[Balin] Escape the Billiard Room

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Escape the Billiard Room

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:48 pm

The last thing I remember was falling asleep in my own bed, yet somehow I awoke in a completely unfamiliar room with a pounding headache, not least because I woke up on the uncomfortable green felt of a pool table.

Sitting up and looking around, I can see a door in front of me, a couple cabinets in one corner, a fireplace – I think – off to my right, a tall cabinet or bookcase near a table behind me, and a tall plant that's shading the part of the table where my head is.

Also, this room is covered with a gaudy purple wallpaper. That doesn't help my headache.

I'm going to close my eyes for a moment until the headache passes. If you want me to look somewhere in particular in this room, let me know...
Balin

Re: [Balin] Escape the Billiard Room

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Always a great kind of puzzle...

Ok so you are lying on a billiard table. Does it appear to be a regular one of these? Or some kind of table made to look like a billiard table? Do you see billiard balls, cue sticks or any other pool/billiard paraphernalia on the table or anywhere else around you?
Feel the surface of the table, does it feel like felt?
Does this table have 6 holes like a pool table normally would? More or less holes?
If it does have any holes, feel inside each of them and see if you find anything.
Climb down off the table and check around the sides of it. Any drawers, compartments, etc?
Is there a ball return slot? If so, feel around inside it and see if there is anything in there.
Can the table be moved by pushing against it? If not, does it seem too heavy? Is it secured to the floor somehow?
Is there anything above the table? Hanging from the ceiling maybe? How high is the ceiling? Can you stand on the table and get access to anything above it? A light fixture maybe? Or is the ceiling too high to reach even when you stand on the table? Will the table even support you standing on it? I'm assuming it will since you're lying on it and it hasn't collapsed...yet.
CoffeeBean

Postby Grip » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:58 pm

So, we need to get "you" out? is your background relevant?

is the door locked? the cabinets? the tall cabinet?

is the plant real or fake?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:13 pm

Is the fireplace really a fireplace? If so: fake? Real? Does it have a chimney? If so: person-sized? Child-sized? Smaller? Does it have firewood? Coals? Ashes? Matches or other firestarting equipment?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:22 pm

Always a great kind of puzzle... Haven't run one of these in a while. Hope you enjoy!

Ok so you are lying on a billiard table. Does it appear to be a regular one of these? Or some kind of table made to look like a billiard table? It is an ordinary billiard table, covered in felt, with six pockets.
Do you see billiard balls, cue sticks or any other pool/billiard paraphernalia on the table or anywhere else around you? There is what looks like a billiard ball near my right foot. Sitting up, I can confirm it is a billiard ball, the purple 4. I also see the cue stick, resting on two hooks just to my left, underneath a picture.
Feel the surface of the table, does it feel like felt? Yes, and I presume it is felt.
Does this table have 6 holes like a pool table normally would? More or less holes? It does have six holes, but this must be an older-style billiard table. The six pockets are nets hanging outside the actual table.
If it does have any holes, feel inside each of them and see if you find anything. Since the pockets are nets, I can see that they're all empty, but just to confirm, I feel inside them. Nothing.
Climb down off the table and check around the sides of it. Any drawers, compartments, etc? No, there's no secret compartment in the table. However, there is a locked metal toolbox under the table.
Is there a ball return slot? If so, feel around inside it and see if there is anything in there. There's no slot because the pockets are nets.
Can the table be moved by pushing against it? If not, does it seem too heavy? Is it secured to the floor somehow? I try to move it, but the table is too heavy to push.
Is there anything above the table? There is a picture attached to the wall above the table. It appears to be attached by two ropes tied around nails in the wall. Hanging from the ceiling maybe? Looking up, I see a chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Oddly, it's not in the center of the room – it's off to one side. How high is the ceiling? I'm not good at guessing heights – maybe 10 feet? 12 feet? Can you stand on the table and get access to anything above it? There's nothing above the table I really need to access. Well, I can get at the nails that the picture is tied to, but they've been hammered tightly into the wall. A light fixture maybe? I can't reach the chandelier from here since it's not on this side of the room. Though now that you mention it, the chandelier isn't lighting up the room. Its four light bulbs are unlit. Or is the ceiling too high to reach even when you stand on the table? I can touch the ceiling if I jump a little while standing on the table. Will the table even support you standing on it? I'm assuming it will since you're lying on it and it hasn't collapsed...yet. It does support my weight.

So, we need to get "you" out? That would be an admirable goal. is your background relevant? As far as I know, I'm just an average person, so... no, I guess.

is the door locked? I try the knob – nothing. the cabinets? I said "cabinets," but – they're on the same wall as the door, by the way – only one of them is actually a cabinet. The small cabinet is bright pink, about halfway up the wall, and locked. The other one is actually a chest of three drawers. It's also locked, and there's a red light in one corner of the chest. the tall cabinet? Standing up and looking at it, the tall cabinet is indeed a bookcase with four shelves. Looking through the glass door, I can see that there are only a few books on two of the shelves, the top, and the third from the top. Oddly, there is a toaster on the second shelf and a wicker basket on the bottom shelf. Also, I don't know if it's locked because I can't try to open it. The door handle is missing.

is the plant real or fake? It is a tall, thin tree, and is real. Actually, it looks like the dirt in the plant pot has been disturbed in one area, but the dirt is too hard for me to dig with my hands.

Is the fireplace really a fireplace? Yes it is. I couldn't tell because there is a large metal cover blocking me from accessing inside it. There are also six round holes in the stone mantel, above the metal cover. If so: fake? Real? My best guess is that it's real. Does it have a chimney? If there is, someone wallpapered over it. I can't tell. There's also a locked cabinet over the fireplace. This one has glass doors – I can see an axe resting inside it – but requires a six-digit combination. If so: person-sized? Child-sized? Smaller?
Does it have firewood? Coals? Ashes? Matches or other firestarting equipment? There's nothing like this next to the fireplace, and obviously I can't see inside it.

Now that I'm on my feet, I'm going to look around the room and describe it in as much detail as I can.

Facing the wall where I woke up:
The billiard table is pretty much centered in the room, and there's just the single billiard ball on it.
Above it is the picture and the cue stick on hooks, below it is the toolbox.
To the table's left is the tall tree in a plant pot.
To the table's right is a small vent attached with screws.

Turning one wall to the right:
On the left side of the wall is the locked door. Just to the right of the door, the wallpaper is slightly peeling.
Centered on this wall is the locked chest of drawers.
Just to the right of that is the locked pink cabinet.
Above the pink cabinet is a small barred window, with a blue light next to it.
Just below the pink cabinet are two round holes, smaller than those in the mantel. The left hole has a red dot below it; the right hole has a yellow dot.

Turning one wall right again:
In the center of this wall is the fireplace; above it is the locked cabinet containing an axe. There are two yellow post-it notes attached to the locked cabinet; they say "sum 4" and "LIBEL."
To the left of the fireplace, about halfway up the wall, is a safe. The safe is locked with a five-digit combination. There is a pink post-it note attached to the safe reading "alph. order."
Above and to the left of the safe is a smoke alarm. That's encouraging. The alarm's green light is showing, so it should be working.
To the right of the fireplace is a small nightstand with a single locked drawer. The nightstand itself is screwed to the wall. On the floor to the right of the nightstand is another billiard ball, this time the yellow 1.

Turning right one more time and facing the last wall:
On the left of this wall is the bookcase. There is a small picture hanging high on the wall above and to the left of the bookcase.
In the center of the wall is a gray shelf and a locked drawer. There is a small piece of paper on the shelf; it says "12 resets."
The chandelier is hanging above the gray shelf.
On the right of this wall is a wooden table covered with a tablecloth.
Above the table and to the right of the chandelier is a clock. However, this clock only has one hand, a minute hand, and it's pointing at 12. Below the clock are three buttons, from left to right red, yellow, and blue.

That is everything I can see in this room right now.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:46 pm

See if you can remove the cue stick from the hooks. This could serve as a useful tool.

Is there just one picture hanging on the wall? Hanging by ropes attached to nails? What is the picture of? Can you move the picture away from the wall?

You say the bulbs of the chandelier aren't lit. Do you see a light switch on any of the walls? If you see one, try switching it to the opposite position of its current one. See if the chandelier lights up, and if anything else changes in the room.
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:05 pm

See if you can remove the cue stick from the hooks. This could serve as a useful tool. I can remove the stick easily.

Is there just one picture hanging on the wall? There are two pictures; the one over the billiard table, and a small one high up to the left of the bookcase. Hanging by ropes attached to nails? The one over the billiard table is, yes. I don't know how the other one is attached. What is the picture of? The one over the billiard table is of a duck, or swan, or some other white bird; I can't tell them apart. The one by the bookcase is a basic landscape. Can you move the picture away from the wall? I try moving the one over the billiard table, but it's fixed too tightly. I can't reach the one by the bookcase.

You say the bulbs of the chandelier aren't lit. Do you see a light switch on any of the walls? If you see one, try switching it to the opposite position of its current one. See if the chandelier lights up, and if anything else changes in the room. At first glance, I don't see any light switches, but I'll keep an eye out for any.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Can you use the pool cue stick to loosen the dirt in the plant?
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:59 pm

Can you use the pool cue stick to loosen the dirt in the plant? No, for that I'll need a trowel or something else I can dig with.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:13 pm

Ok so the wallpaper is peeling. Does it look like you could pull some or all of it off the wall? Try this and see what happens.

Is the hole with the yellow dot next to it the same diameter as the yellow ball that you found? Does it look like the ball will fit into this hole? If so, try it.

How big is the table that is covered with the tablecloth? Can you move the table? Lift it? Slide it?
Can you remove the tablecloth? If so, do it. See if there are any objects on the table beneath the cloth.
Then examine the underside of the tablecloth. Do you see any writing, symbols or other markings anywhere on it?
How big is the tablecloth? What is it made of? Can you rip or tear it if you wanted to?
Are there any parts of the table that seem to be unusual (hollow, made of a different material, etc)? Is the table on legs or a pedestal? Will the legs/pedestal come off? Is there anything on the floor underneath this table?

Lastly, you said there is a toolbox underneath the pool table. Can you pick this toolbox up? Does it appear to need a key to be opened?
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:00 pm

Ok so the wallpaper is peeling. Does it look like you could pull some or all of it off the wall? Try this and see what happens. I try, and I think I see something written under the wallpaper, but if I try to peel this by hand it will tear and I won't be able to see the writing. I'll need a blade of some sort to scrape it off.

Is the hole with the yellow dot next to it the same diameter as the yellow ball that you found? Does it look like the ball will fit into this hole? If so, try it. No, the yellow ball is too big to fit into this particular hole.

How big is the table that is covered with the tablecloth? About half the length of the billiard table, and about the same height. Can you move the table? Lift it? Slide it? It's too heavy for me to move.
Can you remove the tablecloth? If so, do it. Done. See if there are any objects on the table beneath the cloth. On the wall behind the table is a locked safe – I don't see any obvious unlocking mechanism – and a light switch.
Then examine the underside of the tablecloth. Do you see any writing, symbols or other markings anywhere on it? There's nothing written on the tablecloth.
How big is the tablecloth? About four or five times as big as the surface of the table. What is it made of? I'm not really sure, but it's not silk or any ornate cloth. Can you rip or tear it if you wanted to? The cloth seems resistant to my attempts to rip it, so I'm just going to leave it on the ground by the table for now.
Are there any parts of the table that seem to be unusual (hollow, made of a different material, etc)? No, the table looks normal. Is the table on legs or a pedestal? Legs. Will the legs/pedestal come off? I can't lift the table, so I'd assume not. Is there anything on the floor underneath this table? Only the tablecloth now that I've dropped it there.

Lastly, you said there is a toolbox underneath the pool table. Can you pick this toolbox up? It's surprisingly heavy – I can lift it, but only for a couple seconds. Does it appear to need a key to be opened? Yes.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:03 pm

There sure are a lot of things in this room that are going to need keys or combinations to open, we'll need a bunch of "keys" in one form or another.

Try moving the switch that you just located. Does anything happen?
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:06 pm

There sure are a lot of things in this room that are going to need keys or combinations to open, we'll need a bunch of "keys" in one form or another. Certainly looks that way.

Try moving the switch that you just located. Does anything happen? Yes – one of the light bulbs on the chandelier has lit up. Just one, though.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:08 pm

Ok, so how many bulbs are there in total on the chandelier? And does the light from this bulb reveal anything previously unseen in the room? Can you look at the lit bulb? Does it have any markings or writing on it?
CoffeeBean

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:13 pm

Can you move the clock hand? If yes, try a complete round clockwise and underclockwise. Pay attention to noises, like clicks, and if something happens.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:17 pm

Ok, so how many bulbs are there in total on the chandelier? There are four. And does the light from this bulb reveal anything previously unseen in the room? No. Can you look at the lit bulb? I can stand on the table to get a better view, but not a great view. Does it have any markings or writing on it? It doesn't look like it does.

Can you move the clock hand? I can reach the clock hand by standing on the table, and yes, it moves. (From here, I still can't reach the small picture, since the bookcase is in the way.) If yes, try a complete round clockwise and underclockwise. The clock hand only turns clockwise. Pay attention to noises, like clicks, and if something happens. The clock hand clicks when it makes it back around to 12, but that was the only noise I heard from it.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:22 pm

I wonder if the "12 resets" is related to the clock. Spin the clock hand 11 more times (which would total 12) and see if anything happens.
If you don't move the hand on the clock, does it seem to move on its own?
Can you describe the size, shape and features of the clock?
CoffeeBean

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:22 pm

73817 relevant?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:44 pm

I wonder if the "12 resets" is related to the clock. Spin the clock hand 11 more times (which would total 12) and see if anything happens. Nothing.
If you don't move the hand on the clock, does it seem to move on its own? No; I've waited a few minutes and the clock hand is still stationary.
Can you describe the size, shape and features of the clock? It's an ordinary analog clock, marked with numbers from 1 to 12.

73817 relevant? It doesn't work as a combination for the safe by the fireplace, but I like that thought. I'm going to keep it in mind.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:28 pm

Can you try 77138 on the 5-digit lock? or 81773?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:45 pm

Can you try 77138 on the 5-digit lock? or 81773? Those don't work either.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:31 pm

Do the balls fit in the holes over the fireplace?

And...can you press the buttons under the clock? If yes, do it.... any sound or something happening?

BTW....can you reach all objects (maybe by using the table/billard tabel and/or cue)?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:39 am

Do the balls fit in the holes over the fireplace? I insert one of them partway to check – it looks like the billiard balls will indeed fit in these holes, but I won't be able to remove them once I do put them in.

And...can you press the buttons under the clock? I try the blue first – nope. Then yellow doesn't work either, but the red one does, and stays pushed in. Trying again, I can now push in the yellow button, then the blue. So I can push the buttons, but only in the order red-yellow-blue. Now if I can only get them un-pushed... If yes, do it.... any sound or something happening? Each of the buttons made a soft click as I pushed them, but I didn't hear or see anything else happen.

BTW....can you reach all objects (maybe by using the table/billard tabel and/or cue)? The only object I can't reach is the small picture by the bookcase, but I think I should be able to reach it using the cue stick.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:15 am

Try spinning the clock hand again till it reaches 12. Does it reset the buttons?
Try this; move the clock hand till it reaches 3, then push the red button; then move the hand to 6 and push yellow; then to 4 and push blue.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:49 pm

Try spinning the clock hand again till it reaches 12. Does it reset the buttons? It does.
Try this; move the clock hand till it reaches 3, then push the red button; then move the hand to 6 and push yellow; then to 4 and push blue. I try this, but the clock hand only spins clockwise; once the clock hand hits 12 after I've pushed yellow, it resets all of them.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:18 pm

Ok. Then my guess with the clock is find somewhere three numbers (range 1-11) then put the clock hand on the lowest, push red, then put the hand on the middle, push yellow, then put the end on the higher and push blue. Makes sense?
Examine the bookcase: is there a locking mechanism? Any unlocking one? Does it have no handle at all, or the handle should be there and is missing? Is there a hole for a key or for the missing handle?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:48 pm

Ok. Then my guess with the clock is find somewhere three numbers (range 1-11) then put the clock hand on the lowest, push red, then put the hand on the middle, push yellow, then put the end on the higher and push blue. Makes sense? That makes perfect sense. Since I don't see any such numbers now, I'm going to leave the clock for the moment.
Examine the bookcase: is there a locking mechanism? Any unlocking one? I don't see anything that looks like a lock, just a hole where the handle should be. Does it have no handle at all, or the handle should be there and is missing? The latter. Is there a hole for a key or for the missing handle? Yes, there's a hole for a handle.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:05 pm

Anything in the room that may work as the missing handle?

Btw....what objects do we have that we can use? Just the cue, two balls and the table cloth?

Examine the small vent next the billard: any way to open it (pull/push/use the cue)? to unscrew it? can you see into it?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:28 am

Anything in the room that may work as the missing handle? Not that I can see at the moment.

Btw....what objects do we have that we can use? Just the cue, two balls and the table cloth? That's everything right now.

Examine the small vent next the billard: any way to open it (pull/push/use the cue)? The cover is actually hinged, and I can swing it up once I remove the screws. to unscrew it? A standard flat-head screwdriver should do the job. can you see into it? The gaps in the vent are very thing, so it's hard to make anything out, but I think something is glinting in there.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:09 am

Can you examine all locked objects (cabinets/chests/doors....) and for each one see if there is an unlocking device (i.e. if we need a key or something else)?
Can you move the plant pot?
Can you see through the small barred window?
Also, examine the smoke alarm.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:20 pm

Can you examine all locked objects (cabinets/chests/doors....) and for each one see if there is an unlocking device (i.e. if we need a key or something else)? After a quick examination:
-The chest of drawers has a small electronic sensor below the red light.
-The bookcase does not have a lock; it just needs a handle.
-The safe under the table has no visible locking mechanism.
-The safe by the fireplace needs a five-digit code.
-The cabinet over the fireplace needs a six-digit code.
-Everything else (pink cabinet, door, toolbox, nightstand drawer by fireplace) needs a key.

Can you move the plant pot? No, it's too heavy.
Can you see through the small barred window? It looks like there's something inside it – I think I saw a glint – but it's too dark to make anything out for certain.
Also, examine the smoke alarm. It's an ordinary smoke alarm. The green light on it makes me confident that it is working.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:52 pm

I think I'm missing something.....did you closely examine everything?
Can you try 73817 and 73821 on the safe? (I'm pretty sure it won't work)
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:57 pm

I think I'm missing something.....did you closely examine everything? Yes. And I can reach everything either from the floor or by standing on the tables. Well, everything but the small picture by the bookcase, but I should be able to reach that with the cue. I haven't tried that yet though.
Can you try 73817 and 73821 on the safe? (I'm pretty sure it won't work) Neither work.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:01 pm

Ok, then let's try to move the small picture with the cue. Can you see behind it? Can you make it fall?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:09 pm

Ok, then let's try to move the small picture with the cue. Can you see behind it? Can you make it fall? I'm able to use the cue to knock the small picture off the wall. I turn it over after it hits the floor – there is a small key stuck to the back of the frame.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:48 pm

That's it!!!
Can you unstuck the key? If yes, try it with all objects with a keyhole.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:03 pm

That's it!!!
Can you unstuck the key? Yes, I am able to cleanly remove the key. If yes, try it with all objects with a keyhole. The key fits in the toolbox lock. I open the toolbox; inside is a remote control and a yellow post-it note reading "BOIL."
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:25 am

Examine the remote control: which buttons are there? If there is an "unlock" or "open" button, try it with the small electronic sensor below the red light.

Take note of the number 7108.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:20 pm

Examine the remote control: which buttons are there? There's only one button. If there is an "unlock" or "open" button, try it with the small electronic sensor below the red light. I point it at the sensor and the drawers slide open.
Inside the top drawer is something with a yellow handle – it's a flat-head screwdriver.
In the middle drawer is an ordinary spoon.
In the bottom drawer is another billiard ball, the maroon 7.

Take note of the number 7108. Noted.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:37 pm

Can you now remove the screws from the small vent next the billard? Any other object with screws that can be removed?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:03 am

Can you now remove the screws from the small vent next the billard? I unscrew the vent and flip up the cover; inside is a gold key and another light switch.
Any other object with screws that can be removed? Yes; the nightstand is screwed to the wall. I remove the screws and slide the nightstand aside; behind it is a small hole in the wall containing yet another light switch.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:24 am

Good! Turn the swithches on (one by one) and see what happens.
Then try the key with the remaining locked objects.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:53 pm

Good! Turn the switches on (one by one) and see what happens. I turn on the switches in the vent and behind the nightstand, and two more light bulbs on the chandelier turn on. There is only one that is off right now.
Then try the key with the remaining locked objects. The gold key actually fits in the door. I turn the knob and open the door, but to my surprise, this is not the exit. This is actually a small bathroom.
Inside this bathroom is a ceramic toilet. Above the toilet is another small picture, this one of blue flowers. It is attached to the wall with two cross-head screws. To the right of the picture is a light switch.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:56 pm

That's the fourth switch, right? turn it on and see if now the chandelier is fully lit.
Examine the toilet closely.
The screwdriver can't be used on this picture, right?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:05 pm

That's the fourth switch, right? turn it on and see if now the chandelier is fully lit. It is, and just below it, the drawer underneath the gray shelf is now open. Inside is a cross-head screwdriver with a red handle.
Examine the toilet closely. It looks like an ordinary toilet. But when I open the lid, I see that the toilet appears to be clogged. In fact, a note dropped out from under the lid when I opened it – the note says "net unclog." I also try jiggling the flush handle, but it does not flush. The handle seems very loose.
The screwdriver can't be used on this picture, right? Not the flat-head screwdriver, no.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:21 pm

Can you use the red handled screwdriver to removed the picture in the bathroom?
Also, can you remove the lid from the back of the toilet to see what is inside?
CoffeeBean

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:31 pm

Is there water in the toilet? Can you see what is causing the clog? can you reach for it?
Can you fix the handle? If not, can you remove it?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:07 am

Can you use the red handled screwdriver to removed the picture in the bathroom? I can and I do. The picture drops behind the toilet, revealing a small hole in the wall containing the red 3 billiard ball.
Also, can you remove the lid from the back of the toilet to see what is inside? There is nothing inside the toilet tank.

Is there water in the toilet? There is. Can you see what is causing the clog? There's something dark jammed down in the pipe. can you reach for it? Um... I don't know what that is, but if it's what I'm worried it is, I don't want to reach for it.
Can you fix the handle? I don't know how to fix it. If not, can you remove it? I am, however, able to use the flat-head screwdriver to remove the flush handle.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:05 am

Examine the handle. Anything written on it? Anything unusual with its size or shape? Can it be used as a key to open what's left? Can it be used as a shovel with the vase?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:47 pm

Examine the handle. It's an ordinary toilet flush handle. Anything written on it? No. Anything unusual with its size or shape? No. Can it be used as a key to open what's left? As a key? I don't see how it could be used as a key. Can it be used as a shovel with the vase? No, but I remember having seen something else in this room recently that would work better. What was it...
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:27 pm

...the spoon, of course! Go for it and dig!
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:33 pm

...the spoon, of course! Go for it and dig! Using the spoon, I dig up the disturbed dirt in the plant pot. Buried in the dirt is a silver key.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Try it with the nightstand or pink cabinet (are there other locked objects which need a key?)
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Try it with the nightstand or pink cabinet (are there other locked objects which need a key?) I think those are the only two; there's also the bookcase that is missing a handle.

Anyway, the key works in the pink cabinet. I open it, and inside there are six post-it notes. Five of them are pink, and each one has a word on it:
HONESTLY
MISEVENT
ZANINESS
FOOTWORK
HEIGHTEN
The other post-it note is yellow, and says "SEIZE."
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:02 pm

For the yellow post-it, take note of the number 32135, and store it with the other two.

The pink ones should be related to the other pink post-it saying "alph. order."...so
FOOTWORK
HEIGHTEN
HONESTLY
MISEVENT
ZANINESS

...and you're trying to suggest to try the toilette handle with the bookcase?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:59 am

For the yellow post-it, take note of the number 32135, and store it with the other two. They're stored in my mind.

The pink ones should be related to the other pink post-it saying "alph. order."...so
FOOTWORK
HEIGHTEN
HONESTLY
MISEVENT
ZANINESS
Yes, but what does that mean? The "alph. order" note is above the safe by the fireplace, so... I'm not sure.

...and you're trying to suggest to try the toilette handle with the bookcase? I'm not suggesting anything *puzzle creator whistles innocently*, but I'll give it a shot.
Surprisingly, the toilet flush handle fits into the hole in the bookcase. I turn the handle and it swings open.
As a reminder, there are a few books on the top shelf and the third shelf. On the second shelf is a toaster; on the bottom shelf is a wicker basket.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:33 am

Can you get all those items?
Examine the basket and the toaster, see if there is something inside.
Look at the books titles, anything interesting? Open one see what's about.
Also, shake the books to see if something falls down.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Can you get all those items? I try to pick up the toaster, but I can't. Upon closer examination it seems that the toaster is on a sliding rack, and I can only move it left and right. The same is true for the basket and the books – which are not individual books at all, but groups of books stuck together.
Examine the basket and the toaster, see if there is something inside. Nothing.
Look at the books titles, anything interesting? They're all punny fake titles and authors, such as "Making Your Way Through a Crowd" by Jocelyn Forpazishan. Open one see what's about. I cannot open them.
Also, shake the books to see if something falls down. I can't shake the individual books, but like the toaster and basket, I can move them left and right on their respective shelves.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:50 pm

So the bookshelf has 3 shelves? Or more?
One shelf has just the toaster on it? And the toaster can be moved from side to side along the shelf?
Same for the basket? And set of fake books?
How were these things positioned originally? Left, center or right portion of shelves?
As you slide these items, is anything revealed on the backboard of the unit? Or under the items?
Does the toaster function? Can you push the plunger level down?
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:03 pm

So the bookshelf has 3 shelves? Or more? It has four shelves.
One shelf has just the toaster on it? And the toaster can be moved from side to side along the shelf? Correct, that's the second shelf from the top.
Same for the basket? Yes, on the bottom shelf. And set of fake books? Yes, on the other two shelves.
How were these things positioned originally? Left, center or right portion of shelves?
Top books: right
Toaster: left
Bottom books: left
Basket: right

As you slide these items, is anything revealed on the backboard of the unit? Or under the items? Behind the top set of books is another yellow post-it note. This one says "OBOE." Behind the basket is the blue 2 billiard ball. There's nothing behind or under the other items.
Does the toaster function? Can you push the plunger level down? I try, but it pops back up. This toaster is either not working, not plugged in, or broken and unplugged.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Ok, so we got 5 yellow post-it notes: BOIL LIBEL SEIZE OBOE and "add 4".
That is the numbers: 7108 73817 32135 3080 and I think we have to add them four: 116140
Try 116140 on the 6-digits lock where the "add 4" post-it was found.

Can you recap which balls we got? And how many holes on the fireplace?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Ok, so we got 5 yellow post-it notes: BOIL LIBEL SEIZE OBOE and "add 4". That's correct.
That is the numbers: 7108 73817 32135 3080 Yes, these are the numbers you get when you flip those words upside-down. and I think we have to add them four: 116140
Try 116140 on the 6-digits lock where the "add 4" post-it was found. That would be the glass cabinet with the axe, above the fireplace. I input the code 116140 and the cabinet swings open!

Can you recap which balls we got? Yes:
Yellow 1 – beside the nightstand
Blue 2 – behind the basket in the bookcase
Red 3 – behind the picture in the bathroom
Purple 4 – on the pool table
Maroon 7 – in the bottom drawer of the chest

And how many holes on the fireplace? Six.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:25 pm

Great!
So...it seams we need another ball. Is there any other chest/cabinet to open?

Getting back to the wallpaper that's peeling, can you use the spoon or one of the screwdrivers to scrape it off?
Acridian9

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:09 pm

After re-reading the initial description I have another idea....the two round holes below the pink cabinet: are they the size of the screwdrivers? If yes, try inserting the red screwdriver in the hole with a red dot and the yellow screwdriver in the hole with a yellow dot.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:34 pm

Great!
So...it seams we need another ball. Is there any other chest/cabinet to open? The nightstand is still locked, as is the safe by the fireplace and the safe under the table.

Getting back to the wallpaper that's peeling, can you use the spoon or one of the screwdrivers to scrape it off? No; I'll need something that's more of a blade or a knife.

After re-reading the initial description I have another idea....the two round holes below the pink cabinet: are they the size of the screwdrivers? Actually, yes! I'll be able to insert the screwdrivers up to the handles, so I can probably remove them again if necessary. If yes, try inserting the red screwdriver in the hole with a red dot and the yellow screwdriver in the hole with a yellow dot. I insert both screwdrivers; the blue light turns off and the bars on the window above the pink cabinet slide up, revealing a lighter behind them.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:04 am

Take the lighter and examine it. Is it working? If yes, light it up and put it under the smoke allarm. Go as near as you can.
Also, examine the small window, now and after getting back the screwdrivers and putting them in again.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Take the lighter and examine it. Is it working? If yes, light it up and put it under the smoke alarm. Go as near as you can. The flame isn't enough to set off the alarm. Apparently it's not producing enough smoke.
Also, examine the small window, now and after getting back the screwdrivers and putting them in again. I take the screwdrivers back out and the bars lower. I put them back in; the bars raise again. Nothing else appears in the window.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:28 pm

Can you get the axe from the glass cabinet? Examine both the axe and the cabinet.

Do you think we can set something on fire (in order to get some smoke)? the towel? a piece of wood? maybe you can chop a table leg with the axe?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Can you get the axe from the glass cabinet? I can – the cabinet is open – so I do. Examine both the axe and the cabinet. The axe was resting on two nails stuck in the cabinet.

Do you think we can set something on fire (in order to get some smoke)? Yes, and we have a fireplace in which to do so safely – as long as we can remove that metal cover blocking it. the towel? What towel? a piece of wood? Possibly. maybe you can chop a table leg with the axe? I'd rather not put the pool table out of commission, as I've been standing on it to reach things.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Sorry, not towel....tablecloth.
What about the wooden table (the one that was covered with the tablecloth) or a chest/cabinet: can you chop them?

I'm guessing that inserting the balls in the holes over the fireplace will release the matal plate....of course we must find the correct order (maybe another pink post-it note?).

Can you use the axe on the wallpaper peeling?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:38 pm

Sorry, not towel....tablecloth. Maybe, but even if I did burn the cloth, I don't have anything to burn it in right now, as I can't currently put anything in the fireplace. But I'll look for something better to burn.
What about the wooden table (the one that was covered with the tablecloth) or a chest/cabinet: can you chop them? I've been using that table to stand on also, so I won't cut that. And I don't think cutting up the cabinets or drawers is a good idea.

I'm guessing that inserting the balls in the holes over the fireplace will release the metal plate....of course we must find the correct order (maybe another pink post-it note?). That's a good idea. The order should be somewhere around here...

Can you use the axe on the wallpaper peeling? No, the axe is far too bulky, heavy, and unwieldy to use for peeling wallpaper.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:39 pm

What about chopping the tree in the pot?
Acridian9

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:48 am

I think I got it:
FOOTWORK--->two
HEIGHTEN--->eight
HONESTLY--->one
MISEVENT--->seven
ZANINESS--->nine
Try 28179 on the safe where the "alph. order" post-it was.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:27 am

What about chopping the tree in the pot? That should work. I take the axe to the tree and it comes crashing onto the floor. I chop up the tree a little more and pick out an appropriately-sized log for eventual use in the fireplace.

I think I got it:
FOOTWORK--->two
HEIGHTEN--->eight
HONESTLY--->one
MISEVENT--->seven
ZANINESS--->nine
That makes sense – I hadn't noticed at first that the numbers are contained within the words.

Try 28179 on the safe where the "alph. order" post-it was. That combination works; the safe opens to reveal another silver key, this one with a slightly rounder handle.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:45 pm

Yes!!! (Zaniness put me on OTRT)

So this key should open the last locked object, right? What's inside?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:01 am

Yes!!! (Zaniness put me on OTRT)

So this key should open the last locked object, right? That's the nightstand drawer, and the key indeed opens it. What's inside? A pair of scissors.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:39 am

Look at the scissors: is their blade enough to scrape the wallpaper off?

Could you recap what items we have not used yet?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:29 pm

Look at the scissors: is their blade enough to scrape the wallpaper off? By opening the scissors, I can scrape away the wallpaper. Underneath, six digits are written on the wall: 384271.

Could you recap what items we have not used yet? Yes. I'll recap my current inventory, along with what I've notice from around the room.

In my inventory I currently have:
-five billiard balls (yellow 1, blue 2, red 3, purple 4, maroon 7). I've figured out that they fit in the holes in the fireplace mantel, but I've been looking for the order.
-cue stick (used to knock down the small picture)
-remote (used to open the chest of drawers)
-spoon (used to dig up the plant pot)
-lighter (unused; I've decided I'm probably going to burn something in the fireplace with this)
-axe (used to cut down the tree)
-log (unused; this is what I'm looking to burn in the fireplace)
-scissors (used to peel wallpaper)

Other items I have had but am not currently holding:
-four keys (used to unlock everything unlockable in the room; I left the keys in the locks)
-flat-head screwdriver (used to unscrew the vent, unscrew the nightstand, remove the toilet handle, and open the barred window; I left it in the hole under the pink cabinet)
-cross-head screwdriver (used to unscrew the picture in the bathroom and open the barred window; I also left it in the hole under the pink cabinet)
-toilet handle (used as a handle for the bookcase; it's still in the bookcase door)

Oh, and there's also that tablecloth I left on the floor under the wooden table.

Around the room, here's the things that are unchanged:
-I haven't done anything with the billiard table, and the big picture is still hanging above it.
-The toilet is still clogged.
-The fireplace is still blocked by a metal cover.
-I haven't done anything with the wooden table. The safe under the table is still closed – I still don't know how it unlocks – and I haven't figured out the clock and buttons above it.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:05 pm

384271....I'm gussing this is the order of balls in the fireplace's holes. That means we still have to get the 8 ball.

How about using the axe on the big picture hanging above the billiard table? Can you cut the two ropes?

Can you use the axe to unclog the toilet?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:59 pm

384271....I'm guessing this is the order of balls in the fireplace's holes. That means we still have to get the 8 ball. Well, we'll know for sure once we find it.

How about using the axe on the big picture hanging above the billiard table? Can you cut the two ropes? The axe is a little too unwieldy to cut the ropes. I'd probably just damage the picture.

Can you use the axe to unclog the toilet? No, the note by the toilet said I need a net to unclog it.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:19 pm

Can you use the scissors to cut the ropes?
Can you use them to cut the tablecloth into strips?
CoffeeBean

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Ops, forgot about that note. So, take one of the nets of the billiard ball. If you can't remove one (maybe with a screwdriver?), try cutting it with the axe or scissors.
As you are there, try to cut the ropes of the picture with the scissors too.
Acridian9

Postby jumpingjacks » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:55 pm

Phew, finally got round to catching up with this!

Take the scissors and cut off the nets from the billiard table. Can you attach one of them to the cue and use it to fish out whatever is clogging the toilet?
jumpingjacks

Postby Balin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:11 pm

Can you use the scissors to cut the ropes? The ropes hanging the picture? Yes I can. I cut the ropes and the picture falls to the ground. On the wall behind the picture are three Roman numerals, patterned as follows:

II
___ VII
_________ X

If you see white underscores, those are only for formatting, since the site doesn't let you put multiple spaces in a row. There are no horizontal lines on the wall.

Can you use them to cut the tablecloth into strips? The tablecloth is very thick; I'd rather not cut it up.

Ops, forgot about that note. So, take one of the nets of the billiard ball. If you can't remove one (maybe with a screwdriver?), try cutting it with the axe or scissors. The back-right pocket on the pool table seems loose enough. Working at it with the scissors, I'm able to cut the pocket free.
As you are there, try to cut the ropes of the picture with the scissors too. That worked; see above.

Phew, finally got round to catching up with this! Welcome!

Take the scissors and cut off the nets from the billiard table. Can you attach one of them to the cue and use it to fish out whatever is clogging the toilet? Yes, I can use some of the looser cords of the net to tie it to the cue stick. Now that I have a long net, I'll try and get that – whatever it is – out of the toilet.
It took a little while, but I was able to scoop out the item. It's the black 8 ball.
Since the net is sopping wet, I'm just going to leave it up against the wall for now.
Balin

Postby biograd » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:36 pm

So, try putting the balls into the holes in the mantel in the order 3,8,4,2,7,1. Note if the metal cover comes loose.
biograd

Postby Balin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:08 pm

So, try putting the balls into the holes in the mantel in the order 3,8,4,2,7,1. Note if the metal cover comes loose. I put the billiard balls in the holes in that order, and the metal cover lowers into the floor. I can now access inside the fireplace.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:15 pm

Do you see anything inside the fireplace? Any firewood in there?
If not, can anything in the room be cut up with the axe to make firewood?
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Do you see anything inside the fireplace? Any firewood in there? Right now, the fireplace is empty.
If not, can anything in the room be cut up with the axe to make firewood? I already cut up the tree and took a good-sized log from that.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:27 pm

After putting the log into the fireplace, let's go to the clock (it has roman numerals, I hope).
Place the hand on II and press the first button. Then place the hand on VII and press the second button. Finally, place the hand on X and press the last button.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:35 am

After putting the log into the fireplace, Done.
let's go to the clock (it has roman numerals, I hope). It has Arabic digits, not Roman numerals, but I'll try this anyway.
Place the hand on II and press the first button. Then place the hand on VII and press the second button. Finally, place the hand on X and press the last button. I did this – pushed the red button with the hand at 2, the yellow at 7, and the blue at 10 – and the clock hand snapped back to 12, and I heard something creak below me. Looking under the wooden table (I had stood on it to reach the clock), I see that the safe there has swung open, revealing an oil can.
Balin

Postby jumpingjacks » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:43 am

Use the lighter to set the log in the fireplace alight! Does anything happen to the fire alarm?

Take the oil can and examine it more closely. Does it have oil in it? What kind of oil do you think it is?
jumpingjacks

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:14 am

Use the lighter to set the log in the fireplace alight! I try, but the log won't catch fire. I feel the log – it's not dry enough to catch fire without some sort of accelerant. Does anything happen to the fire alarm?

Take the oil can and examine it more closely. It's a metal oil can with a spout. Does it have oil in it? It feels heavy enough to. I shake it – yep, there's definitely liquid in it. I don't want to touch it, though. What kind of oil do you think it is? I don't know.
Balin

Postby jumpingjacks » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:18 am

Pour the oil on the log and try to light it again.
jumpingjacks

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:22 am

Pour the oil on the log I've emptied the oil can over the log and put the empty can down next to me.
and try to light it again. I carefully hold the lighter up to the oily log and it catches fire quickly. However, not only does the fire start burning very hot – the heat actually caused a hole to melt in the empty can; I won't be able to use that again – but the room also starts filling with very thick smoke, preventing me from seeing clearly. I drop to the floor; the smoke is rising, but the burning log keeps billowing out more smoke, and I can only see things on or close to the ground.
I can also hear the smoke alarm beeping.
Balin

Postby jumpingjacks » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:25 am

Probably not the best idea to do that when you're trapped in a locked room, but oh well... :D
Can you put the fireplace cover on again?
jumpingjacks

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:29 am

Probably not the best idea to do that when you're trapped in a locked room, but oh well... :D Yeah, that could have gone a lot better.
Can you put the fireplace cover on again? It lowered into the floor and there's no way for me to remove the billiard balls from the mantel.
Balin

Postby jumpingjacks » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:35 am

Oh dear. I hope you're ok. Can you breathe alright for now?
Look up at the smoke alarm - can you see the light on it? I believe it used to be green. What colour is it now?
I know you can't see very much, but is there anything around or near the floor that you can see? Any markings carved into the floor, perhaps? Or anything interesting about the floor at all?
jumpingjacks

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:44 am

Oh dear. I hope you're ok. Can you breathe alright for now? I should be OK as long as I stay low to the floor.
Look up at the smoke alarm - can you see the light on it? I believe it used to be green. What colour is it now? It's hard to see through the smoke, but I think the light has turned red.
I know you can't see very much, but is there anything around or near the floor that you can see? Any markings carved into the floor, perhaps? Or anything interesting about the floor at all? Looking around the room, here's everything I can see clearly (or at least semi-clearly):
-Facing the fireplace, I can see the burning log, the bottom of the nightstand, and the light switch that was behind the nightstand.
-Facing the bookcase, I can see the fallen small picture, the bottom of the bookcase, the wooden table legs, and the tablecloth.
-Facing the pool table, I can see the plant pot, the remains of the tree I cut down, the pool table legs, the open toolbox, the painting that had been held up by ropes, and the open vent.
-Facing the bathroom, I can see the bottom of the makeshift net (which has been dripping water), the bottom of the toilet, and the bottom of the chest of drawers.
There's nothing interesting about the floor itself.
Balin

Postby jumpingjacks » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:51 am

Can you smother the fire with the tablecloth?
jumpingjacks

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Can you smother the fire with the tablecloth? I like that idea, but I don't know if the tablecloth would go up in flames since I never tested its flammability. I do take the tablecloth – maybe I'll finally get to use this thing if I can make sure it won't catch fire.
Balin

Postby jumpingjacks » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:58 pm

Take the tablecloth into the bathroom with you and use the lighter to test its flammability. If the tablecloth does end up bursting into flame, you can always dunk it in the toilet to put it out.
jumpingjacks

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:02 pm

You shouldn't need to light the tablecloth now. Can you use the axe to break the window? This would let smoke escape.
CoffeeBean

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:06 pm

Can you soak the tablecloth with water?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:01 pm

You shouldn't need to light the tablecloth now. Can you use the axe to break the window? This would let smoke escape. The barred window? Smoke isn't exiting there, making me think it wasn't a window at all, but a compartment holding the lighter.

Take the tablecloth into the bathroom with you and use the lighter to test its flammability. I don't want to add to the fire, but... If the tablecloth does end up bursting into flame, you can always dunk it in the toilet to put it out.

Can you soak the tablecloth with water? ...I dunk the tablecloth in the toilet, soaking it thoroughly.
Balin

Postby jumpingjacks » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:23 pm

How foolish I have been! =D Use the wet tablecloth to smother the fire.
jumpingjacks

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:04 am

How foolish I have been! =D Use the wet tablecloth to smother the fire. I throw the wet tablecloth over the burning log and am able to put out the fire. The smoke gets slowly sucked out of the room through hidden vents in the ceiling I hadn't seen before.
The smoke alarm light is still red, and underneath it, a small panel opened up in the back of the open safe. It holds only a paper that says "X marks spot."
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:18 am

Can you examine the X on the wall under the painting?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:28 pm

Can you examine the X on the wall under the painting? It's the only X in the room. I tap on the wall – it seems hollow.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Tap on the wall around the X nd try to figure out the extention of the hollow wall. Try also to tap on other walls.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:14 pm

Tap on the wall around the X and try to figure out the extention of the hollow wall. Try also to tap on other walls. Tapping around, I'd estimate that there is about a three- to four-foot square-ish section of the wall, with the X at the center, that is hollow. The rest of that wall feels much thicker, as do the other walls in the room.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Hit the X with the axe.
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:37 pm

Hit the X with the axe. Standing on the billiard table, I swing the axe hard at the X, causing a large crack to form in the hollow part of the wall.

Encouraged, I hack at the wall again. The crack widens, and a small part of the wall crumbles away.

I swing the axe one more time, and the hollow wall shatters, revealing the outside.

I jump through the wall and start running.

****SPOILER****

Well done everyone – CoffeeBean, Grip, Acridian, and Jackie – who participated and pushed through this room to the end!

I originally created this room using the Dr. Fou Room Escape Maker. Now that you've finished it on the forum, play it there: http://doctorfou.com/room-escape-maker/u/Pharos/Pharos4. After all, you already know how to escape....
Balin

Re: [Balin] (*SOLVED*) Escape the Billiard Room

Postby Grip » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Good stuff! Wish I had worked on more of this, but I lost track and fell way behind.
Grip

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles