(klondike mary] That's life

Current and recently solved lateral thinking puzzles. Please post new lateral thinking puzzles here.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

(klondike mary] That's life

Postby klondike mary » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:51 pm

I'll bet there isn't anything like that in the other one.
Or in any of the other other ones.
Maybe Ida has one - I don't know.
klondike mary

Re: (klondike mary] That's life

Postby Doriana » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:03 pm

the other one = other room? house? car? town? state? country?
Ida = H/A/F? Someone you know? a fictional character? a celebrity? Would you be able to find out whether Ida one?
Doriana

Postby klondike mary » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:45 pm

the other one = other room? house? car? No to all.town?Yes. state? country? These are relevant, so yope.
Ida = H/A/F? Someone you know? a fictional character? a celebrity? No to all.Would you be able to find out whether Ida one? Yes, if I made the effort.
Doriana
klondike mary

Postby biograd » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:07 am

Ida know if Ida has one. Ida asked her if Ida known about it.

Does Ida refer to the state of Idaho? an organization with the acronym IDA (there seem to be lots of those)?

Is the thing (of which there might not be "anything like that" elsewhere) a tangible object? a place? an event/occurrence? a name? an abstract quality?
biograd

Postby klondike mary » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:17 am

Ida know if Ida has one. Ida asked her if Ida known about it.

Does Ida refer to the state of Idaho? Yes! an organization with the acronym IDA (there seem to be lots of those)?

Is the thing (of which there might not be "anything like that" elsewhere) a tangible object? Yes, no to the rest.a place? an event/occurrence? a name? an abstract quality?
klondike mary

Postby JenBurdoo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:49 pm

Are the "ones" which the tangible object is in spaces or locations? If so, are they outdoors? Indoors?

Is the object a sign?
JenBurdoo

Postby klondike mary » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:54 am

Are the "ones" which the tangible object is in spaces or locations?Yes. If so, are they outdoors? Indoors? Ourdoors.

Is the object a sign? No.
JenBurdoo
klondike mary

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:40 am

Infrastructure relevant? Art? Nature? Are the things manmade? Bigger than breadboxes? Cars? Skyscrapers?
GalFisk

Postby klondike mary » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:40 pm

Infrastructure relevant? Art? This. Nature? Are the things manmade? Yes. Bigger than breadboxes? Yes. Cars? Skyscrapers? No to both.
GalFisk
klondike mary

Postby JenBurdoo » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:12 pm

Statues? Grafitti?
JenBurdoo

Postby trebor » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:27 pm

Is there some reason that Idaho would be more likely to have one than another state? Are potatoes relevant? Is anything related to agriculture relevant?

Is the puzzle a conversation? If so, does it go Speaker 1, Speaker 2, Speaker 1?
trebor

Postby klondike mary » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:03 pm

Statues? YES Grafitti? no
JenBurdoo
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:08 pm

Is there some reason that Idaho would be more likely to have one than another state? Are potatoes relevant? Is anything related to agriculture relevant? I don't know if Idaho does have one, just that it is more likely there than in some other places. Neither potatoes nor agriculture is relevant, but ID's location within the US might be.

Is the puzzle a conversation? If so, does it go Speaker 1, Speaker 2, Speaker 1? No, consider it to be me musing to myself.
trebor
klondike mary

Postby biograd » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:07 pm

A statue of a specific person? a specific type of person (e.g. missionary, general in the army, etc.)? a statue of a person holding something in particular? or performing a particular activity? a statue located in a particular type of place (e.g. in front of a city hall, near the capitol building, etc.)? I mean in the sense of what attribute of the statue would make it "like that", whereas a random other statue wouldn't be.

Is the relevance of Idaho when it was first settled? when it became a state? which native people lived there originally?
biograd

Postby klondike mary » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:48 am

A statue of a specific person? No. a specific type of person (e.g. missionary, general in the army, etc.)? Yope, allowing for a slight FA a statue of a person holding something in particular? Yope - not exactly 'holding' or performing a particular activity? a statue located in a particular type of place (e.g. in front of a city hall, near the capitol building, etc.)? Yes, but not these examples I mean in the sense of what attribute of the statue would make it "like that", whereas a random other statue wouldn't be. Sort of, you might say.

Is the relevance of Idaho when it was first settled? when it became a state?Yopish, also its location. which native people lived there originally? No.
biograd
klondike mary

Postby biograd » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:41 am

So in order to qualify as being "like that", a statue would need to A) be of a certain type of person, B) include some object as part of the statue (though not one that the person would be said to be holding), and C) be located/displayed in a certain type of surroundings--am I reading your answers correctly?

As for the type of person (though by your reply, not along the lines of the ones I listed), is it a person of a specific race/ethnicity (e.g. Native American)?

As for the object, is it an article of clothing? something else worn on the body? something the person is standing and/or sitting on?

As for the location, would it need to be inside a specific (type of) building? in front of or otherwise next to a specific (type of) building? be placed in/around some topographic/geologic feature (e.g. on an island, on a bridge, carved out of a mountainside, etc.)?
biograd

Postby klondike mary » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 pm

So in order to qualify as being "like that", a statue would need to A) be of a certain type of person,Yes, DOYD "person" B) include some object as part of the statue (though not one that the person would be said to be holding), and C) be located/displayed in a certain type of surroundings--am I reading your answers correctly? Yes, you are.

As for the type of person (though by your reply, not along the lines of the ones I listed), is it a person of a specific race/ethnicity (e.g. Native American)? No, but.....Explore.

As for the object, is it an article of clothing? something else worn on the body? Most people would say it is an article of clothing. something the person is standing and/or sitting on?

As for the location, would it need to be inside a specific (type of) building? in front of or otherwise next to a specific (type of) building? It would often be placed near a specific type of building. be placed in/around some topographic/geologic feature (e.g. on an island, on a bridge, carved out of a mountainside, etc.)? No to this, but geography in the sense of maps is relevant.
biograd
klondike mary

Postby biograd » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:46 pm

Is the "person" a member of a mythical "race" (elf, dwarf, leprechaun, etc.)?

Is the "mostly article of clothing" a hat? a type of shoes? gloves?

Is the building where it would often be located near related to a government function? entertainment? art? manufacturing of something?
biograd

Postby klondike mary » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:47 pm

Is the "person" a member of a mythical "race" (elf, dwarf, leprechaun, etc.)? Noish, or yopish, depending on your POV

Is the "mostly article of clothing" a hat? a type of shoes? footwear, yes. gloves?

Is the building where it would often be located near related to a government function? entertainment? art? manufacturing of something? No to all of these.
biograd
klondike mary

Postby Sundowner » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:39 pm

Is the person a fictional character? a generic person (like: a railway worker, a trapper, ..)? or maybe an animal?
The footwear: socks? boots? sneakers? sandals? stockings?
About Idaho: relevant that it's located in the mountains? that it's bordering to Canada?
WAG: German immigration to Idaho relevant?
Sundowner

Postby klondike mary » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:45 am

Is the person a fictional character? Yopish.a generic person (like: a railway worker, a trapper, ..)? or maybe an animal? No to all.
The footwear: socks? boots? Yes. sneakers? sandals? stockings?
About Idaho: relevant that it's located in the mountains? that it's bordering to Canada?Neither is directly relevant.
WAG: German immigration to Idaho relevant? No.
Sundowner
klondike mary

Postby trebor » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:05 am

Is the shape of Idaho relevant? The panhandle? Is the statue of more than one person? Is "the other one" another specific city? Specific state? Are "the other ones" specific cities? Specific states? Are other states that share names (or parts of names) with cities in the state relevant? (Idaho Falls, Oklahoma City, etc.)

Is the person in the statue a religious figure? Jesus? God? A cartoon character? Someone who was based on a real person?
trebor

Postby biograd » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:36 pm

Are the boots specifically cowboy boots? Would a statue like this commonly be near a ranch/barn?
biograd

Postby klondike mary » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:54 pm

Is the shape of Idaho relevant? The panhandle? Idaho may not be relevant at all. I think that they might have one of these things, but do not know whether they do or not. So it would be better to just ignore the state of Idaho.Is the statue of more than one person? Is "the other one" another specific city? yes Specific state? n.r. Are "the other ones" specific cities? Specific states?Yes to both. Are other states that share names (or parts of names) with cities in the state relevant? (Idaho Falls, Oklahoma City, etc.) Yes, cities with the same name are relevant, but not parts of names.

Is the person in the statue a religious figure? yes! Jesus? God? A cartoon character? Someone who was based on a real person? No to all.
trebor
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:57 pm

Are the boots specifically cowboy boots? YESWould a statue like this commonly be near a ranch/barn? Might 'commonly' be there, but not in this puzzle.
Missed this one above: NOT more than one person.

biograd
klondike mary

Postby biograd » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:38 am

Is the building a church?
biograd

Postby klondike mary » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:34 pm

Is the building a church? Yes, 'this' might be located near a church, though not always.
biograd
klondike mary

Postby Mimino » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:23 pm

Does the statue show only boots? or a (yope-ish) person in boots? a person next to boots?
Mimino

Postby klondike mary » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:47 am

Does the statue show only boots? or a (yope-ish) person in boots? this a person next to boots?
Mimino

klondike mary

Postby Sundowner » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:31 am

The religious figure: a priest? monk? prophete? religious leader? a daemon? devil?
a figure from Christianity? Buddhism? Islam? Judaism? Hinduism? other religion?
Are cities with a specific name relevant? if so: does the name contain the word "boots"?
Sundowner

Postby klondike mary » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:14 pm

The religious figure: a priest? monk? prophete? religious leader? a daemon? No, but explore. Definite no to the others. devil?
a figure from Christianity?This. Buddhism? Islam? Judaism? Hinduism? other religion?
Are cities with a specific name relevant? YES. Explore. if so: does the name contain the word "boots"? no.
Sundowner
klondike mary

Postby Mimino » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:31 pm

Adam and/or Eve in cowboy boots? (given that there is a city called Eden in Idaho)
Mimino

Postby klondike mary » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:34 am

Adam and/or Eve in cowboy boots? No, but explore. 'Cowboy books' is right. (given that there is a city called Eden in Idaho)I didn't know that. Forget about Idaho. I'm sorry I mentioned it. There might be something like this in Idaho, but there equally might not be.
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:49 pm

That should be 'cowboy boots, of course.
klondike mary

Postby Mimino » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:21 pm

An angel in cowboy boots?
(hadn't we ruled out Jesus before I would have said Jesus in cowboy boots for sure ..)
Is a statue like that usually found on cemeteries?
Mimino

Postby klondike mary » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:18 am

An angel in cowboy boots?YES
(hadn't we ruled out Jesus before I would have said Jesus in cowboy boots for sure ..)
Is a statue like that usually found on cemeteries?Well, it is found in one particular cemetery in one particular town, but not in other towns. Find out what town & the puzzle is solved.
klondike mary

Postby biograd » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:31 am

Does the angel have blue jeans to match? :D

Does the name of the town involve the word "angel"? something else related to spirituality or religion?
biograd

Postby klondike mary » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:50 pm

Does the angel have blue jeans to match? :D IDK, but believe not!

Does the name of the town involve the word "angel"? No, not Los Angeles. something else related to spirituality or religion? Noish.
biograd
klondike mary

Postby Sundowner » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:07 pm

You said, it's in Texas .. but the LPTF list of census places in Texas would probably not help here .. ?

Is it a name that one might expect also in other states? so not typically Texan?
Is the city named after a person? after an indigenous nation? after a place in Europe (brought there by immigrants)?
Is it a name of Spanish origin?
Sundowner

Postby klondike mary » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:48 pm

You said, it's in Texas .. but the LPTF list of census places in Texas would probably not help here ..At this stage, probably not.
Is it a name that one might expect also in other states? Yes, it is in other states, in fact.so not typically Texan? Correct.Is the city named after a person? after an indigenous nation?No to both.after a place in Europe YES.(brought there by immigrants)?
Is it a name of Spanish origin? No.
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:50 pm

Hint: This city (the one in Texas) has been featured in a movie title.
And the 'other one' in many, many titles. The 'other other ones', not so much.
klondike mary

Postby Mimino » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:16 am

Was the city in Texas named after the capital of an European country?
if so: Moscow?
(as I know that there is Moscow, Idaho, and looked up that there is also Moscow, Texas - and Moscow, Russia, definitely features in the title of several movies)
Mimino

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:59 am

Is it Paris?
Acridian9

Postby klondike mary » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:41 am

Was the city in Texas named after the capital of an European country?Yes.
if so: Moscow? No.
(as I know that there is Moscow, Idaho, and looked up that there is also Moscow, Texas - and Moscow, Russia, definitely features in the title of several movies)
Mimino
klondike mary

Postby klondike mary » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:54 am

Is it Paris?[b]Yes!

******************************SPOILER******************************
I have been informed that in a cemetery in Paris, Texas, there is a statue of an angel in cowboy boots. I am pretty sure the city of Paris, France, does not have something similar. Nor, probably, do the towns of Paris, AR, Paris, ID, and the Parises in IL, IA, KY, ME, MI, MS, NH, NY, 2 in OH, others in OR, PA, TN, VA, WI, Ontario, Denmark, Kiribati, Panama, PR, plus a Paris Peak in Antarctica, and a 'minor planet' in outer space.
I had to be reliably informed because, , even though I lived not far from Paris, TX, for several years, I never visited the town. But seeing at least one of them is now on my bucket list. [

Ah, well, that's life - C'est la vie!/b]
klondike mary

Postby biograd » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:36 pm

I wouldn't put it past half of those to have some cowboy-themed statues. Not the one in France nor the ones in ME, NY, NH, PA, or OR, but the ones in IA, KY, and TN in particular are probably pretty "country", and as you say the one in ID is kind of in the "wild" west.

I've wondered if Florence, AL has any of their own silly "local versions" of any Italian masterpieces as a joke...
biograd

Postby klondike mary » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:33 pm

I've wondered if Florence, AL has any of their own silly "local versions" of any Italian masterpieces as a joke...

I donno, but I have been in Moscow, TX, and didn't see any onion domes, and Palestine doesn't look anything like the Middle East. There might be a good Italian restaurant in Naples, TX, though
klondike mary

Return to Active Lateral Thinking Puzzles