[gregoryuconn] A Birthday Puzzle

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[gregoryuconn] A Birthday Puzzle

Postby gregoryuconn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Why did someone I've never met or even spoken to before today wish me a happy birthday and give me something worth several hundred dollars?
gregoryuconn

Re: [gregoryuconn] A Birthday Puzzle

Postby RedWine » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:46 am

Did that person know you? Did you know that person? Did you really have the birthday that day? Were you given money? One valuable object? More objects? A possibility to use the service?
RedWine

Postby gregoryuconn » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:11 am

Did that person know you? No Did you know that person? Np Did you really have the birthday that day? Yes Were you given money? Not at that point, no. One valuable object? More objects? Depends on how you define and count objects. A possibility to use the service? Rephrase please.
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:22 am

Was anyone else having a birthday that day receive the same kind of thing? Were you given it to keep? Borrow? Use? Hold? Did the person know you had a birthday because: how you looked? What you said? what someone else said? Or did? Because they knew some information about you?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:43 am

Was anyone else having a birthday that day receive the same kind of thing? Not relevantly so Were you given it to keep? Borrow? Use? This Hold? Did the person know you had a birthday because: how you looked? What you said? Yes what someone else said? Or did? Because they knew some information about you?Yes, no to everything I didn't answer.
Last edited by gregoryuconn on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
gregoryuconn

Postby Zanreo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 am

Did they mistake you for someone else? Did they greet you and give you the present in person? Over the net? By mail?
Zanreo

Postby gregoryuconn » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:58 am

Did they mistake you for someone else? No Did they greet you and give you the present in person? Over the net? This is closest. Also, FA. By mail?
gregoryuconn

Postby Balin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:33 pm

Happy (belated) birthday!

Did they give you the thing as a present? Would they have given you the thing if it were not your birthday?
Balin

Postby Zanreo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:45 am

Would other people also have gotten the present? Or were you the only one?
Zanreo

Postby Strijder20 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Did they want to give you a present? Did you share a birthday?
Strijder20

Postby gregoryuconn » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Did they give you the thing as a present? NO! I was wondering how long it took for someone to realize this. Would they have given you the thing if it were not your birthday? Yes

Would other people also have gotten the present? Or were you the only one? Irrelevant, but someone else probably got it, or at least something similar. It wasn't a present though, as established above.

Did they want to give you a present? No Did you share a birthday? I don't know their birthday, but if so it's irrelevant.
gregoryuconn

Postby Strijder20 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:08 pm

Did you buy it? Was it something typical for birthdays and did that make the other person deduce it was your birthday? Did you tell them it was your birthday? Did you have to fill in personal data?
Strijder20

Postby gregoryuconn » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:49 pm

Did you buy it? No Was it something typical for birthdays and did that make the other person deduce it was your birthday? I'm not sure what you're asking. Did you tell them it was your birthday? Yes Did you have to fill in personal data?DOYD of "fill in" but OTRT in any case.
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:33 am

Were you asked about your date of birth? Did you show an identity card? Other documentation bearing your birth date? Did you borrow the thing? Rent it? Help with it? Do something as part of your job? Was the "happy birthday" wish humorous in any way? Did you receive something on behalf of someone else? Did you sign for a package?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:12 pm

Were you asked about your date of birth? Yes Did you show an identity card? No Other documentation bearing your birth date? No Did you borrow the thing? No Rent it? No Help with it? No Do something as part of your job? No, but you're OTRT. Was the "happy birthday" wish humorous in any way? Not really. Did you receive something on behalf of someone else? No Did you sign for a package? No
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:01 am

Did you get to keep the object? If so, permanently? for some time? Were you asked in order to check your age? Were you in a store? Other place of business? Did you give anything to the person? Did they give it to you as part of their job?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:43 pm

Were you in a hotel? Or another place where you need to check-in? Did you get something free as an adition to something else you paid for? Were you granted the possibility to use a facility or service that would normally not have been included?
RedWine

Postby gregoryuconn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:54 am

Did you get to keep the object? Yes If so, permanently? If I really wanted to, but it's not something you'd ordinarily keep forever. for some time? See previous answer Were you asked in order to check your age? Noish Were you in a store? No Other place of business? Not at the time Did you give anything to the person? You mean a tangible object? No. Did they give it to you as part of their job? Yes or yesish

Were you in a hotel? Not at the time, but a hotel is relevant Or another place where you need to check-in? Again, not at the time, but another place is relevant too, and more so. Did you get something free as an adition to something else you paid for? No Were you granted the possibility to use a facility or service that would normally not have been included?No
gregoryuconn

Postby EvilLordGravy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:11 pm

Is the lottery relevant?
EvilLordGravy

Postby gregoryuconn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Is the lottery relevant? Not at all.
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:14 am

Did you pay for the object? Was it included in something you paid for? Would you have been given it if it hadn't been your birthday that day? Is the object edible? Bigger than you? Is it made from metal? Precious metal? Plastic? Rubber? Ceramics? Glass? Stone? Precious stone? Leather/fur/skin? Bone/horn/teeth/animal parts? Paper/cardboard? Wood? Is it a mechanical device? Electrical? Electronic? Does it cost a lot to create? Or is it an object of largely symbolic value? Such as a rare coin? Or famous autograph?
GalFisk

Postby Zanreo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:38 am

Was it a physical item?
Zanreo

Postby gregoryuconn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:08 pm

Did you pay for the object? No Was it included in something you paid for? No Would you have been given it if it hadn't been your birthday that day? Yes Is the object edible? No Bigger than you? No Is it made from metal? Precious metal? Plastic? Rubber? Ceramics? Glass? Stone? Precious stone? Leather/fur/skin? Bone/horn/teeth/animal parts? Paper/cardboard? Possibly this Wood? Is it a mechanical device? Electrical? Electronic? It's not an electronic device, but it could be in electronic form. Does it cost a lot to create? Not specifically to create it, but indirectly yes Or is it an object of largely symbolic value? Such as a rare coin? Or famous autograph? No to these
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:24 pm

Is it money? A coupon? Change? Is there relevant picture(s) on it?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:12 am

Is it money? A coupon? Change? Is there relevant picture(s) on it? No to all
gregoryuconn

Postby LemonCurry » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:01 am

Was it an entrance Card? Other sort of ticket?
Did they know its value? Have they made a mistake?
Have they paid for it? Several hundred Dollars? less? nothing?
Were they a Business selling such items?
LemonCurry

Postby gregoryuconn » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:02 pm

Was it an entrance Card? No Other sort of ticket? YES
Did they know its value? Probably but irrelevant. Have they made a mistake? No
Have they paid for it? Do you mean did the person I spoke with personally pay for it out of her own pocket? If so, then no. But it was paid for, if that's what you're asking. Several hundred Dollars? Probably thisless? nothing?
Were they a Business selling such items? No (though technically this would work if they were - what kind of business they are is irrelevant.)

Clarification: I'm assuming "They" refers to who I spoke with, except in the last question where it refers to the business. The business paid for the ticket. The person I spoke with did not.
gregoryuconn

Postby LemonCurry » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:41 am

Ok, from now: "they" = the business responsible for you getting the ticket.

Was it a travelling ticket? If so,
means of travel relevant?
for a single trip? Or for a given period?
Was it for a business trip? Otherwise job-related? Or private?

Did you expect to get the ticket? If not, were you happy about it? Or angry?
LemonCurry

Postby gregoryuconn » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:09 pm

Ok, from now: "they" = the business responsible for you getting the ticket. Ok

Was it a travelling ticket? yes If so,
means of travel relevant? Somewhat, there are others that could have worked, I believe, but not all.
for a single trip? Well, round-trip Or for a given period?
Was it for a business trip? Otherwise job-related? To avoid a lot of yopish answers that will send you guessing on irrelevant paths, it was for a job interview. So I didn't have the job yet (though I got the job, which is irrelevant to this puzzle.) Or private?

Did you expect to get the ticket? If not, were you happy about it? Or angry?
gregoryuconn

Postby LemonCurry » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:02 am

Well, Job interview would have been my next guess. I had the interview for my current Job on the day the new Pope was elected. I wonder if that could be turned into a nice LTP =)

So you got an invitation to a job interview on your birthday, along with a ticket to the company's place?
Which was just a coincidence?

And of course, they knew your birthday as it was in your CV? And the HR executive which sent out the invitations was attentive enough to notice and add a Happy Birthday to the mail?

Anything else?
LemonCurry

Postby gregoryuconn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:14 pm

So you got an invitation to a job interview on your birthday,Not quite, no. along with a ticket to the company's place? It's simpler than that.
Which was just a coincidence? No, I needed a plane ticket to fly in for the interview because the company is in Northern Virginia and I didn't live in the area. I could have driven six hours each way, but they were nice enough to fly me in and put me up at a hotel.

And of course, they knew your birthday as it was in your CV? No, now we're getting OTWT And the HR executive which sent out the invitations was attentive enough to notice and add a Happy Birthday to the mail? No, really OTWT now.

Anything else? See above.
gregoryuconn

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:27 pm

Ah, that's why your location in the latest Invite was in Virginia.

Was the job interview itself on your birthday? Were you given the plane ticket on your birthday? Did you learn you got the interview on your birthday?
Balin

Postby gregoryuconn » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:08 pm

Was the job interview itself on your birthday? No Were you given the plane ticket on your birthday? This is 2015. There are no physical plane tickets anymore. But... Did you learn you got the interview on your birthday? No
gregoryuconn

Postby GalFisk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:58 pm

Were you given a device which displayed your electronic tickets?
GalFisk

Postby gregoryuconn » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Were you given a device which displayed your electronic tickets? No, they gave me the "ticket"/airfare itself. You're overcomplicating things. In case you're curious, I used an electronic boarding pass on the way down with my own iPhone, but because US Airways didn't allow electronic checkin at Dulles Airport before they turned into American, I had to get a physical boarding pass at Dulles. But what they gave me is the "ticket"/airfare, and I had to take care of the boarding pass on my own. None of this is relevant except the first sentence.
gregoryuconn

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 am

I think I'm a little confused about where this puzzle needs to go next. You were given airfare to your job interview and wished a happy birthday, by someone at the company that was interviewing you. Are we trying to find out why they did so?

If so, is it because they felt generous? They wanted to impress you or otherwise make you amenable to a job offer? Did they do it for other interviewees?

If not, may we have a recap?
JenBurdoo

Postby gregoryuconn » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:23 am

I think I'm a little confused about where this puzzle needs to go next. You were given airfare to your job interview and wished a happy birthday, by someone at the company that was interviewing you. Are we trying to find out why they did so? Not really, just how they even knew it was my birthday. The answer should be obvious at this point, at least to anyone who has made flight reservations in this country since 9/11. I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long.

If so, is it because they felt generous? They wanted to impress you or otherwise make you amenable to a job offer? Did they do it for other interviewees? See above. Presumably they just thought it was a nice thing to do. Also, I don't know if there were any other interviwees at that point, and if there were it probably wasn't their birthday. If it was, they might know though, and if so would probably wish them a happy birthday too.

If not, may we have a recap? The company paid and arranged to fly my down for an interview. A couple weeks later, I actually flew down for the interview. A few days later, I was offered and accepted the job, though this part is not relevant - they could have decided not to make an offer or i could have declined, and this would still have worked.

The fact that they flew me down, as opposed to paying for my gas mileage or having me take Amtrak or something, is relevant. There may be a few other ways they could have paid for my transport that would have worked, I'm not sure, but in any case most other methods would not have resulted in them wishing me a happy birthday. This part is relevant and has apparently been overlooked.

At some point in this process, which you have yet to establish, an employee of the company wished me a happy birthday. They were probably just trying to be polite, seeing as it was, in fact my birthday, but I don't know their motivation since I'm not a mind reader so you don't need to worry about it. What you do need to figure out, and which should be obvious at this point, is how they knew it was my birthday that day in the first place. They did not see it on my resume or CV, first of all because my birthday is not on my resume (and I don't have a CV in the first place), and also for some other reason which you have yet to establish, which would likely have precluded that particular person from knowing that information from my resume/CV even if it were there.

Also, HINT: The fact that they arranged the flight, as opposed to just reimbursing me for it, is very much relevant.
gregoryuconn

Postby JenBurdoo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:23 pm

Did you need to give them identifying information, such as your birthday, so they could arrange the flight? Was it on the tickets or other documents they got for you? Or that you sent to them? Were you hiding your birthday from them? Was the person who arranged the flight separate from the person who read your resume and decided to interview you?
JenBurdoo

Postby gregoryuconn » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Did you need to give them identifying information, such as your birthday, so they could arrange the flight? Yes! Finally! Was it on the tickets or other documents they got for you? Or that you sent to them? Were you hiding your birthday from them? Was the person who arranged the flight separate from the person who read your resume and decided to interview you? And the rest of this is irrelevant. You've done enough.

***SPOILER***

Basically, they called me to ask for personal information like birthday and full name so they could get the plane tickets to fly me down for the interview the next week. It happened to be my birthday that day, so they wished me a happy birthday. But yes, it was a different person in a different department. Thanks for playing, new puzzle soon and check out others!
gregoryuconn

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles