[BeccaK] Lean on Me

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[BeccaK] Lean on Me

Postby BeccaK » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:10 am

Jonathan was nearly killed;
His wife Elizabeth was thrilled.
Last edited by BeccaK on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeccaK

Re: [BeccaK] Lean on Me

Postby Konnie » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Jonathan: HAM? Elizabeth: HAF?
So Jonathan is in fact alive, yes?
Thrilled as in excited and happy? Was Elizabeth happy at the prospect of Jon dying? Or happy that it was only "nearly" and he is okay?
Time and place relevant?
Konnie

Postby BeccaK » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:49 pm

Jonathan: HAM? yes Elizabeth: HAF? yes
So Jonathan is in fact alive, yes? yes
Thrilled as in excited and happy? yes Was Elizabeth happy at the prospect of Jon dying? no Or happy that it was only "nearly" and he is okay? yope/FA/much more to it than this
Time and place relevant? not specifically. assume any larger city in the late 20th/early 21st century
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Nearly killed: was there someone that wanted him dead? attempted to kill him? did he escape a natural disaster? an accident? Did he cause his nearly death?
Is Elizabeth Jonathan's wife? Was she also nearly killed? Was she with Jonathan when he was nearly killed?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:02 am

Nearly killed: was there someone that wanted him dead? no attempted to kill him? no did he escape a natural disaster? no an accident? an accident is involved, but escaping an accident is not Did he cause his nearly death? no
Is Elizabeth Jonathan's wife? yes Was she also nearly killed? no Was she with Jonathan when he was nearly killed? no
BeccaK

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:54 am

Was the thrilled: before Jonathan was nearly killed? during? After? Was he hurt? Would he have been killed if he had been in a slightly different place? Been in a place at a slightly different time? Was he nearly: shot? Stabbed? Frozen? Burned? Electrocuted? Poisoned? Infected? Crushed? Strangulated? Did he nearly impact something? Fall? Drown? Suffocate? Other people relevant? Vehicle(s) involved? Weapon(s)? Is their relationship relevant? If so is it good? Bad? Money relevant? Insurance? Was Jonathan also thrilled?
GalFisk

Postby BeccaK » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:45 am

Was she thrilled: before Jonathan was nearly killed? no during? no After? yes Was he hurt? yes Would he have been killed if he had been in a slightly different place? yes Been in a place at a slightly different time? I suppose this would do as well Was he nearly: shot? Stabbed? Frozen? Burned? Electrocuted? Poisoned? Infected? Crushed? this is closest Strangulated? Did he nearly impact something? he did impact something... Fall? ...which caused him to fall Drown? Suffocate? Other people relevant? yes, one. Vehicle(s) involved? yes Weapon(s)? no Is their relationship relevant? yope If so is it good? mostly Bad? no, but... Money relevant? no Insurance? no Was Jonathan also thrilled? no
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:18 am

Was Jonathan inside a vehicle? Did the vehicle fall too? from a bridge?
Is Elizabeth's thrill related to Jonathan? or is she thrilled for another reason? Was she at home at the time she was thrilled? A phone call relevant?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:22 pm

Was Jonathan inside a vehicle? no Did the vehicle fall too? no from a bridge?
Is Elizabeth's thrill related to Jonathan? yes or is she thrilled for another reason? Was she at home at the time she was thrilled? yes A phone call relevant? no
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:06 pm

Was Elizabeth watching the news? Didi she saw Jonathan on TV?

Did Jonathan fall from an elevated position (wrt where he landed)? or was he just standing and fell to the ground?

How many vehicles involved: one? two? more? Is the other relevant person the driver of one of those vehicles?
Relevant what type of vehicle? a car? a truck? a train?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Was Elizabeth watching the news? no Didi she saw Jonathan on TV? no

Did Jonathan fall from an elevated position (wrt where he landed)? no or was he just standing and fell to the ground? yes

How many vehicles involved: one? this two? more? Is the other relevant person the driver of one of those vehicles? yes, and nothing else about this person is relevant
Relevant what type of vehicle?not specifically a car? but it's this a truck? a train?
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:08 am

Did Elizabeth know about Jonathan accident? Was she waiting for him? Did she have a good news to tell Jonathan?

So Jonathan was hit by a car, right? Was it done on purpose? Relevant where? Relevant where was Jonathan going? home? to work? Jonathan's job relevant? Elizabeth's?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 am

Did Elizabeth know about Jonathan accident? yes Was she waiting for him? irrel Did she have a good news to tell Jonathan? no

So Jonathan was hit by a car, right? yes Was it done on purpose? no Relevant where? no Relevant where was Jonathan going? no home? to work? Jonathan's job relevant? no Elizabeth's? no
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:48 pm

Relevant where Jonathan was when Elizabeth was thrilled? was he at home? Was he still hurt from the accident?
A travel relevant?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:57 am

Relevant where Jonathan was when Elizabeth was thrilled? yes was he at home? yes Was he still hurt from the accident? yes
A travel relevant? not sure I understand what you mean... can you rephrase?
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:10 pm

BeccaK wrote:A travel relevant? not sure I understand what you mean... can you rephrase?

Just to exclude the possibility they had planned a travel or trip to somewhere. Specifically, a travel to a place where Jonathan could be cured, or an always-dreamed vacation.

Is Jonathan still in danger for life? Does he need a special treatment to get well? Can he fully recover at home?
How much time after the accident Elizabeth was thrilled: hours? days? weeks? months?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:12 pm

Just to exclude the possibility they had planned a travel or trip to somewhere. Specifically, a travel to a place where Jonathan could be cured, or an always-dreamed vacation. Aha. No traveling or vacation of the sort is relevant

Is Jonathan still in danger for life? no Does he need a special treatment to get well? no, but somewhat OTRT Can he fully recover at home? yes
How much time after the accident Elizabeth was thrilled: hours? days? this weeks? but likely continued for this duration months?
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:12 pm

Is Elizabeth thrilled because Jonathan is forced to stay home? because she has the opportunity to take care of him?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:41 am

Is Elizabeth thrilled because Jonathan is forced to stay home? no, FA because she has the opportunity to take care of him? no
BeccaK

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:26 am

Was Jonathan planning something that was cut short by his injury? Perhaps something that Elizabeth disagreed with?
JenBurdoo

Postby BeccaK » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:39 am

Was Jonathan planning something that was cut short by his injury? no Perhaps something that Elizabeth disagreed with? so no
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:14 am

A prescription relevant? a specific medication? a drug?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:11 pm

A prescription relevant? a specific medication? a drug? none of these, but you're very much OTRT
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:01 pm

I Jonathan able to walk? eat? does he have a plaster cast? a wheelchair relevant?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Is Jonathan able to walk? yope!! eat? yes does he have a plaster cast? yes! wheelchair relevant? no
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Is Jonathan able to drive? Is Elizabeth allowed to drive his car? or just allowed to drive?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Is Jonathan able to drive? Is Elizabeth allowed to drive his car? or just allowed to drive? all irrelevant. Assume that both Jonathan's and Elizabeth's ability and opportunity to drive are unchanged.
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:27 am

Relevant where the cast is? on one leg? both? arms? Writing/drawing something on the cast relevant?
Is Elizabeth thrilled because she can do something better than Jonathan? because she can do something that Jonathan can't do?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:53 am

Relevant where the cast is? yes on one leg? this both? no arms? no Writing/drawing something on the cast relevant? no
Is Elizabeth thrilled because she can do something better than Jonathan? no because she can do something that Jonathan can't do? no
BeccaK

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:35 am

Is there something particular about the cast that's relevant? Is it an ordinary plaster cast?
Is the cast on Jonathan's right leg? Left leg? Relevant?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:23 am

Crutches relevant? Issues walking relevant? Some other device for helping him walk relevant? Or get around without walking? Was she thrilled when he had the cast? After it was removed? After he could walk normally again? Could he ever walk normally again?
GalFisk

Postby BeccaK » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Is there something particular about the cast that's relevant? no Is it an ordinary plaster cast? yes
Is the cast on Jonathan's right leg? Left leg? Relevant? irrel

Crutches relevant? very much so Issues walking relevant? yesSome other device for helping him walk relevant? no Or get around without walking? yes; may mislead Was she thrilled when he had the cast? yes After it was removed? no After he could walk normally again? no Could he ever walk normally again? yes
BeccaK

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:15 pm

Was she thrilled in a specific location? While he was in a specific location? Did he relevantly walk with the crutches? Did he use some other object? Did he help her in ways he didn't before? Or help her more than before?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:27 pm

Are the crutches metal or wooden? Relevant?
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:33 pm

Are the crutches used for something other than walking? Does she use the crutches? hide them?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:32 am

Was she thrilled in a specific location? yes While he was in a specific location? yes Did he relevantly walk with the crutches? yes Did he use some other object? yes Did he help her in ways he didn't before? no Or help her more than before? no

Are the crutches metal or wooden? Relevant? irrel

Are the crutches used for something other than walking? yes Does she use the crutches? no hide them? no
BeccaK

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:38 am

Does he use the crutches for the other something? Does she? Is this "other something" a one-time thing? Does it happen more than once? Regularly?
Climate relevant? Season?
Are the crutches used to reach something? Prop something up?
Are either of their lives in danger during the puzzle (other than Jonathan being hit by a car)?
Balin

Postby BeccaK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:53 am

Does he use the crutches for the other something? yes Does she? no Is this "other something" a one-time thing? no Does it happen more than once? yes Regularly? yes
Climate relevant? noish Season? no
Are the crutches used to reach something? yes Prop something up? no
Are either of their lives in danger during the puzzle (other than Jonathan being hit by a car)? no
BeccaK

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:36 am

Is Elizabeth afraid of heights?
Balin

Postby BeccaK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:45 am

Is Elizabeth afraid of heights? no
BeccaK

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:03 am

Technology relevant? Can he reach out with the crutch and change the channel on a TV that has no remote control, instead of asking her to do it?
GalFisk

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:16 am

Are the crutches used in a particular room? to switch something on/off? to pull something close? to push something away?
Insects or other animals relevant?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:48 pm

Technology relevant? of a sort Can he reach out with the crutch and change the channel on a TV that has no remote control, instead of asking her to do it? not this

Are the crutches used in a particular room? yes, for svv of room to switch something on/off? no to pull something close? no to push something away? no
Insects or other animals relevant? no
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:54 pm

Are the crutches used at home? Jumping a queue relevant?
Acridian9

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Are the crutches used to: push something? Open something? Tip something over? Can it be done with one crutch? Doors relevant? Attic trapdoor? Reaching something in a ceiling? Is it done indoors?
GalFisk

Postby BeccaK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:41 am

Are the crutches used at home? yope. yes for svv of "home" Jumping a queue relevant? no

Are the crutches used to: push something? yes Open something? no Tip something over? no Can it be done with one crutch? yes Doors relevant? only tangentially Attic trapdoor? no Reaching something in a ceiling? no Is it done indoors? yes
BeccaK

Postby Balin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:44 am

Are they used in the bathroom? Kitchen? Living room? Dining room? Library? Bedroom? Garage? Cellar?
Balin

Postby BeccaK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:56 am

Are they used in the bathroom? Kitchen? Living room? Dining room? Library? Bedroom? Garage? Cellar?

no to all
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:16 am

A caravan or camper relevant?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:35 pm

A caravan or camper relevant? no
BeccaK

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Svv of "home": his home? Her home? Someone else's home? Outside of a home? Old folk's home? Hospital? Hotel/motel? Camping site? Boat? Other watercraft? Vehicle? Aircraft? Stairs relevant? Does he have any relevant disabilities (apart from the broken leg)? Does she?
GalFisk

Postby BeccaK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Svv of "home": his home? yes Her home? yes Someone else's home? no Outside of a home? yope Old folk's home? no Hospital? no Hotel/motel? no Camping site? no Boat? no Other watercraft? no Vehicle? no Aircraft? no Stairs relevant? yes Does he have any relevant disabilities (apart from the broken leg)? yes, though some would disagree with the characterization Does she? no
BeccaK

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:23 pm

Stairs: outside? Inside? Fire escape? Does he have poor balance? Can he walk stairs better with crutches? Has she needed to help him navigate stairs? Carry him on stairs?
GalFisk

Postby BeccaK » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:23 am

Stairs: outside? Inside? this Fire escape? Does he have poor balance? no Can he walk stairs better with crutches? no/irrel Has she needed to help him navigate stairs? no Carry him on stairs? no

possible lurking FA with this line of questioning
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:44 am

Are crutches used to push something down the stairs? up?
Are they used before climbing? before descending? during climbing? during descending? after climbing? after descending?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:01 am

Are crutches used to push something down the stairs? up? neither
Are they used before climbing? before descending? during climbing? during descending? after climbing? after descending? no and FA to all
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:15 am

Are crutches used at the top of the stairs? at the bottom? in the middle?
Is the thing that is pushed with the crutches fixed to something? or can it be moved freely?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:22 am

Are crutches used at the top of the stairs? at the bottom? in the middle? no to all
Is the thing that is pushed with the crutches fixed to something? yes or can it be moved freely? it can be moved a very limited distance, but is otherwise stationary
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:08 am

Can Jonathan normally use the stairs? Can he now, with the broken leg? Is there any device to avoid using the stairs?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:38 pm

Is a chair lift relevant? (Not like a ski lift, I mean one used to assist handicapped people up stairs.)
Balin

Postby BeccaK » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:02 pm

Can Jonathan normally use the stairs? yes, but... Can he now, with the broken leg? yes, but... Is there any device to avoid using the stairs? yes

Is a chair lift relevant? no (Not like a ski lift, I mean one used to assist handicapped people up stairs.)
BeccaK

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:33 pm

A lift relevant? Are crutches used to push a lift buttons? which are usually pressed by Elizabeth? because Jonathan is too short to reach?
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:00 am

A lift relevant? yes Are crutches used to push a lift buttons? yes which are usually pressed by Elizabeth? but not this because Jonathan is too short to reach? precisely

I'm going to call this close enough for a ********SPOILER**********

Jonathan is the midget in the classic LTP, who lives at the top of a tall building and must take the stairs for the last few flights because he can't reach the elevator buttons. As we all know, when it's raining and he has his umbrella, he can ride up the whole way.

In my re-imagining of the classic, Jonathan is married, and lately there has not been much rain. Every day Jonathan comes home from work in a terrible mood, complaining about having to walk up the stairs. His wife Elizabeth is sick of hearing him whine.

One day, Jonathan gets hit by a car while crossing the street. He is lucky not to have been killed, and only to have broken his leg. This requires him to wear a cast and use crutches. After a few days he returns to work, and when he returns in the evenings he is able to use the crutches to press the elevator button for the top floor. Elizabeth is thrilled, because Jonathan no longer has reason for his daily diatribe about those horrible stairs. At least until his leg heals...
BeccaK

Re: [BeccaK] Lean on Me (**SOLVED**)

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:48 am

Brilliant!!!
Acridian9

Postby BeccaK » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:35 am

Brilliant!!! Thanks!!
BeccaK

Postby Balin » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Love it!