[vever] Out of sight

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[vever] Out of sight

Postby vever » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 am

I'm very near sighted. Sometimes, just before I go to work, I put on glasses. As soon as I arrive at work, I take them off. Sometimes, I put on glasses first thing in the morning, and wear them all day at work. How come?
Last edited by vever on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
vever

Re: [vever] Out of sight

Postby peter365 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:01 am

Hi Vever

Are the glasses in both scenarios the same? Are they to correct your nearsightedness? Is there a safety consideration?

Any external factors at work here? the weather?

Is the nature of your job relevant? Do you work indoors? Would wearing your glasses on some days inhibit your ability to do your job?
peter365

Postby vever » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 pm

peter365 wrote:Hi Vever

Are the glasses in both scenarios the same? No Are they to correct your nearsightedness? Yes Is there a safety consideration? No

Any external factors at work here? the weather? No and no

Is the nature of your job relevant? In a way, yes Do you work indoors? Yes Would wearing your glasses on some days inhibit your ability to do your job? No, but OTRT
vever

Postby GalFisk » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:37 pm

Do you use any relevant optical devices at work? Such as other glasses? Microscopes? VR gear? Do you use your nearsightedness as an asset at work? Such as looking at stuff up close? Calibrating or testing optical devices?
GalFisk

Postby vever » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:05 pm

GalFisk wrote:Do you use any relevant optical devices at work? Such as other glasses? Microscopes? VR gear? Sometimes, but the glasses would not prevent that, really Do you use your nearsightedness as an asset at work? Such as looking at stuff up close? Yes, sometimes Calibrating or testing optical devices? No
vever

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Are the glasses prescription? Are they sunglasses? Are they otherwise tinted?
Balin

Postby vever » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:28 pm

Balin wrote:Are the glasses prescription? One pair is
Are they sunglasses? Are they otherwise tinted? No sunglasses and no tint
vever

Postby irishelk » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:34 pm

Is it the case that you normally wear glasses all the time, but specifically take them off some days at work? Or do you usually not wear glasses, except for some days at work? Contacts relevant at all?

Does looking at something with your eyesight slightly blurred/unfocused help at work? Are you trying to determine how a product or service would be experienced by other nearsighted people? Are you blocking out distractions in any way?

When you have your glasses off, are you interacting with people? With specific items? Specific software? Reading? Looking at a computer screen? Looking at something far away? Keeping your eyes closed?
irishelk

Postby vever » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:08 pm

irishelk wrote:Is it the case that you normally wear glasses all the time, but specifically take them off some days at work? Or do you usually not wear glasses, except for some days at work? That's the question! ;-) But why? Contacts relevant at all? Oh yes, explore!

Does looking at something with your eyesight slightly blurred/unfocused help at work? No Are you trying to determine how a product or service would be experienced by other nearsighted people? Sometimes, but irrelevant Are you blocking out distractions in any way? No

When you have your glasses off, are you interacting with people? With specific items? Specific software? No Reading? Looking at a computer screen? I'm looking at a computer screen every day. Looking at something far away? Keeping your eyes closed?No to both
vever

Postby irishelk » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:00 pm

Ah. On the days where you are not wearing glasses all day at work, are you wearing contacts?
Do you wear contacts certain days, and put on glasses on top of them at certain times? If so, when driving? Or commuting in some other way?

Are the contacts a strong enough prescription to work with, but not to drive with?

EDIT AFTER ACTUALLY READING THE ANSWERS ABOVE :mrgreen: : Are you wearing two different pairs of glasses on different days? Are the ones you wear while driving non-prescription?
WAG: Is it so that if you get pulled over, you look like your driver's license?
irishelk

Postby vever » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:55 pm

Ah. On the days where you are not wearing glasses all day at work, are you wearing contacts? Yes
Do you wear contacts certain days, and put on glasses on top of them at certain times? Yes
If so, when driving? Yes Or commuting in some other way? Well, see the spoiler :-)

Are the contacts a strong enough prescription to work with, but not to drive with? Yes, that's the whole point.

EDIT AFTER ACTUALLY READING THE ANSWERS ABOVE :mrgreen: : Are you wearing two different pairs of glasses on different days? Yes
Are the ones you wear while driving non-prescription? Yes
WAG: Is it so that if you get pulled over, you look like your driver's license? Hehe, I would have to look up that.. Well, I wear my glasses on my Driver's license, but I don't think the police would cause any real trouble.

******* SPOILER *********
Now I'm getting older and presbyopia is v ery much an issue. It has always been great to be able to just take off the prescription glasses and see anything close up. When looking at a computer screen, I can just slide my glasses down my nose to adjust the strength to the screen distance. Sometimes I have to inspect new hardware circuit boards and maybe do some soldering - then I just take my glasses off.

Lately I've wanted to wear contacts from time to time, just like in my youth. I soon realized I would need reading glasses and I hate them! It's just too awkward to put on glasses when looking close up. I'm used to do the oposite!
So, I talked to the optician that maybe I'd wear weak contacts and very weak glasses while commuting. (weak contacts + very weak glasses = perfect vision at a distance) So, when no new hardware is brewing, I wear weak contacts at work, which will let me read the screen just fine. (And if in need, I CAN use the damn reading glasses too)
vever

Postby vever » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:20 am

I was apparently a bit distracted when I wrote the final reply, but I'll try to make up for it. Congratulations irishelk, good job!
vever

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles