDIT: We have 75% sun eclipse now in Poland, so I am not surprised weird things - like server errors - happen here.
RedWine

Postby WiZ » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:14 am

One of my morning classes was interrupted by a student coming in and declaring 'The eclipse has been cancelled!' I asked them who this omnipotent member of the administration was who had the power to tell an eclipse to bugger off but I don't think they understood me. Maybe it was my French.
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:38 pm

I was interviewing prospective employees this morning so I missed the eclipse. I'm assuming of course that it got permission to happen.
peter365

Postby yojimbo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:12 pm

The eclipse was spectacular here at my lonely outpost: the sun was eclipsed by the entire earth, so I had no choice but to lurk in my bed in the darkness with my cat.
yojimbo

Postby GalFisk » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:41 pm

I saw it, and it was nice. I wish I'd had the resources to go watch the total eclipse. It's one of the things I want to experience before I die, and unlike spaceflight, there's a good chance I will get the opportunity.
GalFisk

Postby BeachDude » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:33 pm

It's too bad that individual topics can't be opened. here. I'm afraid that what I say is going to get lost -
it's not really a "reply" to anything but a new topic.

Which is:

I notice in many puzzles people ask if they can give names to puzzle characters. For example, "can we call the woman crying on the roof Cynthia?".
I'm wonder how that make things easier? This means that every time I read "Cynthia", I have to think, "wait now is Cynthia the one sitting on the roof, or is it her sister she talked on the phone with just before?" To me it gives me one more thing to keep in my head. I'm just curious why this apparently makes understanding the situation in the puzzle any easier. Too me it's the other way around. It's especially a problem when there are so many active puzzles: everytime I come back to think about a puzzle, I find I have to scoll up to see who is who.

Please, this is not a rant, I'm just curious how this helps people. Is it just reducing typing?
BeachDude

Postby Balin » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:47 pm

Mostly I think naming characters helps distinguish between two people of the same gender, but it also gives the puzzle more of a story feel.
Balin

Postby yojimbo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:13 am

I agree with both of Balin's points -- some puzzles have been quite confusing when there are multiple HAMs or HAFs, and when they're named -- well, I agree with Balin's second point. Plus, before they're named, a noob might ask what HAM means, and get a severely warm welcome to the LTPF. And when a user suggests a name -- I did so recently, when there was only one relevant person in the puzzle -- I think it ups the feel of participating in a community [and I had some fun with the name, and think the host did, also]. During my years on the forum, I have yet to see a host decline a name suggestion, which enables them to demonstrate the grace to which I think we're all accustomed.
yojimbo

Postby RedWine » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:28 am

For me, naming the characters help to avoid confusion if there are many of them in the puzzle. I tend to adopt names starting with subsequent letters of the alphabet, what - I think - brings some order to the puzzle. I also agree with Balin and Yojimbo that naming a character makes the puzzle more story feel.
RedWine

Postby yojimbo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:56 am

Yeah, but RedWine, now, when I see one of your puzzle statements with all the relevant characters named, my first suspicion is that you're continuing your experiment from your secret lateral lab, and that Harriet or Joanne might actually be a dog, or a kitty, or something. Makes me wary.
yojimbo

Postby Balin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:08 am

I've had one name suggestion declined, but that was because the "unnamed" person upon whom I was trying to bestow a moniker was actually one of the other people in the puzzle, who was already named. (It was a Jenburdoo WWII puzzle that involved a woman painted on a plane. Don't remember the title.)
Balin

Postby yojimbo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:00 am

Gentlemen [Balin and peter365], and interested others:
I've posted two new "inspired by" puzzles, and am trying out the usage of "X" to stand in for "inspired by."
Just wanted to give it a shot.
yojimbo

Postby BeachDude » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:46 am

Re: Naming characters. Very intersting to hear that I seem to be the only that's (slightly) bothered by this. No big deal at all. It's just, as I said before, if I come back to the puzzle after a few days, I have to remember if "Fred" is the merchant at the pawn store, or someone else. Like an extra layer of indirection. Again no big deal.
BeachDude

Postby BeachDude » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:10 am

From my story "A Sad Tale"

"The Ex-Magician and other stories", by murilo rubiao, which contains the story "Teleco the Rabbit" - (the topic of that puzzle), from a quick search, is a apparently still readily available. Perhaps it was reprinted. For anyone interested in South American surrealistic fiction, I highly recommend it. And the best thing (for me) is that the stories are very short (some only several pages). Apparently one of the best rated in this book is a story about a community of Dragons that die out as they are overtaken by a human civilisation (but don't take my word on that - I'll have to read it again.)

If anybody is interested in the "Magical Realism" genre (which is probably not precisely defined), I highly recommend as an introduction, reading "A chronicle of a Death Foretold" by Garbriel Garcia Marquez. It's not too long, I would call it a Novella - it's about someone who comes back to their Brazillian home town to investigate a murder that happened when he was living there, by interviewing citizens of the town. It was actually very confusing to me until I realized the concept of the "unreliable interviewee!" - everyone had different contradictory stories. And then of course theres the sprinkiing of magical elements like the king coming for a visit, and I can't remember what else. Again, good reading and short enough to read in one night.
BeachDude

Postby yojimbo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:49 am

I'm engaged in interfacing with an editor in Scotland, and we Skype when it's morning for him, and before/after our chats, or while I await connection, I drop in on the LTPF in UTC real-time. That occasionally puts me in lateral puzzling mode at the same time as most of the rest of you, it seems. You've been warned.
yojimbo

Postby WiZ » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Finding myself underprepared for my latest session with the Terminale littéraire, I decided I'd take a punt on lateral thinking puzzles. Kicking off under the guise of 'We'll do this as a warm-up, and if you enjoyed it, we'll do another', I started with the puzzle about William's Father being older than his Grandfather (a puzzle very close to my heart, as it provided much of the inspiration for a popular song I wrote). This was solved after the second question, so I moved on to the puzzle about the coal, carrot and scarf lying in the field. This was solved on the second question also, and then only because she who posed the first question assumed the snow was still in the field. I then threw puzzle after puzzle at the intrepid language students, but they were equal to every task. I even went with two puzzles from the 'Difficult' section of Paul's books; The classic about the man who returns to his car and finds his dead wife and a stranger, and one that I solved on my first guess (and these cunning young ladies got on their second), about eventually saying a single word to someone you've never met before and leaving them devastated. We got through a number in the hour we had, and most of that time was taken up by my writing on the board with marker pens that are overdue for retirement. The only two puzzles that gave them pause for thought were the 'Don't shoot me John!' puzzle and, oddly, one of the poster children for this puzzle genre - the man in the elevator.

Here is the 'setlist' - I was trying to go for puzzles in the conventional format which didn't require discovering a lot of wittheld information. In the end, I think I should have gone for some more complicated ones.

- William's father was older than his Grandfather
- Two pieces of coal, a carrot, and a scarf
- The infamous man in the elevator
- The midnight weather report about sunny weather
- Twin peeks (how did I know who the identically-dressed twin was who turned around when I said 'hi'?)
- Don't shoot me, John!
- The woman who pays 2€ for a book and leaves without taking it
- The girl who was 8 on her first birthday
- The stranger in the car
- The single word

They were impressive from start to finish. Far better than I was at these things when I was starting out (and I'm a native anglophone). I'm going to try this with some of the other classes (although I'm both trusting and hoping that we won't get through quite so many)
WiZ

Postby yojimbo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:22 am

I'm working through an LTPF experiment:
I'm posting a series of “NW puzzles,” i.e, puzzles pertaining to the Pacific NW of North America, where I live. I had posted a few of them on the old board – might even attempt re-animating one or two of those – but am now using a new convention:
Each puzzle is titled with a successive numeral [currently running “No. 9”], and uses the same puzzle statement: “More than anywhere else.”
Before No. 8 was $poiled, I had it going concurrently with No. 9, and when answering posts, would become slightly confused myself, as to which puzzle was the one in question, and I must confess, this was part of the experiment, as I imagined users might be more befuddled than I.
No. 10 is impending; the objective is to coax users into thinking about the many possible deployments of the vague “more” in the puzzle statement; i.e., “more” in different dimensions or units of measure.
If the experiment fails, I'll be the first to know, by monitoring puzzle activity, so we'll see how it goes.
NB: when I presented No. 8 to a brilliant colleague – a 6th-gen NWer – he promptly asked, “Plaid flannel shirts?” - referring to the “uniform” of outdoorsy residents of Seattle, which is not far from our island outpost – and then, “Software engineers?” - invoking a massive regional industry – and then, “...more coffee bars? Breweries?”
I'm pretty besotted with the arena in which I first appeared on the planet, and even after some moderately-extensive travel, still think I live in one of the most amazing places on earth. We still have forests from mountains to shoreline, incredibly abundant and marvelous seafood and other natural resources, and stunning landscapes. Not to mention a mild climate, with well-enough defined seasons. Winter not too cold, summer not too hot.
yojimbo

spambots!?

Postby yojimbo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 am

Happy birthday to all those spambots listed at the bottom of the page? wtf?
yojimbo

Postby Tiger » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:05 am

Although we can delete spambot posts and ban their accounts, their accounts don't disappear...
If you look at the full members list, we have over 4000 members but MOST of them are spam accounts.
Tiger

Postby peter365 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:10 am

I still happily block tons of spammers every week. The first post requiring moderation rule while causing some frustration for actual new members has been key in the fight against spam.
peter365

Postby yojimbo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:59 pm

I see that Nimue's dormant puzzles have vanished from the active board. Curious about where you had to put them?
Also, I'm sure all would echo my appreciation for the invisible work of the mods. Surely, it would be more satisfying to visit the forum and participate, rather than having to spend time pulling the weeds. Thank you for enabling us to have this cerebral garden in which to meander.
yojimbo

Postby yojimbo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:35 am

Some new [?] board conventions I enjoy:
using color in reply posts to differentiate between yes/no/other answers.
editing the initial post to indicate a puzzle has been $poiled.
-----
one other thing: I recently posted a soliloquy about the inspiration for my username, and faintly recall - I think - a thread regarding same on the old board. I'm curious about others, if anyone wants to share. Here's what I had submitted:
In Akira Kurosawa's great film, Yojimbo, the eponymous, wandering ronin [samurai without a master, in case you didn't know] basically flips a coin at a crossroads, and follows the random road. He ends up in a village in which two rival gangs seek supremacy [in a controversial shot, the first thing he sees in the village is a dog walking with a human hand in its mouth, but that's two reels worth of exposition right there...]. Both gang leaders try to hire the skilled Yojimbo to vanquish the other gang, but he endeavors to eliminate them both. In the process, he gets the **** beat out of him, but in the end, with subtle and ethical deployment of skills, he dispels the gangs, and then goes on his way. A great film, by my favorite director.
I find all that quite inspirational, and for many years, have claimed Yojimbo as an alter-ego. When in dire straits, I tell myself, "Do right, and just keep walking."
yojimbo

Postby WiZ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:32 am

I started using colours in my reply posts in June last year, in order to combat the fact that the bolded answers looked too much like the plain-text questions. I'm pleased to see that the idea has caught on. I'm also pleased to see that other ideas I've tried have not caught on, such as generating massive 3D ASCII text for the word 'spoiler'.

But, hey, the fetters of formatting on this new forum had been loosened considerably, and I dared to dream.

I also can't remember who was the first person to colour Redwine's name a shade of red wine. During the discus days, I was experimenting with the html tags for font colour, with some pleasing results. Wizardofnz gave a lush New Zealand green, whereas Peter365 gave a colour as emerald as the isle. The colour of FeliciaNimue was identical to that of her cat, and Redwine's was, of course, blue. I found a workaround, however: Font colour="Sauvignon" gave the name a most fitting robe.

Playing around with the possibilities led me to discover a few odd occurrences; such as some rather pointed insults matching perfectly with standard colours (such as one might use for another member's username). However, I never gave in to temptation, regardless of how quickly my puzzles were solved.
Last edited by WiZ on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WiZ

Postby yojimbo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:17 pm

I think yojimbo might have been the first to honor Redwine with a color, but that's irrelevant. We all inspire each other.
In my case, I used #731038 to get there. Had to use a hexadecimal color picking tool, and mentally pull up glasses of Cotes du Rhone.
I have yet to institute coloring usernames on the new board, as it's one extra step in formatting replies, but it should be easy, since my puzzles only seem to invite the same pair of ardent $poiling users -- with perhaps the odd drop-in -- which is a comment cajoling you to visit what I've got going.
yojimbo

Postby Balin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:30 pm

I briefly tried making Yes green and No red after the forum transfer. Then I found the Quick Reply button.
Balin

Postby WiZ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:12 pm

If we go with Urban Dictionary's definition of the adverb, then 'mentally pulling up glasses of Côtes-du-rhône' is an activity I invested rather a lot of energy into during my last holiday in Lyon.
WiZ

Postby BeachDude » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:04 pm

Hey All, I just posted a couple of puzzles but forgot to put my name in brackets before it. Now I'm certainly missing something obvious, but how do I go back and edit the subject title?
BeachDude

Postby BeachDude » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:09 pm

Ermmm, never mind. It's just a matter a of clicking on the editable subject field. duh.
BeachDude

Postby BeachDude » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Just a shout out to the mods: Good job - I for one am in favor for keeping the topic hanging for a a few days, because often there's some nice after-talk (we need a neologism for that!)

And, is the convention now, that we should edit our subject titles to say "SOLVED", and then the puzzle goes to "Solved puzzles" land?
BeachDude

Postby yojimbo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:19 am

yojimbo's in favor of an edit to indicate $poil [so I know which puzzles no longer require monitoring], and also having $poiled puzzles lurk in the active forum until the chatter dies down.
The old board had a section on puzzle formatting, but the FAQ at this one is merely canned phpBB stuff. Could we have an FAQ dedicated to hosting and participating in puzzles, once consensus on formatting and the like has been achieved?
yojimbo

Postby Tiger » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:46 am

BeachDude wrote:And, is the convention now, that we should edit our subject titles to say "SOLVED", and then the puzzle goes to "Solved puzzles" land?

It helps a lot - though I try and check each puzzle regularly, seeing a puzzled marked as 'SOLVED' and also seeing the date of the last post make it a lot easier to decide which puzzles to move, especially when there are a few. When the posts are moved to the solved section, we remove the SOLVED tag. Currently, solved puzzles are left on the active forum for 3~5 days after the last post/discussion has ended.

yojimbo wrote:The old board had a section on puzzle formatting, but the FAQ at this one is merely canned phpBB stuff. Could we have an FAQ dedicated to hosting and participating in puzzles, once consensus on formatting and the like has been achieved?

I wish this forum had an option to make text strikethrough... unfortunately only admins can make custom BB codes.
As for the FAQ, I personally believe that the forum is pretty self-explanatory especially if people take a look at one or two of the active puzzles. Then again, it could be something that would increase clarity and accommodate new members (like our abbreviation list). Let's see what the other members think.
Tiger

Postby BeachDude » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:23 am

I've been going through some REALLY tough shit in my life right now. LTPF right now is sort of an escape, And I apologize if any of my comments or replies seemed "off".
BeachDude

Postby GalFisk » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:45 am

No worries BeachDude, I hope happier times are ahead for you!
GalFisk

Postby peter365 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:22 am

I echo that sentiment Beachdude. Hopefully the LTPF can be a welcome distraction from the pressures of life.

I have a gripe, there are far too many puzzlers on this forum from across the water and as a result a lot of the activity takes place at very unsociable hours for us GMT people.

Given that the GMT zone is the centre of the earth could I ask all puzzlers, starting from today's date, to try and avoid posting outside of the hours of 9am to 10pm GMT.

I'm sure that this is the most logical solution. :?
peter365

Postby Balin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:38 pm

Yes, that makes total sense. And as I recall, your quick-Limbo suggestion at this time last year received similar support.
Balin

Postby peter365 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Balin wrote:Yes, that makes total sense. And as I recall, your quick-Limbo suggestion at this time last year received similar support.

What on earth do you mean? :?
peter365

Postby peter365 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:55 pm

I still haven't given up on the quick limbo idea :lol: :lol: :lol:
peter365

Postby BeachDude » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:25 am

Tiger wrote:
BeachDude wrote:And, is the convention now, that we should edit our subject titles to say "SOLVED", and then the puzzle goes to "Solved puzzles" land?

It helps a lot - though I try and check each puzzle regularly, seeing a puzzled marked as 'SOLVED' and also seeing the date of the last post make it a lot easier to decide which puzzles to move, especially when there are a few. When the posts are moved to the solved section, we remove the SOLVED tag. Currently, solved puzzles are left on the active forum for 3~5 days after the last post/discussion has ended.

Personally I would say leave them for a week at least, because I find that there's often some interesting comments after the spoiler, to leave a little more time to post post-spoiler comments. (But that's just my personal opinion, and I'm not doing the work that you mods are doing, so my opinion doesn count for much.) But From what I understand, you recommend I edit the subject title as soon as a I post the spoiler. I was just just afraid that be doing so, It might be immediately move to the SOLVED room, and in a lot of puzzles, the comments that are posted after the spoiler are quite educational or entertaining.

yojimbo wrote:The old board had a section on puzzle formatting, but the FAQ at this one is merely canned phpBB stuff. Could we have an FAQ dedicated to hosting and participating in puzzles, once consensus on formatting and the like has been achieved?

I wish this forum had an option to make text strikethrough... unfortunately only admins can make custom BB codes.
As for the FAQ, I personally believe that the forum is pretty self-explanatory especially if people take a look at one or two of the active puzzles. Then again, it could be something that would increase clarity and accommodate new members (like our abbreviation list). Let's see what the other members think.

Well maybe more than one or two. But then again on any specialized forum, it's good idea to lurk for a while until you learn the culture. Maybe some you are old enough the remember the heyday of usenet, when AOL opened access, and there was big time flaming of the ignorant newcomers. Not saying this happens here whatsoever. Of there's a tradeoff there, so yeah, whie I do think the FAQ should be as complete as possible, you mods are are doing this on your own time.
BeachDude

Postby BeachDude » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:39 am

peter365 wrote:I echo that sentiment Beachdude. Hopefully the LTPF can be a welcome distraction from the pressures of life.

I have a gripe, there are far too many puzzlers on this forum from across the water and as a result a lot of the activity takes place at very unsociable hours for us GMT people.

Given that the GMT zone is the centre of the earth could I ask all puzzlers, starting from today's date, to try and avoid posting outside of the hours of 9am to 10pm GMT.

I'm sure that this is the most logical solution. :?

It seems to me that you are the one across the water :-)
BeachDude

Postby BeachDude » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:14 pm

What's with this three day rule? Way to short!!
BeachDude

Postby BeachDude » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:06 pm

BTW I was apperently mistaken whe I said "The Ex Magician and other stories" s was out of print.. Aparrently youu can still get a copy. Perfect to read on a beach!! Especially a tropical one :-) Idealy that would be the perfect setting. So someone send momey for a vacation!

(Talking about about the Teleco the Rabit puzzle BTW).
BeachDude

Postby peter365 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Hi there puzzle pickers.

I was bored the other evening and was taking a little trip down memory lane by reading through the archives on the old forum.

Lots of amazing puzzles there and also I noticed some really creative puzzle titles.

What is your favourite title that you've given to one of your own puzzles?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:53 am

If you can find one of my puzzles with a straightforward descriptive title, it's worth an absolute fortune.

That said, I think this one is my favourite. It's clever, succinct, and subtle, much like a good lateral puzzle should be (IMHO).

http://www.lateralpuzzles.com/discus/me ... 1402609973
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:54 am

:lol: I remember that one well . Your titles are always pretty cool , I really liked your recent Bruce Springsteen themed one.

This is my favourite of my own , I was really proud of this as the puzzle revolved around a cat hiding.

http://www.lateralpuzzles.com/discus/me ... 1334906318
peter365

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 am

By jove, that is clever. One of the great many hazards of being a homeowner, I suppose.
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:00 am

I remember the cat puzzle, it was a good one.
I believe I'm in the lead now with my "DIY" puzzle as the most-posts-until-solve non-lateral-maze puzzle-on-the-new-forum. En garde!

If I find the book with the short story colleciton in it, I may make some puzzles out of the other stories. There were a few others that were quite good too.
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:23 am

This one's probably my favorite of my own puzzle titles. Doesn't have the humor factor, but it's very nice.
http://lateralpuzzles.com/discus/messag ... 21003.html
Of my wittier puzzle titles, I think this I liked the most. Perfect for a Christmas scrund.
http://lateralpuzzles.com/discus/messag ... 22072.html
Balin

Postby peter365 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:24 am

Ah Balin you'll sentimental old so and so.

I'd forgotten about your Like The Perfect Friends puzzle.

Very nice :)
peter365

Postby Balin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:29 am

My "Disc inferno" adventure has now reached its halfway point - four of the eight CDs have been recovered - so if anyone would like to join in the hunt, now would be a good time to hop in.

For those who haven't seen it, "Disc inferno" is the sequel to my "We're not gonna pay..." return-the-movies adventure from a year and a half ago. The original is here: http://lateralpuzzles.com/discus/messag ... 22861.html
Balin

Postby biograd » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:37 pm

A current puzzle about a password reminded me of something that happened recently to me. I walked up a street called "Hawk Hill Road" and reached a gate at the entrance to a park. The park is also, at least informally, called "Hawk Hill", even though according to Google it's not technically on Hawk Hill Road. There is, in fact, a completely different but significantly better known place that's also called "Hawk Hill" not too far from there, that's known (at least to photographers) as a place with great views--but that's irr.

Anyway, the gate had a combination lock with four number wheels. Having the lateral puzzle mindset, I tried every way I could think of to convert the word HAWK into a 4-digit number and tried them on the lock. They are the 8th, 1st, 23rd, and 11th letters of the alphabet, so I tried 8121 (first digits), 8131 (last digits), and 8152 (digit sums), but none of them worked.

The gate could easily be bypassed by just walking around the side of it, but I tried opening the lock anyway, just to see if I could make real life work like a lateral puzzle. :)
biograd

Postby Balin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:54 pm

Hmm... how about 4295? ("HAWK" on a phone numberpad)
Balin

Postby RedWine » Mon May 04, 2015 8:33 pm

Today I visited Escape the Room place in my city. As encouraged by you, I put my experiences into a lateral puzzle - it can be found on the top of the active section. I invite you all to give it a try.
RedWine

Postby peter365 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:15 am

Good morning puzzlers. I'm back after a short absence from the forum. I've been recovering from a very painful ruptured calf muscle which I inflicted upon myself by momentarily forgetting that I'm 44 not 24.
peter365

Postby Balin » Tue May 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Glad you're healing up. Hope you at least got an interesting story out of the injury.
Balin

Postby peter365 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Unfortunately I didn't even get an idea for a puzzle out of the incident.

I did it while coaching my daughter's gaelic football team . Was demonstrating a drill , took two paces and pow muscle rupture. This was about two minutes after I gave them a lecture on the importance of stretching before training.
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Mon May 11, 2015 12:57 pm

I found the book of short mystery stories from which I took the puzzles "DIY" and "Good times were had by all". Expect more puzzles next week.
This weekend I'm going to be an instructor's assistant during our first skydiving course of the year, so I'll be busy.
GalFisk

Postby kyeannpepper » Mon May 11, 2015 9:25 pm

Hello all, I'm back. Apologies for dropping off the face of the forum, a bunch of school things hit all at once and I didn't have much free time. On the plus side, one of those Escape the Room places recently opened up where I live, and I got to visit a few weeks ago. It was quite a lot of fun, and I'm revisiting to do the other room later this week with some friends. I've been working on a Lateral Adventure that I'll probably post in just a moment. Anyways, I'm glad to be back!
kyeannpepper

Postby WiZ » Tue May 12, 2015 12:41 pm

Greetings from a train winding its way through the jaw-droppingly beautiful countryside of Norway. I will, apparently, miss the very jaw-droppingest part due to an avalanche closing the tracks two hours south of Bergen. Perhaps I should have bought that magazine from the Roma outside Oslo central station.
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Tue May 12, 2015 1:37 pm

Have a great time in Norway, the country of my childhood! It's beautiful.
GalFisk

Postby peter365 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:12 am

Things are mighty quiet in the chatroom at the moment.

Proud of my little country being the first in the world to endorse gay marriage by referendum. A resounding victory for tolerance and equality.
peter365

Postby WiZ » Tue May 26, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm so moved by this decision that I have decided to up and visit Ireland. From late June until mid-July, I think. Where does one go to buy the sort of Guinness locals enjoy?
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:18 am

There's no shortage of pubs that serve really great Guinness. Avoid the brightly lit more modern pub as in my experience the best pint is to be had in the old fashioned spit and sawdust type establishment.

Have you been to Ireland before WiZ? You don't half get about this planet of ours.
peter365

Postby WiZ » Wed May 27, 2015 2:28 pm

And who could reproach me? I've spent nearly three decades in a part of it that doesn't even show up on maps half the time.

This will be my first trip to Ireland. Quite looking forward to it; both due to ancestral connections and a desire to look past the twinkly-eyed stereotypes and experience the country that saved western civilisation and gave us chemistry, entrepreneurship, croquet, submarines, chocolate milk and Andrea Corr.
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:01 am

That's the attitude , when you strip away all the Darby O'Gill nonsense there's a great wee country for you to enjoy.
peter365

Postby Admin » Fri May 29, 2015 1:30 pm

On this podcast I talk about Lateral thinking puzzles and we set and solve some. My interview with @Jeremy_Nicholas

http://www.thepsa.co.uk/2015/05/moving- ... ng-expert/

Paul Sloane
Admin

Postby Balin » Fri May 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Bit of an oddball question, but: Do Irish pubs typically contain a lot of mirrors?

I have a legitimate reason for asking that question. I will explain that reason later on, as I'm pretty busy this weekend and won't be on much (if at all).
Balin

Hellooooo

Postby BeccaK » Sun May 31, 2015 9:04 pm

Hello everybody! I've been away from the forum for a really, really long time! (So long that I can't access my old account, since it was from the old forum and I no longer have access to the email that I originally registered with). So for anyone who's been around enough to remember me, this is Beccaann :)

I'm excited to jump back in!
BeccaK

Postby Balin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:11 pm

Welcome back, Becca!

(Irish pub question explanation: I just saw the musical Once and both before the show and during intermission, the stage (set as an Irish pub) becomes as an open bar; the audience can come on stage and purchase drinks. On stage, I noticed that the walls of the set were covered in mirrors. I'm not sure if this is reflective (pun!) of actual Irish pubs or if it's a set/lighting style choice.)
Balin

Postby peter365 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:13 am

Well well well our roving Athens girl returns. Delighted to see you back this way Becca :D , how are things in REM's home town?

Balin , yes the older more traditional Irish pubs do have a lot of mirrors, particularly behind the bar. Not sure why but maybe to give the impression the establishment is bigger than it actually is. Most of the mirrors have a drinks logo emblazoned on them most notably stouts and ales like Guinness or Smithwicks and the Irish whiskeys like Jameson, Paddy & Powers.
peter365

Postby BeccaK » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Glad to be back, Peter! Thanks!

Athens was lovely last time I was there (sometime last year), but I moved to Baton Rouge, Louisiana about 7 years ago to get my MFA (which is about when I disappeared from LTPF...life got crazy!!!) and stuck around after I graduated.
BeccaK

Postby peter365 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:37 am

Baton Rouge eh? ...that's me signing 'Me & Bobby McGee' for the rest of the day. :)
peter365

Postby WiZ » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:22 pm

For me, it's Wakko Warner on state capitals:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0-0rJKtbVQ
WiZ

Postby BeccaK » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:53 am

Most people go with Garth Brooks' ("Calling Baton Rouge")
BeccaK

Postby peter365 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:25 am

Oh Becca you don't want to get me started on Garth Brooks :evil: :evil: :evil:
peter365

Postby Balin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:26 pm

When it comes to country music vs. Animaniacs, I'll take the animated cartoon trio every time.
Balin

Postby BeccaK » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:47 pm

hahahaha.... I agree with you both!
BeccaK

Postby peter365 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:46 am

I actually love Country music but not that stetson wearing crooner.
peter365

Postby gregoryuconn » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:20 pm

Apologies if I shouldn't be posting this here, but I just had a short story published in eBook format. It's called "Adam" and it's a parable in the style of Asimov about artificial intelligence, with parallels to much of human history. You can get it from Amazon here for the Kindle and related Apps (including those for smartphones and Windows 8) or from Barnes & Noble here for the Nook and associated apps. It will soon be available in the Apple iBook store.

Again, sorry if it's improper to be posting this here.
gregoryuconn

Postby WiZ » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:44 pm

Greetings from Dublin, where everybody seems to be having a gay old time. I can only surmise that the entire city is underpinned by pots of gold, many of which are following drunken revellers around the streets.

I was quite happy to see the statue of the late miss Malone, having used her ballad as a teaching resource with my Troisieme section europeenne.
WiZ

Postby BeachDude » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:16 pm

Wow this place chat room is quite active bill have to hang out here more often
BeachDude

Puzzling stack exhange?

Postby BeachDude » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:40 pm

There are some very good puzzles on the site especially the visual ones. Look for the two puzzles with owls. Googling the subject line should get you there
BeachDude

Postby peter365 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:29 pm

Cead Mile Failte WiZ to our humble little City.

The statue of Molly Malone is nice but in true irreverent style the Dubliners have nicknamed her the Tart with the Cart because as you may have noticed she's showing quite a bit of what God gave her.

Hope you have a great time.
peter365

Postby peter365 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:32 pm

You probably are all aware of my REM obsession but I'm also a bit of an old rocker so I'm very excited to be going to the 'Thunder from Down Under' tomorrow night. Yep AC/DC are coming to town . wahooo!!!!

:twisted:
peter365

Postby Balin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:08 pm

When I was in Dublin a couple years back, we were told three local nicknames for lovely Miss Molly: the Tart with the Cart, the Dish with the Fish, and the Trollop with the Scallops.
Balin

Postby WiZ » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:15 pm

This is something of a one-shot question, which is why I'm posting it here instead of as a puzzle:

I got a perfect score on my exam, but the professor still have me a C. What is my major?*

*Assume the exam is for the subject in which I'm majoring.
WiZ

Is this forum still active, or am I too late?

Postby EvilLordGravy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:14 am

I just joined this forum, so I'm not really sure how this stuff works, but could someone please let me now if this forum is still active, or if it has been replaced or ended? :(
EvilLordGravy

Re: Is this forum still active, or am I too late?

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:56 pm

You're not late. Welcome to the forum!
GalFisk

Postby EvilLordGravy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks!
EvilLordGravy

Postby Ol Oil » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Yes, because I work at the muffin factory
Ol Oil

Postby BeachDude » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:28 pm

Are you actually late? Or is this an opinion you have? Do you think that this forum is inactive for some reason?
oops I see that posting puzzles in this area is not allowed
BeachDude

Postby EvilLordGravy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:56 am

Haha. Anyway, it's good to see that the forum is still fully operational
EvilLordGravy

Postby peter365 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:39 am

Was it Roman or Latin studies and your 100% was a C?
peter365

Postby peter365 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:25 pm

Sorry I did some merging of Chatroom threads so my last comment looks a little out of place . It was an answer to WiZ's one shot question from last week .

Please try to avoid making chatroom posts a separate thread as it would get very hard to manage.
peter365

Postby WiZ » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:33 am

Peter is correct! X marks out of X.
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:14 am

:D :D

High v
peter365

Postby peter365 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:32 am

I reached the nice age of 45 years old yesterday and on the same weekend my beloved County Monaghan (their crest is my avatar) became Ulster Gaelic Football champions for the second time in 3 years by beating fierce rivals Donegal by the narrowest of margins in an amazingly tense match on Sunday.

Happy days all round.
peter365

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:24 pm

Happy yesterday! I mean birthday. I mean yesterday-birthday.
Balin

Postby Lynne » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:40 pm

Happy birthday for the other day Peter. At present we're on an 11+ hour train journey from Zurich to Budapest, so if anyone is around within the next hour (it's 19.39 Central European Time, so I guess 18.39 BST) I'd be glad of a chat.
Lynne

Postby BeccaK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:54 am

Happy birthday, Peter, and happy travels, Lynne!

I'm going on a bit of a journey myself soon - I leave next week to spend 7 days in Hawaii and then 10 in Australia.
I'm hoping to get my two active puzzles wrapped up before I leave so I don't have to neglect them for weeks. (Not trying to beg; they're not starved for attention or anything, just putting it out there!)
BeccaK

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:29 am

Awesome, Becca, enjoy the trip. Just back from four days in Tucson, Arizona myself. I'm vaguely thinking of trips to Ireland or Gibraltar at the moment.

Am finding opportunities to use short Martin Gardner-style puzzles at work, mostly in my ongoing Dungeons and Dragons campaign which has amazingly gotten teenagers off the computer for as much as three hours at a clip. One I'm looking forward to using is "put ten coins into three cups, with an odd number in each cup." Have also used the "find strange things on dollar bills" ones. Regular LTPF ones that can be converted to medieval settings might be good, like the "Arthur gave one of his knights a bottomless container that held flesh and blood" one. Suggestions?
JenBurdoo

Postby peter365 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:20 am

Hi there, just wanted to let you all know that the fight against spammers shows no signs of abating. I get an e-mail for every new user who needs their first post approved and in the last week I would estimate that I've had at least 200 of these all of which have been spammers.

They're usually easy to spot as they have user names like 'uealklyhakfkde' or something equally nonsensical. My only worry is that I might accidently block a genuinely new user but I don't think I have yet. The levels have spiked in the last week and I'm not sure why , for example I had 38 spammers this morning alone.

I think the point is that anyone who complains that their first post has to be moderator approved should consider how overrun with spam we would be if that were not the case. I'm not looking for gratitude here but just thought you'd be interested in this unseen part of our beloved forum.

Am I the only mod getting these mails? If Balin Jen, Kalira or Tiger are too I'd ask them to be extra vigilent and not approve any spammers because I hate to see them win.
peter365

Postby peter365 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:23 am

Jen

I don't know the 10 coins in 3 cups one . Do tell.
peter365

Postby Balin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:48 pm

Pete - I don't have the banhammer so I can't approve/disapprove posts or ban spammers, but I can delete any posts from spammers that I see. There was a really bad one last week who kept flooding the chatroom with game adverts. Overall though I'd say you all have done very good work because fewer have slipped through the cracks.
Balin

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:58 pm

Yeah, my inbox is overwhelmed with spambots right now. IIRC there was a way to block the computers these are coming from, but I don't remember how to do it.

Peter, the 3 cups puzzle is as follows:

You have ten coins, and three cups.

Put an odd number of coins into each cup. You must use all the cups and all the coins.

A similar but unrelated puzzle:

You have ten cups, five of them filled with water, laid out as follows:

full - full - full - full - full - empty - empty - empty - empty - empty

How can you change this sequence to:

full - empty - full - empty - full - empty - full - empty - full - empty

by moving only two cups?
JenBurdoo

Postby Balin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:48 pm

I know the answer to both of those but I won't spoyle it for those who want to figure it out.
Balin

Postby Admin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:12 am

I am getting a swarm of spam applications to join at the moment. I delete them rigorously but the occasional one might get through if it looks genuine. I have the power to ban users so let me know if any active spammers need banning.

Paul
Admin

Postby peter365 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:09 am

I think I've worked out the coin one.
peter365

Postby BeachDude » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:41 am

WiZ wrote:I tried to find an example of a mathematical lateral thinking puzzle, but came up short.

Hey you guys ever tried puzzlers stack exchange? Some math puzzles there.
BeachDude

Postby JenBurdoo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:34 am

I have a puzzle I've given several hints on and no one's touched it... pretty please?

It just occurred to me that some of the classic puzzles might have a place in my Dungeons and Dragons campaign. Say, the players witness a sailor stumbling terrified out of a tavern and killing himself, and when they investigate they find albatross on his plate... unfortunately I think I've given them that one already. Any suggestions for puzzles that might fit in a medieval milieu?
JenBurdoo

Postby irishelk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:03 am

Jen,
The one that comes immediately to mind is the old breakruler-- the midget lying dead next to a broken ruler? Perhaps he's a court jester?...I don't know Dungeons & Dragons...

Quick question because I'm curious--does anyone else dislike using the LTPF lists, or having them used on their puzzles? I always feel mean for not letting people use them, or complaining when they do, but I really don't like them. I feel like guessing the location, or species, or manner of death, is integral to some puzzles, especially the simpler ones that are fun for newbs to solve. Even saying "I'm not allowing X LTPF list" might give away which aspect of your puzzle is the key. I know that the guessing game part of a puzzle is not usually the lateral leap, but it can be. For my just-solved They're Coming To Take Me Away puzzle, for example, it would have been over so quickly if someone had just said "Does this take place in [LTPF list of locations]?"

Thoughts?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:54 pm

I find that people are asking for the LTPF lists less, so it really hasn't affected my puzzles. Overall I don't usually mind the lists, but you make a good point about their relevance to particular puzzles.
Balin

Postby peter365 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi folks , it's a bit quiet in lateraland at the moment which I'm hoping is just to do with the time of year.

I was away for the last fortnight on my annual vacation but for the first time in 15 years we didn't go to France. My eldest daughter has just finished her final school exams and has been accepted to her first choice college course . She's going to study Food Sciences. Her exam results surpassed all of our expectations and would put her in the top 10% nationwide. Very proud mam and dad, but going to college in Ireland is darn expensive so we felt we couldn't justify lounging around the Vendee for a fortnight slurping vino and gorging ourselves on cheese.

We had to make do with a mini break in Co. Donegal where we were treated to the rare sight of Basking sharks living up to their name by wallowing around in shallow water near the shoreline on what was a beautiful sunny day. Believe or not we also saw a whale on the same day.

Hope things pick up around here.
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:00 pm

I'm back!
Windows 10 was relesed for free and sort of crushed us all under the support workload. It's finally easing up now, a month later, so I actually have some downtime now and then. Not much, but enough for a little LTPF :)
GalFisk

Postby BeccaK » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:49 am

I'm back as well, after a wonderful vacation, parts of which might become new puzzles soon, so I won't say too much here. Followed the trip with a week of terrible jet lag, packing up my apartment, catching a cold, moving to a new apartment, getting over my cold, and somehow getting through the first week of school in one piece. Whew! We'll see how much brain power I've got left for puzzling!
BeccaK

Postby peter365 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:15 am

I downloaded windows 10 and was most disappointed to lose 'Hearts' a card game which (if I do say so myself) I'm pretty darn good at.
peter365

Postby OokOok » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:42 pm

Very excited to stumble across this site. Was introduced to my first puzzle ("The music stopped and she died") about 40 years ago and have been trying to pass along the fun since then.

I'm the Cubmaster of a Cub Scout Pack and each year at our campouts I present a lateral puzzle around the campfire. I've been doing this for a number of years but my list of puzzles basically come from the "well known" list and I'm looking for recommendations of crowd-pleasing puzzles suitable for 7-12 year olds.

What does "suitable" mean? Well, I saw your list of Achievements here and the puzzles I've used in the past would mostly fall under "The Albatross" category. Kids/families who have been coming to campouts for many years have figured out that they should "try to find the blind midget" early on :D

Strange deaths are also common, but only in an abstract way. So while I liked the puzzle here about Tom/Dick/Harry, bi-lateral dissection, and a mirror...that's just a bit TOO dark for my audience. Implied gore is OK...but if solving the puzzle means asking lots of gory questions then...no.

Finally, puzzles that require subject-matter expertise beyond that of 1st-5th graders are out. When questions such as "would this have happened now/20th century/19th century/18th century" or "is the kind of chemical reaction important" would have relevance...we might be barking up the wrong tree.

Within those admittedly simplistic guidelines...any recommendations?
OokOok

Postby Admin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:41 am

Hi OokOok,

Glad you like the puzzles. There are plenty here in the archives which would be suitable for Scouts or Cubs. You would have to trawl through and choose. Alternatively I can heartily recommend these two books available from Amazon and all good bookstores:

Lethal Lateral Thinking Puzzles

Hall of Fame Lateral Thinking Puzzles

both by Paul Sloane and Des MacHale

good luck and good puzzling

Paul Sloane
Admin

Postby peter365 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:22 am

Hi OokOok

I guess we've all got our favourites but In terms of simplicity and cunning I've always had a soft spot for this puzzle which was run on our old forum back in April 2008. The poster was called Squire of Saskatoon and I think it was the only puzzle they ever contributed. Very few people that I've tried it on solve it. It demonstrates how difficult it is to ignore preconceptions and allow your brain to think outside the box. Unfortunately I'm unable to post a direct link to it but It goes like this:

I drive down the highway and pass six signs. Five of them are as follows:

Speed Limit: 50
Speed Limit: 40
Speed Limit: 30
Speed Limit: 20
Speed Limit: 10

What does the sixth sign say?

The Answer is 'Welcome to Speed Limit'
peter365

Postby peter365 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:27 am

There was also a very clever word play one but I can't remember when or by whom it was posted.

The scenario is that a man walks into a shop and asks for something and the shopkeeper replies 'I don't have any man get out' and you have to work out what type of shop it is ?

It's a fruit and veg shop . The man has asked for some Mange Tout (ManGetOut) .

My kids loved that one because it manages to be really clever and yet corny at the same time.
peter365

Postby Admin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:54 pm

Peter,

I love the Speed Limit puzzle too. You stumped me with it in Dublin.

The Mangetout puzzle is by Lloyd King who is a master puzzle composer.

Here is another of his - What living thing is a cross between a man and a cat?

Good puzzling

Paul
Admin

Postby peter365 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:04 am

Is a particular Isle of Man resident relevant?
peter365

Postby Lynne » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:25 pm

Is it a tomcat?
Lynne

Postby peter365 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:14 am

I think it's a Manx cat which would be a cross (x) in the middle of a man and cat.

Hence my Isle of Man reference.
peter365

Postby Lynne » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:12 am

That's very good 'complete' thinking, Peter.

Does anyone do the quizzes on Sporcle? My daughter introduced me to the one for naming the US states. I gradually learned them all, and even my brother who has lived there all his adult life had to ask me about the position of nearby states to his own. To be fair, I just cannot get my head around all the counties of England. Yet I've gone on to learn all 197 countries of the world, all their flags and all the capitals of Europe, most of Africa (some are way too long to memorise although I do love Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso) and most of Asia. I also know all the flags of the US states and their capitals. It's nice to know that this old brain can actually learn something new and it does help when watching the news on TV being able to recognise the flags and having a clearer idea of where countries actually are. Of course when I was at school there were a lot fewer countries to learn.
Lynne

Postby peter365 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:39 pm

I love sporcle because I'm quite a nerd when it comes to listing all things sporting, musical and film related . I've always had good geographical knowledge as my head was rarely out of an atlas when I was a young lad but like yourself I can't get my head around English counties . I'm grand up north but once i reach the midlands I'm snookered.

My whole family love Sporcle and many a happy evening has been spent doing quizzes together. My eldest daughter is an atlas phenomenon and most importantly has an incredible spelling gift even when it comes to those pesky ex USSR countries (or the stanleys as I call them). She knows all her Comoroses , Micronesias and Vanuatus and is a wiz at all those unfamiliar West Indies countries too. I don't know where she gets it from.
peter365

Postby Lynne » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:48 pm

Bishkek or bust, eh? Kyrgyzstan is the favourite of Sporcle. We're downsizing due to retirement next January and I'm donating the Children's Britannica to a charity shop. No mention of the internet, many flags were different in 1988, and far fewer countries with nary a mention of the five other stans. They'll make good history books.
Lynne

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:48 am

Count me in among the Sporcle nuts. They're currently running a puzzle hunt and although I know I'm on the right track for most of them, I've solved exactly one so far. I particularly love their logic puzzles, and have created a few myself.
Balin

Postby peter365 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:52 am

Must confess to not being a huge logic puzzle fan but to each his own.

I love the song lyric ones where you're given a completely blank answer sheet and by guessing common words you slowly identify the song and then face a rush to type in all of the lyrics before the clock runs out. It can be maddeningly frustrating. I like the audio ones too, there's a few really good ones on famous moments in history which you should check out.
peter365

Postby Lynne » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:56 am

I'm less keen on logic puzzles but I spent time on a geographical one as I was working for a particular badge (all the badges I never got in Brownies!). By the time I'd finished it, I'd got the logic lovers badge. I was puzzled as I'd only touched on about 7 up to that point. But I'd taken about 68 attempts to get that single one and that alone got me the badge. So which puzzles have you submitted? I'll have a look.
Lynne

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:31 pm

I have four logic puzzles submitted: Santa's List Hacked, The 39 Stamps, The Duel, and April Fools' Day. My username on Sporcle is Balin (as it is here).
Balin

Postby biograd » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Sometimes I Google LTPF terms in the random chance that some of them have spread beyond this forum into the wider Internet. I came across this one:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =208752746

Though I'm suspecting someone wanted to write "air-to ground missiles" and made a typo, it is a fun mental image to think that there are anti-scrund missiles zooming around trying to seek out your scrunds and get rid of them.
biograd

Postby peter365 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:41 pm

We're way too long without a chatroom post so I'm just going to apologise for my recent lack of activity on the forum and promise to come up with a new puzzle very soon.
peter365

Postby WiZ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:21 am

I'm back in New Zealand after over a year teaching in France and exploring the world. I've had a nice time.

Won't be a terribly active puzzle host for a little while as I search for work and other necessary evils to get my life back on track. However, I hope to go back to a government job and therefore have all the time in the world to post.
WiZ

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:15 am

O hai everywun

teh kaylee kitteh haz returned...if yuo still wantz arownd dat iz.

awlso, I haz noo puzzul. iz nawt $poyled yet, plz can haz moar kweshunz?

thnx,

teh wun and onlee kaylee kitteh

(Hi everyone!

I, Kaylee, have returned...if you still want me around, anyway.

I have a new puzzle, which hasn't been $poiled yet, so please may I have more questions? :)

Thank you,

your one and only Kaylee Kitteh)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Lynne » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:09 am

Welcome back Kaylee!

It's Back to the Future day, a day that for so many of us was way in the future. I remember dreading 1984 thanks to George Orwell until I read that he'd wanted to name the book 1948 and that he was writing about how he viewed the present day of the time. I then couldn't think beyond 2000. I had bought a diary in the 1970s called Diary of a Lifetime. Just two pages per year, 6 months per page. You filled in the year in a box on the top and how old you would be that year. I couldn't envisage even 2001. And now the entire trilogy of Back to the Future is set in the past.

Edited - should it be (trilogy) ARE set in the past or IS set in the past?
Last edited by Lynne on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynne

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:17 am

Lynne wrote:Welcome back Kaylee!

It's Back to the Future day, a day that for so many of us was way in the future. I remember dreading 1984 thanks to George Orwell until I read that he'd wanted to name the book 1948 and that he was writing about how he viewed the present day of the time. I then couldn't think beyond 2000. I had bought a diary in the 1970s called Diary of a Lifetime. Just two pages per year, 6 months per page. You filled in the year in a box on the top and how old you would be that year. I couldn't envisage even 2001. And now the entire trilogy of Back to the Future are set in the past.

oh thank you :) *hugz lynne kitteh*

yes and the Cubs are supposed to win the World Series...*doesn't see much chance of that now* and where's my hoverboard?! oh yeah...in my Loot Crate, whenever it gets here. *is prone to watching Loot Crate Unboxing videos with $poylerz*
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby peter365 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:54 am

In terms of consistency I'm of the opinion that Back to the Future is the best movie trilogy ever made.

I would have said the Godfather but GF3 pulled down the average a bit although it's a pretty good movie in its own right.
Indiana Jones would have been right up there but they went and made that 4th movie.
The Original 3 Star Wars were wonderful but don't get me started on the more recent ones.
For the young at heart Toy Story is terrific but it's not going to be a trilogy for much longer.

Any others?
peter365

Postby Lynne » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:00 am

My younger daughter was only 1 when the first BTTF came out but it must have been repeated sufficiently on TV that she has had a lifelong fascination with time travel (and of course is a great Doctor Who fan). I have several books that she has lent me on the subject. Gethsemane is my personal favourite time travel story.

BTTF really is a family legend for us.

The only other trilogy that I really know is the Superman one. With Christopher Reeve. The first two were great but the third one was disappointing.
Lynne

Postby peter365 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:01 am

Actually Christopher Reeve did 4 Superman movies so unfortunately it doesn't count as a trilogy. I did love those movies though. Gene Hackman was a great Lex Luthor.
peter365

Postby Lynne » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:18 am

I did wonder in the back of my mind whether it was a quadrilogy but it was obviously so forgettable.....
Lynne

Postby peter365 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:09 am

Yep the 4th one was pretty poor.

I'm expecting some Lord of the Rings protest . Vastly overrated in my humble opinion.
peter365

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:45 pm

peter365 wrote:Yep the 4th one was pretty poor.

I'm expecting some Lord of the Rings protest . Vastly overrated in my humble opinion.

Overrated?!

:( how could you Peter???

Kaylee
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:03 am

This is the part where I mention I've only seen the first BTTF then slowly back out of the conversation before getting chewed out.
Balin

Postby peter365 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:17 am

Kaylee - Vive La Difference

Balin - Another two entries for your 'must see' list.
peter365

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:59 am

Peter - Tolkien's books will always be my favourite, anyway.

Also, we're now in the future O_o thanks, Back to the Future II...

Also, also, the Cubs messed up. :P

And on top of all that, I feel like my puzzle is lonely :(

kaylee kitteh wonders if maybe she makes stupid puzzles few people want to try :(

I used to be better at puzzles...I don't know what happened :( :( :(

Kaylee
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:02 am

It's not you. It's the new board and the fact we lost a lot of people in the course of the move. I try my best to ask questions on puzzles lower down to lift them up to the top of the screen, but I've always been better at providing puzzles than solving them and so I don't ask my fair share to keep it going...
JenBurdoo

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:31 am

JenBurdoo wrote:It's not you. It's the new board and the fact we lost a lot of people in the course of the move. I try my best to ask questions on puzzles lower down to lift them up to the top of the screen, but I've always been better at providing puzzles than solving them and so I don't ask my fair share to keep it going...

Thank you, that is reassuring. :)

I have news. Those of you who have known me (as KayleeTonksLupin or KayleeArafinwiel) for a while on this board (or the earlier one, of course) know I had...issues with my father, to put it mildly. Well...I ended up getting into the process of asking for a restraining order. Which...was not fun. Well, anyway...the hearing was Wednesday afternoon. And the result is - as those of you who have checked my Facebook lately already know - we won. My mum and I. Well, technically, *I* won. I ended up having to go in there alone to face him, as my mum was a potential witness to his abuse. *shivers*

Still. I didn't look at him. I looked at the Commissioner (who was presiding over our hearing in place of a judge) when she spoke to me, and looked away from him when she talked to him. I didn't want to see him looking at me. Really, I shouldn't have worried. He made most of my case for me, honestly. The collective IQ of the room dropped every time he opened his mouth. You all know Judge Judy? The Commissioner was like her, except not so abrasive. Just forthright, matter-of-fact, not taking any nonsense from him. But some of the things he said...I swear it looked like she just wanted to bang her head on the desk. But she didn't.

I'm free of my abuser, for the first time in all my thirty years. Entirely. So...why don't I feel happier?

A very confused

Kaylee
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:43 pm

I'm happy for you, Kaylee. Perhaps give it time? It can be hard for your mind to move on when a chapter of your life ends, even if you've been waiting for it. Especially when I've been wrung out for a while, relief doesn't just appear, it takes time to flow in...
JenBurdoo

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:16 pm

JenBurdoo wrote:I'm happy for you, Kaylee. Perhaps give it time? It can be hard for your mind to move on when a chapter of your life ends, even if you've been waiting for it. Especially when I've been wrung out for a while, relief doesn't just appear, it takes time to flow in...

Thank you again Jen. I guess I was having a hard time thinking of it that way. I'm glad to have my Perfect Friends here who can think more logically than I can in this situation. :) (Since LTPF = Like The Perfect Friends, among other things it may stand for ;) )

Kaylee kitteh
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Balin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:24 pm

I'm glad to hear you've been able to get this freedom, Kaylee. And I agree with what Jen said – relief will come, in time.
Balin

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:28 am

Balin wrote:I'm glad to hear you've been able to get this freedom, Kaylee. And I agree with what Jen said – relief will come, in time.

*hugs Balin* Thank you. I'm still waiting, but I'm sure it'll come eventually.
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby wolfier » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:36 am

I went through quite a number of puzzles...and a lot of deaths are involved!! What's with such a dark theme, is murder a popular theme when it comes to these puzzles? :o
wolfier

Postby peter365 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:06 am

I guess most of the 'classic' lateral puzzles involve a death? suicidal midgets, depressed ablatross eaters, the music stopped scenarios etc.

Death comes in so many unusual ways it's a never ending supply of lateral scenarios. I don't think we're here because we're death obsessed , at least I hope not :o
peter365

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:15 am

"Old Money" was languishing, so it has been spoyled. I couldn't figure out how to edit the title to reflect that. I wonder if we will have Woubit back for a Woubit Christmas Puzzle in a week and a half or so?

Kaylee
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:31 pm

You can edit the title by editing the first post of the puzzle.
Balin

Return to The Chatroom